• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Any Advice on how to get into Meditation for an Acidhead?

CRICKETBEE

Bluelighter
odd title maybe....I am someone who has been dosing a lot for many years and have
watched many of my friends go Tibetan buddhist....I have always wanted to start meditating seriously (i have done it before but not for years) but have always been too lazy.

I think meditation or other practices would help me integrate my PD experiences and would provide another method of learning about myself, and would make the prospect of tripping less of a reflex and more of a decision.

But I dont even know where to start. (other than closing my eyes and breathing)
Or what to look into. And this might be where some of my lazyness kicks in. I always figure I will get around to it eventually, but I have been saying that for 20 yrs.

ANY ADVICE or links or methods appreciated!

thanks

For some really great meditation techniques I highly recommend the book Turning the Mind into an Ally by Sakyong Mipham. Full of useful info for beginners and veterans alike.

Here's an excerpt:
During meditation--'peaceful abiding'--we train out minds in stability, clarity, and strength. Through this most basic form of sitting meditation, we discover that we can abide peacefully... If we want to undo our own bewilderment and suffering and be of benefit to others and the planet, we're going to have to be responsible for leanring what our mind is and how it works, no matter what beliefs we hold.

Meditation is the natural process of becoming familiar with an object by repeatedly placing our minds upon it... we aren't creating a peaceful state--we're letting our mind be as it is to begin with. This doesn't mean that we're peacefully ignoring things. It means that the mind is able to be in itself without constantly leaving.

Even if you're not inclined to subscribe to Buddhist philosophy there is some great information to be had. happy searching :)

..and mind you: you don't have to be sitting quietly in a dark room to be meditating. You can be walking to school, doing the dishes, whatever. Quiet the mind and focus on the breath. The rest will come with time.

I just read The Mindful Way through Depression (which isn't depression-specific), and think it was an excellent starter for meditation for me. It's co-authored by Jon Kabat-Zinn whose classic is Wherever You Go, There You Are; I plan to read that next.

Mindfulness is awesome, and encompasses much more than meditation. As naginnudej says, you can do it while walking or anything else and it can open up your life in unforseen ways (it already has for me, after only a month of practice).

It's actually very nice to meditate while sober or while tripping. I learned meditation to help with my lucid dreaming. It's pretty simple actually you can meditate while doing anything really. Just slow your thoughts down and focus on your breathing and nothing else. It's a very relaxing thing to do so I highly recommend trying it.

As alluded to above, I've been getting into mindfulness meditation lately and I'm appreciating it more and more. During my last two trips, I experimented with it briefly and the potential seemed quite impressive, but I need to explore more.

Those of you who practice mindful/buddhist meditation: What is your experience with meditating during a trip? How long can it be maintained for? What's it like? Do you find it fruitful? I'm thinking of attempting a long meditation session during my next trip, and I wonder if those of you have tried such a thing have advice...

try the "sacred breath' technique of yoga -
stand up straight with feet 3' apart
breath in through the nose counting 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 raising your arms above your head
hold the breath and keep your arms up counting 1 - 2 3 - 4
exhale and lower your arms with another 1 -2 - 3 - 4
then count again before you inhale..

if you do this for a few minutes you will feel really good and alert.. :)

Zazen is a simple meditation, where you simply focus your entire attention on breathing deeply, and keeping your outward breath as long as you can. It's saved me from panic attacks on many occasions.

Vipassana is a much more intense, difficult form of meditation. I picked up on this a bit in Thailand, where it is mainly practiced. It can get pretty deep, but I haven't tried it in a while. At a very advanced level it supposedly involves encountering Bodhisattva, which sounds almost like a dmt trip<3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassana

thanks everyone for so much great information....i will be trying some of these tonight

Mindfullness In Plain English

From the introduction:

The subject of this book is Vipassana meditation practice. Repeat, practice. This is a meditation manual, a nuts-and-bolts, step-by-step guide to Insight meditation. It is meant to be practical. It is meant for use.

There are already many comprehensive books on Buddhism as a philosophy, and on the theoretical aspects of Buddhist meditation. If you are interested in that material we urge you to read those books. Many of them are excellent. This book is a 'How to.' It is written for those who actually want to meditate and especially for those who want to start now.

Im going to second the Zazen suggestion, check out the book Zen Mind, Beginner Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. It really helped me, especially after the first period of my "heavy tripping" phase.

Also, if you are so inclined, a good translation of The Tibetan Book of the Dead is pretty interesting for the integration process, at least in my experience.

Good luck

Cool suggestions, and thanks to the contributors. I've been curious about this stuff for a while too.

Hello,
Meditation is focusing on becoming aware. This state is unconditioned and thus orthogonal to conditioned existence.

There is nothing that can ever make you forget how to start becoming aware, and there is nothing (read: there is no conditioned experience, this includes everything, from being tortured to experiencing orgasm to all other conditioned states) that can ever hinder or prevent becoming aware.

If, during meditation, you find that what you are doing or experiencing is "like" something (this is awesome, this is boring, this is godlike, I am the only thing that exists, I AM, this is empty, etc.) then you are no longer becoming aware and must focus again on becoming aware. Otherwise you get stuck in suffering. Suffering is simply conditioned existence.

Aren't there many different types of meditation though?

Mindfulness, insight, contemplation, compassion, etc.

^Their more like themes then types. I prefer breath meditation myself- easy enough.