• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any cyclists?

Wow, looks like a great bike! Do you have a bike shop where you could actually try one out?

I tried a dual-suspension bike on a trail I normally run and the extra weight ruined it for me. I couldn't see myself trading the standard mtn bike frame for one of these beasts, but front shocks alone are good enough to handle rough terrain and small hops, so the extra strength of a downhill bike isn't as valuable to me as the boost to uphill momentum that comes with a lighter frame.

$3300 is pretty steep but the value could be concentrated in the frame, hard to tell without seeing it in person. The brake and drivetrain components are all off-the-shelf though so you could build a similar clone for half the price with a frame bought off Amazon and everything else bought at a local bike shop.

In conclusion, probably worth it if you plan to incorporate big jumps into your riding routine, but if you can do without big jumps and love XC then I can highly recommend splurging on the lightest chromoly frame you can find instead

I tried a dual-suspension bike on a trail I normally run and the extra weight ruined it for me
My main criteria is a full suspension bike and I think this bike might be even lighter than my hardtail
probably worth it if you plan to incorporate big jumps into your riding routine
Just some small downhills and big bumps. I've ridden a full suspension downhill bike before and it felt incredible.
Do you have a bike shop where you could actually try one out?
That's a hard part. Have to look all over Ontario to see if they have one in stock.

Just went out of town to try the Specialized Enduro. It's way too much bike. Now looking at the Apollo Copper head and some trek bikes, too.

yeah, i'd be interested to see if you can actually find a dual-suspension frame that is neither too heavy nor too cumbersome. all the ones i've ever seen are made of aluminium, which sounds good in theory because everyone equates aluminium with lightness, but the strength:weight ratio falls short compared to steel alloys so they have to make up for it with either geometry tricks that increase size, or by adding more material which increases weight, or some combination of the two.

so this leads to the question of compromise: would you rather sacrifice having rear suspension for a light and strong frame, or uphill mobility for downhill prowess? Though you might not have to compromise, I'm sure someone somewhere produces either a chromoly or hybrid steel/aluminium dual-suspension frame that falls into the price range that Enduro bike is in...

The Apollo wasn't super light, but it was very forward oriented which is what I've had before and liked. The trails around here have very sharp cornering, so I tested it out by trying to do a full 180 between the lines in the parking lot. The downhill/all mountain bikes couldn't do it comfortably.

Found a new bike to drool over

Trek remedy 7
Asset_336004

Yep. I don't quite get how it works but they pumped up and then calibrated the shocks for me

right on, stiffness changes handling quite a lot, i remember taking a nasty slide off a trail due to slightly softer damping, really caught me off guard. i'll be curious to know what you end up settling on, since you have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for