Mental Health Anxiety meds which work? (other than benzos)

For stress/anxiety/panic attacks I'm prescribed Traxene (Clorazepate dipotassiom) its "extremely" effective, however it is easily abusable and causes addiction so be very careful if you're prescribed that.
another solution is Amitryptiline on low doses, like 5-10 droplets in the morning, its quite effective and has very few side effects (almost none in low doses according to my doc) not abusable and does not cause addiction.

As someone diagnosted with GAD and depression, the best medicine that helps me with anxiety is fluxetin (recomended by a doctor), but it took a few weeks to get the effect I needed (I took 20 mg in the morning). Venlafaxine also helped me to deal with anxiety, but I've switched for medical reasons. My doctor also gave me Rivotril for anxiety attacks, but I rarely use it and you have to be careful because you can be easily addicted.

INHALE.......exhaleeeeeeeeeee.
INHALE..........exhaleeeeeeeeeeee.
(Repeat as many times as needed)

I really am going to ask for a low dose 1st gen AP, I want something that is as-needed... I do not want to take another daily AP which builds up in your system as I really don't need that. My symptoms are rather mild compared to a true case of schizophrenia and they don't prevent me from functioning. They're just annoying as fuck and contribute to my anxiety (and I'm also extremely prone to drug induced psychosis from anything now even weed and alcohol). I just need SOMETHING after the last few weeks, was in mild/moderate serotonin syndrome. (fuck ashwagandha dont take it for more than 2 weeks)

anyways, I ran out the last of my APs few months ago and I almost feel naked without them. Vulnerable. I'm not in psychosis or anything but it's one of those things that could happen anytime, unpredictable.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm actually quite interested in 1st gen APs.
Can olanzapine been taken as needed an not every day to calm a agitated person down don't know if its a 1st gen AP though

Can olanzapine been taken as needed an not every day to calm a agitated person down don't know if its a 1st gen AP though
Yeah it could technically be used for this purpose, but it's really not advisable to take antipsychotics unless you really need to be on them.

It will calm an agitated person to a certain extent.

olanzapine is 2nd gen, atypical

Yeah it could technically be used for this purpose, but it's really not advisable to take antipsychotics unless you really need to be on them.

It will calm an agitated person to a certain extent.

olanzapine is 2nd gen, atypical
Well I'm not diagnosed with any psychosis or such like but have been have a fear / dread of dying an death an the afterlife I've only just recently been having these morbid thoughts? It could be from smoking weed? only do this mostly on a Friday night. So it's a new symptom really but it's there all the time just fleeting

Well I'm not diagnosed with any psychosis or such like but have been have a fear / dread of dying an death an the afterlife I've only just recently been having these morbid thoughts? It could be from smoking weed? only do this mostly on a Friday night. So it's a new symptom really but it's there all the time just fleeting
I'm not so sure if APs would help with that type of anxiety or intrusive thoughts.

It could definitely be the weed giving you this anxiety.

Also, technically, antipsychotics are connected to increased all-cause mortality rate in older people. Again, one of those things you shouldn't take unless you really need to.

I'm not so sure if APs would help with that type of anxiety or intrusive thoughts.

It could definitely be the weed giving you this anxiety.

Also, technically, antipsychotics are connected to increased all-cause mortality rate in older people. Again, one of those things you shouldn't take unless you really need to.
Do you think mirtazapine is better for intrusive thoughts? also is it better than diazepam for helping keeping me asleep

Do you think mirtazapine is better for intrusive thoughts? also is it better than diazepam for helping keeping me asleep
I think antidepressants are typically used for such purpose, but I'm not really sure.

From my experience the best way to handle intrusive thoughts isn't medication, but things like meditation, therapy, CBT.

We can't really control our thoughts all the time. But we can choose to ignore them, accept them and live with them without having them effect us. This is what helped me, way more than any medication.

Just wondering if anyone knows any medications which are truly and acutely anxiolytic and work for anxiety other than benzos? I'm looking for options for myself when I see my shrink next.

I was going to mention hydroxyzine, which I found to be surprisingly effective for anxiety, but it's major drawback is a ridiculous tolerance gain and it's ineffective after 2-3 days.

I cannot take any SSRIs or anything. Buspar is out of the question. I am not really interested in Baclofen either.

anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? even off label stuff? I'm not trying to get high, literal anxiety relief, anything effective.
Maybe Opipramol?

It used to be an prescribed drug but not anymore. So I am a bit wary maybe it has some kind of toxic effect. And I doubt its available. The Russian's created an whole range of non benzo anti-anxiety drug's which you could check out.

About the Opipramol the effect's were great, gave a good night rest without after effects. My use was to induce sleep, I am not very susceptible to anxiety. But it was indicated for anxiety in 1998. They do mention the anxiolitic effect's take some time.

Or you could go herbal. With a coctail of Ashwhaganda Somniferum, Bacopa Moniere, Gotu Kola/ Skull Cap. Maybe add or leave out certain ones. Just use reasonable dosages. As the effect's of herb's are sometimes a bit subtle making one go a bit overboard.

Excepting herb's like Kratom, Cannabis or Kava Kava. Which are quite potent. The last one is also effective for anxiety, sadly enough its forbidden within the EU. Good look though.

Psyl.mushrooms can relieve anxiety enourmosly,but also can induce it

For some reasons, Doctors have recommended that I take Quentiapine for anxiety reduction however, I never really got much relief of anxiety from it. Maybe it would be a different experience for others? I’m not sure.
Dr's are odd. It was prescribed to me as sleep aid. By my normal dr.

While when I asked for a anti-psychotic at the neurologist specialized in epilepsy. As I have ictal episode's (which is basickly a short during psochosis). Also before I have an epileptic seizure. On internet you can find enough info about stopping the seizure by stopping the psychosis state.
It was denied.

And Pregabalin and maybe Gabapentin seem like very good candidates for the OP's problem. I had Lyrica prescribed for GAD (my dr at that time was very easy with the prescription pad). After the first few day's you don't notice it working anymore but does a good job suppressing stress.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone knows any medications which are truly and acutely anxiolytic and work for anxiety other than benzos? I'm looking for options for myself when I see my shrink next.

I was going to mention hydroxyzine, which I found to be surprisingly effective for anxiety, but it's major drawback is a ridiculous tolerance gain and it's ineffective after 2-3 days.

I cannot take any SSRIs or anything. Buspar is out of the question. I am not really interested in Baclofen either.

anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? even off label stuff? I'm not trying to get high, literal anxiety relief, anything effective.
Benzodiazepines are the only clinically proven, safe anxiolytics available today. The anti-benzo hysteria began perhaps 15 years ago and attempts have been made to introduce other drugs, not clinically proven anxiolytics, as substitutes. There is no evidence SSRIs or similar drugs are any better than placebo. Most antipsychotics will work as anxiolytics, but the side effect profile is orders of magnitude worse. All cause life-shortening changes in blood sugar/lipid profiles, movement disorders that with time are irreversible, and increase the risk of sudden death 10x over baseline.

If you are in the US, I would say searching for a pharmacological intervention is a bad idea. If that is the case, focus on eliminating all commonly available drugs that cause anxiety - alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and marijuana. Eat a diet free of processed foods, "junk" food, and effectively anything you do not make from fresh food yourself. Many such foods contain "flavor enhancers" that are modified morphine-like peptides made from milk and gluten, or are manufactured like beta-carbolines, many of which interfere with dopamine reuptake similar to cocaine or themselves bind to the benzodiazepine complex in a way not dissimilar to benzodiazepines themselves. Eliminate wheat and dairy products from your diet, as their morphine-like properties are calming, but appear to cause withdrawal themselves. No one becomes obese eating nature's "Sweets" like strawberries, apples, oranges, or even bananas. Pizza, candy, and ice cream? Different story.

Exercise has much more clinical evidence than any other pharmacological intervention that any physician can recommend, let alone random people on the internet. It is hard, I know, but it works.

In a sane world, I would say just use benzodiazepines. For the majority of users, withdrawal isn't really any worse than other psychotropics. And they are safe enough that you can take them for the rest of your life without risking sudden death, having a permanent movement disorder, and so on.

But we do not live in a sane world. We live in one, at least in the US, that increasingly is demonizing any drug that has a withdrawal syndrome. They will become increasingly difficult to get, solely because doctors will not risk prescribing them as their professional insurance increasingly is making it difficult thanks to loony websites like benzobuddies instigating frivolous lawsuits over drugs that have 70 years of clinical use.

Dr's are odd. It was prescribed to me as sleep aid. By my normal dr.

While when I asked for a anti-psychotic at the neurologist specialized in epilepsy. As I have ictal episode's (which is basickly a short during psochosis). Also before I have an epileptic seizure. On internet you can find enough info about stopping the seizure by stopping the psychosis state.
It was denied.

And Pregabalin and maybe Gabapentin seem like very good candidates for the OP's problem. I had Lyrica prescribed for GAD (my dr at that time was very easy with the prescription pad). After the first few day's you don't notice it working anymore but does a good job suppressing stress.

Lyrica is a good candidate, but clinical evidence is still lacking - it is new.

Antipsychotics will kill you. It is only a matter of time.

@Eryximachus I've had quite bad anxiety my whole life, my first Xanax script was at 17 years old. However, over the years I have also become part of the opinion that the best anxiety treatments are non-pharmacological as well.

For me consistent aerobic exercise, meditation/mindfulness and diet all help quite a lot. I avoid sugar almost completely.

The main limitation of these things is you can't use them in the moment. Having anxiety right before a job interview, it's not possible to jog a 5k.

Relying completely on meds for anxiety is detrimental and becomes increasingly less effective over time, IMO, but they are still useful if used properly.

Marijuana is associated with a wide variety of psychiatric problems. It is the only common intoxicant that carries a significant risk of schizophrenia. If you have any mental health problems, it really should be avoided.

@Eryximachus I've had quite bad anxiety my whole life, my first Xanax script was at 17 years old. However, over the years I have also become part of the opinion that the best anxiety treatments are non-pharmacological as well.

For me consistent aerobic exercise, meditation/mindfulness and diet all help quite a lot. I avoid sugar almost completely.

The main limitation of these things is you can't use them in the moment. Having anxiety right before a job interview, it's not possible to jog a 5k.

Relying completely on meds for anxiety is detrimental and becomes increasingly less effective over time, IMO, but they are still useful if used properly.
I do agree that meds in the long term are not the answer, and I wish I never tried any of them. What I hate most about benzodiazepines is the anterograde amnesia. I was switched to Seroquel several years ago due to what was in retrospect rather minor benzodiazepine withdrawal. Also a terrible drug, with withdrawals just as bad if not worse. I had to get back on a benzo just to sleep, and now I'm trying once again to quit.

I'm nearly 45, and exercise is increasingly harder.

Without getting into a long discussion, I will simply say that if I could go back in time, I would never have gotten on any drugs. For me, the best solution was to realize high pressure, high paying jobs and the associated life was not possible for me. While drugs helped in the short term, they do become detrimental over time and today effectively do nothing. At 35, I could have moved anywhere in the country rather than stay in New York City. I honestly would rather live in a manufactured home in the middle of nowhere making $75K. But at nearly 45, your options are much more limited.

That is something else I would add. For most people, it is their job(s)/location that causes the most stress. The younger you are, the easier it is to change course.

Marijuana is associated with a wide variety of psychiatric problems. It is the only common intoxicant that carries a significant risk of schizophrenia. If you have any mental health problems, it really should be avoided.
I limit myself to small hits from my pipe/bong. Once a week. I generally then take a hypnotic to relax me to sleep

Anti-psychotics are one of the few meds that work for me with severe anxiety, and they do it by knocking me out basically. So at least I sleep. But I would say anti-psychotics are *more* dangerous than benzos long term because they start to mess with your physical body. So if I get them I have to be sure not to take them regularly.

I do know one guy with chronic schizophrenia that came on after heavy weed and LSD use. But that's one person out of countless dope smokers I've known. So I would disagree with "significant" risk. The person has to be predisposed.

I don't like it much but I do have small amounts bc it's easy and cheap to get. I've got anxiety/depression and probably C-PTSD and ADHD. Cannabis is safer than most drugs.