• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Any Alternate ROA For Codeine/ Better BA??

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
The prescribing laws for Dihydrocodeine in the UK have changed and it can now only be prescribed to people in hospital so I've been switched to Codeine. The problem is that DHC is ~2x as strong as codeine and the maximum daily dose for both is 240mg...so I've essentially had my opioid dose cut in half.
I spent 6 days in hell as my body protested the sudden significant reduction. I am prescribed a small (very small) amount of Morphine, too, but I had none during that time as I'm on such a small dose I usually take the 14 day prescription in 3 or 4 days.

I'm past probably 95% of the withdrawal now (just occasional random bouts of anxiety/shaking/tachycardia* but the issue is that struggled with my pain while on the DHC - I'm waiting for an appointment at the Pain Clinic...my doctor said he'll take their advice RE: increasing my morphine - so at times I'm in agony, almost crying in pain. Is there an ROA other than oral (or IM) that will increase the BA?

*I was pretty concerned during days 2-4 of the withdrawal as my pulse which is normally around 60 bpm (I'm slim, do what exercise my pain allows and am on sedatives) was consistently between 112bpm and 148bpm. My mum even had to give me one of her Bisoprolol (5mg..it's meant to be slow-release once a day but I chewed that shit) when it was 148...60 to 148 is an insane difference. Thankfully, the Bisoprolol brought it down to 95bpm. Still not great, but much better.

The prescribing laws for Dihydrocodeine in the UK have changed and it can now only be prescribed to people in hospital so I've been switched to Codeine. The problem is that DHC is ~2x as strong as codeine and the maximum daily dose for both is 240mg...so I've essentially had my opioid dose cut in half.
I spent 6 days in hell as my body protested the sudden significant reduction. I am prescribed a small (very small) amount of Morphine, too, but I had none during that time as I'm on such a small dose I usually take the 14 day prescription in 3 or 4 days.

I'm past probably 95% of the withdrawal now (just occasional random bouts of anxiety/shaking/tachycardia* but the issue is that struggled with my pain while on the DHC - I'm waiting for an appointment at the Pain Clinic...my doctor said he'll take their advice RE: increasing my morphine - so at times I'm in agony, almost crying in pain. Is there an ROA other than oral (or IM) that will increase the BA?

*I was pretty concerned during days 2-4 of the withdrawal as my pulse which is normally around 60 bpm (I'm slim, do what exercise my pain allows and am on sedatives) was consistently between 112bpm and 148bpm. My mum even had to give me one of her Bisoprolol (5mg..it's meant to be slow-release once a day but I chewed that shit) when it was 148...60 to 148 is an insane difference. Thankfully, the Bisoprolol brought it down to 95bpm. Still not great, but much better.
Not super experienced with different ROAs for Codeine, have only ever used it orally, but just from glancing at Wikipedia, it looks like oral bioavailability is 90%, so that might be just about the best you can do. There might be some other way to potentiate it, I'm assuming that you might already know of those ways as a chronic pain patient.

I'll also direct you to these couple threads in our directory that might contain some info for you:

Not super experienced with different ROAs for Codeine, have only ever used it orally, but just from glancing at Wikipedia, it looks like oral bioavailability is 90%, so that might be just about the best you can do. There might be some other way to potentiate it, I'm assuming that you might already know of those ways as a chronic pain patient.

I also meant to increase it's morphine conversion, since only ~10% of Codeine is actually metabolized into Morphine (hence why it is also ~1/10th the potency)