• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

any opinion on my life right now would prove useful.

tennant90

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I recently left a catering company after working for them for three years due to the fact that I worked my ass off in the kitchen (as a microwave technician) and didn't get the respect I deserved at all.

Basically I got a new job in a new kitchen. It's a smaller business and it started off so well, the boss was being really nice and I was thinking how my luck has finally changed, that I finally have a good job. Work colleagues were pretty sound too.

As I said, my boss was being super nice. Just giving me money because I had none as I had changed from weekly pay to monthly. Slipping me tobacco when I needed it. Saying I'm a good worker ect. Deep down I was feeling a bit odd about all this. Like it was too good to be true.
There's only three people Rota'd for the kitchen all week. We have an insufficient amount of people and I got thinking why this is and that if this manager is so nice, why are people just walking out?

2 weeks later ( I have only been here a month) I noticed a change in his attitude. I kinda brushed it off due to him having stresses about the job, ya know, like any manager in his position. I then started noticing how shit he would treat my other colleague. I starting thinking "how long till this is me?". Again I carried on my job as usual.

Recently my boss has become very distant. Distant as opposed to him being all touchy feely, cuddly, up beat (he's gay and I'm not saying this because of his sexuality but I did notice he was a little closer to me than others, which kinda creeped me out. Especially when he would feel my ass I'm straight and I let it go cos he's my boss ya know?).

So yeah yesterday he came into the kitchen after I was in there for 8 hours doing a perfectly fine job and he was in a foul mood, started asking me loads of stupid questions e.g "why is the oil in the friar gone down so much?" My response "it's 8 o'clock in the evening and we have been busy all day, oil will naturally go down (then thinking in my head "you stupid fuck!!") It was just the way he asked it though and the look on his face to how 'disgusted' he was that I allowed this inevitable action to take place. He just got in the way and generally made me feel uncomfortable about myself and the job I was working in. He was obviously taking out his personal issues on me. This does not go down well with me when I'm on a all day shift in a hot kitchen on my own on a Friday evening within the build up to Patrick's day. So I was Pissed at him. He carried on his attitude after I was being pleasant to him numerous times despite my own anger. I just felt shit and ended up walking out leaving the kitchen in a shit tip for the fucker to clean himself. Like I'm not going to work for one place to feel bad and go to another place that's the same.

I'm in this place with my life where I know I'm worth more! I'm at college redoing my gcse's and I have a place in my science and engineering course in September. I have a lot going for me at this time in my life. I'm just going through a small self worth dilemma.
Was it right what I did? Also, I'm wanting to get out of catering all together and start something else but I don't know what. I feel domesticated, as in, catering is the only thing I know but 9 years in the business hasn't shown a lot. Also someone with a bit of understanding about this would go a long way right now. I'm in a seriously sticky situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Why you gotta make me feel inferior cuz I'm on the grille, b?"

If you just walked out you may not have a job to come back to so not sure what you're asking.

^ fuck why did you have to point that out, haha I can't even get through the post now:\. Without thinking about a microwave technician.

Apparently microwave technicians get salary.;)

Apparently this restaurant microwaves a lot of their meals? But the boss grabbed your ass, that's unacceptable and grounds for sexual harassment.

Yeah microwave technician :p or food organiser. Anyway moving on.
Basically I've hit a brick wall in my life. I want out, I wanna do something different but it'll be hard to do so. What's the easiest way to lead onto a new direction in my life? I look at jobs and it's only catering I know.

And yeah of course I don't have a job, I was still in my probation period. This boss wasn't in any fit state to cuss his employers. He only has two people working for him in the kitchen now. Like, just because you get paid more and are higher should not mean you are in any way allowed to treat people the way he did. I am tempted to write a letter of sexual harassment as it wasn't on. Like, he did it more than once too.

I'm getting a visual of Gordon Ramsay screaming at a sweat-covered guy working the fryer. What an arsehole!

Well, have you considered going back to school full-time rather than working your way through? I don't know what the possibility of loans is in your case.

Have you consulted the Uni about entry level jobs in the field you are trying to get a degree in?

Perhaps you can sue the company for sexual harassment and get a bit of money that way? You really shouldn't put up with that, especially from your boss!

Just a few thoughts.

The microwave thing made my hair stand on end for a few reasons - we'll leave it that I don't cook with them or knowingly eat anything out of them. On to the more important point, though: your boss made an unwanted advance on you. I hope he gets fired. I'd write a letter, certainly, to document the concerns you told us here.

There are bosses out there who treat their employees with respect. You can get a part-time job for one of them. Keep looking, don't become disheartened.

Recently my boss has become very distant. Distant as opposed to him being all touchy feely, cuddly, up beat (he's gay and I'm not saying this because of his sexuality but I did notice he was a little closer to me than others, which kinda creeped me out. Especially when he would feel my ass I'm straight and I let it go cos he's my boss ya know?).

Is this real life? I don't know any straight guys that would let their boss feel their ass and not beat the shit out of them.

So if I understood correctly, you're studying for a college degree?
Why not just keep working in the catering field (even if you don't like it) until you get that degree... and then you should be able to get a better job.

Nuttynutskin - are you referring to me as being gay myself because I merely accepted his advances? Look, he did what he did and it was like done in a very friendly way if ya know what I mean? So I just saw it as being friendly but he was doing it because of lonely tendencies. I am justifying it but I still think it's wrong. I am tempted to write a letter about it. But I don't wanna be a cunt about it. Just to inform you also, I'm just not a fighting kinda guy. I've done it before and it doesn't solve anything.

I am studying part time currently doing my English and maths. Will be doing an access course in science and engineering in September if I acquire my grades. Choose my university in December to do physics. That's the plan. This plan will not foil if I can't afford to live in york due to my ways of carelessness. Erm, I've signed on. Benefits will help. Got a phone today and did my CV and got paid. So now I just need to get the train running. I've kinda sorted a plan B if I can't afford to live in york. I think now I just need a bit of luck.

It's a difficult one and I can see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to look for private businesses. Like cafe's and such..barman in a pub. Something chilled out so I can focus on college better. That's the plan and it would be really good if it turns out my way. I hope if anybody here is also going through the same shit they can see this thread and work something out themselves.

Nuttynutskin - are you referring to me as being gay myself because I merely accepted his advances? Look, he did what he did and it was like done in a very friendly way if ya know what I mean? So I just saw it as being friendly but he was doing it because of lonely tendencies. I am justifying it but I still think it's wrong. I am tempted to write a letter about it. But I don't wanna be a cunt about it. Just to inform you also, I'm just not a fighting kinda guy. I've done it before and it doesn't solve anything.

No I'm not saying you're gay, I just find it unbelievable that you let your boss sexually harass you.

Apparently this restaurant microwaves a lot of their meals? But the boss grabbed your ass, that's unacceptable and grounds for sexual harassment.
Yes exactly. Like what others have mentioned you can always work in another field/company who treat their employees well then also continue your schooling.

Microwaving food is a lazy way of making food that's supposed to be served to the customers.