Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anxiety on the come-up

hawaii

Bluelighter
Good evening everyone,
I'm noticing that lately (compared to when I was a careless teenager, i'm almost 25 now) I feel some anxiety on the come-up of some substances.
Expecially with weed, it happens that the first 10 mins after smoking I'm really anxious and a bit paranoid.
After that time I usually let go and anxiety disappears.

It happened once with LSA seeds. The first hour(s) were quite unpleasant (it was my first time, too).
This hasn't happened with LSD yet tho, but set and setting were totally different than the time with LSA, I must say.

Now the real issue: I'm interested in exploring dissociatives (I have some S-isomer K and 1g of MXE) but as I recon they are way more potent than weed and the other psychedelics I'm worried about experiencing severe anxiety.
Do you think this could happen?
Or dissociatives act on different receptor hence they might act as sedatives too?
Is it hard to let go on dissociatives?

I just want to have a good and pleasant experience, almost looking / expecting for some kind of enlightenment on life / birth / death / ancestors...
Not only a funny fucked-up situation :)

Thank you guys, I count on your support!

I haven't done Ketamine myself, but from what I've read, I don't think anxiety will be any concern! It should be sedating and relaxing in itself.

For MXE, it can vary for myself. On lower doses 10-30mg, I will occasionally get some anxiety and a tight chest feeling, though the anxiety is not as pronounced as waiting to peak on a psychedelic. The higher you go though, the anxiety melts away and it feels very relaxing, it feels like entering a dream or sinking slowly.

I personally find dissociatives, (especially ketamine) to have an anxiolytic effect. I like to think of K as "psychedelic alcohol". On the come-up of psychedelics, mental and physical discomfort are common, especially with things that hit faster or are from a natural source (which usually means that they cause stomach discomfort and/or nausea) like Mushrooms and LSA.

I can't help you with dissociatives because I don't have much experience with them. But for psychedelics, the key on the come-up is to move and be active. Go for a walk, or even (this may sound really stupid) dance. At any rate, distract yourself. You'll have a lot of nervous energy as the stimulation and otherworldliness of the trip sets in, and if you sit still and do nothing, that energy will have nowhere to go but into your head, churning around and around in your thoughts. Channel it through your body, and you'll be heaps better off.

Also, consider spacing your doses. I get this frequently on LSD - the trick is to take a quarter of the full dose every ten or fifteen minutes, so that the come-up is smoother, much more like mescaline if you've ever tried that. Taking it all at once can be overload, especially at high doses.

I can't help you with dissociatives because I don't have much experience with them. But for psychedelics, the key on the come-up is to move and be active. Go for a walk, or even (this may sound really stupid) dance. At any rate, distract yourself. You'll have a lot of nervous energy as the stimulation and otherworldliness of the trip sets in, and if you sit still and do nothing, that energy will have nowhere to go but into your head, churning around and around in your thoughts. Channel it through your body, and you'll be heaps better off.

Also, consider spacing your doses. I get this frequently on LSD - the trick is to take a quarter of the full dose every ten or fifteen minutes, so that the come-up is smoother, much more like mescaline if you've ever tried that. Taking it all at once can be overload, especially at high doses.

This makes a lot of sense and also probably explains why a friend of mine had such a rough acid trip with me recently.

The more you overthink it, the more likely it will lead to come-up anxiety...which can spiral into a bad trip via thought loops and such.

Come-up anxiety is normal. Happens to the best of us. You just gotta realize it's all in your perception. For example you could perceive those anxious feelings as "oh I feel so anxious oh woe is me, everything is terrible" OR you could perceive those feelings as "woah, I definitely feelin it kick in, i'm excited for whats to come!"

Just channel your energy into the right headspace, and it'll all be good. Of course, it's a lot easier said than done :p

Right, it just takes practice, and it's harder on a higher dose. This is also one of the reasons mindset is so important. If you're in a good headspace to begin, you're more likely to go in with a positive interpretation. Negative thoughts beget negative thoughts.

Thank a lot for the tips.
Actually my question was oriented more about Ketamine/MXE possible anxiety on the come up, not about LSD or other psychedelics.

Most of the anxiety happens on the comeup, when you think.. 'oh noes am I gonna fry my brain forever this time and end up in a straitjacket!' (this happened with K as I was about to enter into the hole as everything was so damn weird and confusing). The key is to remind yourself that no matter what, you will come back to normal, and to just enjoy it while it lasts. As long as you are in a comfortable and safe place, with nice tunes in the background (not too loud though otherwise it'll sound like gibberish). Never underestimate the power of your favourite music that have special meaning to you playing in the background. That takes a lot of the negativity away for me.

Benzos, not eaten but in your pocket. Just knowing that if this turns out really bad you have a few helpful pills in your pocked will do a lot to prevent bad trips.

IME benzos do not go well with an overly strong trip. They just make me sedated and still unable to sleep which then causes the "sweet jesus if I don't make conscious effort I'll stop breathing" semicomatose state when I'm yawning 10 times per minute and writhe in bed. Not fun. I find that the best approach to avoid/lessen anxiety is to stay outside in the nature and preferably engage in some physical activity; this relieves the tension a lot!

I have never ever got anxiety on dissociatives though, in my case these drugs complete eliminate the fear. They fuck you up hard, yet you are either unaware or simply do not give a shit about your current state.

start small with the K, small doses are quite anxiolitic and mood-lifting but shit can get pretty weird when severe dissociation sets in.
but I'll assure you you won't any problem with light-medium doses.

The dissociation kinda protects you. I can't really get any bad vibes when doing MXE. At first times it was just weird but nowadays its fun and feels good. Doing high doses when unexperienced might be different story tho, start low and there's nothing to worry about. On classical psychedelics like LSD it's pretty easy to get into a bad place when set/settings suck but I really don't see that possible when it comes to dissos. Of course abusing them is again a different story. Know your product and how much you're taking. I recommend drinking plenty of water too when doing mxe

Dissociatives are very anxiolytic, more so than any other types of drugs in my experience. The come-up feels closer to opioids or alcohol than anything else, but with more trippiness of course. On dissociatives I find even thinking about things which normally cause anxiety you feel totally fine, and can even be happy thinking about depressing things/get a better perspective (which happens with psychs too but in a very different way of course, considering everything is made more "real" rather than less so like dissos).

In regards to anxiety on psychedelic come-ups, I kind of feel it's just a part of the process, something you must face to reach the good part. However, I'm very good at not getting "stuck" in those anxious states, which I actually credit to all the anxiety I deal with in day to day life, I'm very used to dealing with anxiety. In those who either don't have much experience with anxiety (lucky fuckers), and as well those who have anxiety issues but aren't so good at brushing them off, I can see why come-ups would be a problem though.

As many people have said... don't push the dosage too far with Keta and you won't experience any anxiety. This is not weed.
Weed is known for causing anxiety and paranoia, even when mindstate and setting are positive. (God, do I fucking hate weed. I used to love it)

It is possible to have anxiety on Ketamine, but only if you go overboard with it. Like aiming for a K-Hole on your first time.
Try little dosages first, then over time raising your dosage.

ya comeups are brutal. For pretty much anything.

Something I noticed with solo LSD, is with nothing distracting/grounding you, the come up feels almost like nod visuals, mind movies, dxm dreamy kinda shit.