Mental Health Anxiety Disorders MEGA thread

Hey guys, been a few days since I last posted on BL. For those who don't know I triggered some sort of anxiety and panic condition after taking MDMA on and off for a few months last year. I'm currently 3 and a half months since I last touched the stuff and I just need a bit of insight. The first couple of months were the worse where I was stuck in an on and off panic mode where whenever I thought thought too much about how I was feeling I would trigger a panic attack, whenever I wasn't panicking I had a lingering anxiety feeling which was impossible to shake off. Now, most of those awful anxiety feelings are much more diminished, and now I seem to be stuck in a state of DP/DR with a seemingly worse memory than I had before I got this condition. I find that being in this state stops me from feeling anxious. However, whenever I have moments of normalcy, it seems that the return of my full senses becomes overwhelming and I quickly become anxious again, not anxious like the first couple of months but still anxious nonetheless, and this seems to make me slip back into the DP/DR to protect myself from those awful feelings.

I've not been diagnosed by a doctor as I've tried to deal with this myself without having to resort to some sort of meds, I feel like I'm very much coping as I am. I just want the advice of someone who has had a similar experience to the one I described in the first paragraph. Is it possible to return to normal and not become overwhelmed by having your full senses back when coming out of DP/DR? I rarely have a panic attack now and the only time I ever do is on the odd occasion when I having one of the those 'bad days' and I can psych myself out.

Any advice would be appreciated, if anyone thinks I should seek more professional help to get over these feelings completely please say. But I have been coping extremely well with these feelings and I'm much better than I was when I first got this. I just need to get over this DP/DR and not feel awful when I do.

Thanks.

Update on my long running anxiety issues, upon reflection i have always struguled though the last 7years on meds have been a bjt of a rollercoaster ride im finally rid of the xanax after a drawn out n painfull taper from 8mg to 3mg. Am happy to say now im staying level for the most part on my allowance of valium (40-50mg a day) can have less some days in saying that i still get some pretty horrid days but nothing like last time i was hanving around here... life has changed a lot in the last 3 years i feel ive lost nearly everything although mostly material its a downer, the uncertanty of living arangements and tbe fact things have changed has hit hard due to trouble rolling along and dealing with change. Occasional self medicating with opiates has prooved both a help and a hi.derince im working on that found the difference amazing but trying not to get a habbit toys with me, the benzos are bad enough. Pls excuse bad grammar or misspelt words im working off a phone n its painfull. Still fighting the fight though and learning how to cope a bit more every day so not a total write off yet.
Thoughts n hopes today is better for everyone else here struggling also.

S.M.F.G. it is so good to see you back and I'm happy that every day brings a little bit of progress.<3

I saw a study recently at Stanford which showed that kids who suffer from chronic anxiety - which I certainly did as a kid - have amygdala's that are larger than "normal" children in brain MRI studies. I have been diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder (whatever that means). All I know is that I feel as if the fight or flight systems in my brain are out of alignment. I always must anticipate the worst possible thing happening in every situation. I don't know how to stop doing this. I have tried meditation classes, benzos, you name it. It's like a survival mechanism. The problem is that it puts an enormous amount of stress on my body, and it without a doubt explains why I have so many problems with fibromyalgia and other forms of chronic pain.

I have horrible social anxiety. Never did growing up it seemed to develop post-puberty. Continues to dictate alot of my moves today. I get rapid heart beat, sweaty palms, flustered, and just straight up awkward and dumb in certain social situations. Has lead to alot of avoidance and isolation. Im hesitant to get on an SSRI or something similar because i dont like the idea of taking a mental medication....idk any advice?

Definitely try mindfulness or CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Training)--worked wonders for me but it's no quick fix--it takes practice.

Definitely try mindfulness or CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Training)--worked wonders for me but it's no quick fix--it takes practice.

On that note, with the perfect timing: the release of this video that discusses various ways to deal with anxiety and a specific method for social anxiety. Leave a comment for any questions or comments, lol.

Did anyone else have depersonalization/derealization turned on by smoking some good ass weed? I remember the night it happened, I just got done smoking some good bud with my friend and after he left I went into my room and felt very weird.....Everything around me looked real, but fake at the same time.....everything just felt off. It happened a couple more times when I smoked, but stopped after a while......but I still feel weird everyday, all day. My reading has also been greatly affected, it is much harder to read fast now it seems, and it happened over a period of a few days. I also noticed that this happened when I first started using oxycodone, particularly roxis.....do you think that there is any correlation between the two?
Green crack gave me DP and DR. Began a long road of prescription drugs for me.

I don't know about turned on but it definitely has has that effect whenever I smoke now which is a real bitch! Along with the constant feeling of a slight panic attack...

I'd kill to be able to smoke a nice fattie right now without feeling like I'm going out of my mind! -.-

I used to get panic attacks all the time when i was a heavy speed and LSD user. I realise now that my speed addiction caused a magnesium deficiency which gave me tight chest pain, panic attacks, muscle cramps in the arms and calf muscles, dizziness and lethargy. So before taking meds to fix your anxiety, take magnesium and B vitamins (for brain health) every day. And I found milk thistle before a heavy drinking session to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one disputes that we need adequate vitamin levels, so good on that. When it gets to herbs, though, we cannot explicitly say what others should take. We can say what has helped us.

"Everybody is a coward about something." Jeremy Renner / Hurt Locker

This is my mantra whenever I'm jittery about a social situation...while I try to kick benzos.

I had my first panic attack or the beginning of one when I was still using iv I woke up on a toilet somewhere I remember pushing the plunger down and I shut my eyes as the rush was beginning next thing I knew fit was still in my vein and I had sensation of falling, which I was off the toilet to floor, I left and as I was walking away it dawned on me how close to dying I must have been as I'd been there for an hour and a half anyway I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I couldn't breathe. I went to a & e where they told me not a heart attack ,panic attack gave me diazapam, valium I didn't want them as a teenager they were one of the hardest withdrawals I have ever experienced but I still to this day am scripted them I try not to take them and when I do I have found I can get away with a quarter of a tablet sometimes I am supposed to take daily I only take them when I feel well I suppose people know the feeling tightening of the chest etc I hate it it's debilitating.

I live in New Zealand born and bred Kiwi
What is a ssri? They have had me take meds for depression but I do not feel depressed and stopped taking them felt bad for awhile , my parents died 7 weeks apart when I was 14 was taken to Australia by family lived with my sister but was very sad and lonely at the time I used iv until I was 54 I am now 56 on methadone 135mgs daily plus 10mgs valium but as I have said I take little family sent me back to new zealand when I was 21 no family were here homeless what a beautiful example of a families abilene to sweep things under the rug
I don't know if this is the right place to post if not my apologies

When I was a baby, my mother suffered an accident and almost died. This accident was the start of a rift between my parents. It was hard for my mom, who had to go surgery after surgery in order to get better. It was hard for my father, who had to take care of her and me. They had the support of their family, but it was hard.
I don't remember of this time, I was just eight months, but the lack of a mother during this early stage of my life probably gave me scars.
To get things worse, my paternal grandmother died during this time and my mother had to make a surgery on her uterus that made impossible to get a children. She and my father wanted another baby after I were a little older.
My mother's recovery after coming back to the hospital wasn't easy, she was already introverted and melancholic and this accident made her develop depression. It wasn't easy to my father to see her suffering, he is a very sensitive person and started to use alcohol to cope with this.
My family is loving, but sometimes my mom had explosions out of the blue because of something that I said or did that I didn't knew it was wrong or the way I talked. When my parents got separated this got worse and me and my mom had problems of communication since then. Another thing that gave me anxiety from her was the fact that I was scared of saying things to her and get her angry or scold me. I was also afraid of telling things to my father because he scolded me when I said things about my stepmother and that hurt them. I don't remember what I said, but it wasn't with bad intentions.
The school was another place that made me develop anxiety. Even before my parents divorce. I was always bullied and once a few girls forced me to eat leaves or I would get punished. I thought that it was something normal, despite my discomfort. Some boys threated to kill me and I believed. My years at school were a hell and the anxiety of always being alert with the environment on my surroundings were inherited from both of this enviorments. My self image was also moulded from my school years, so, despite being almost 30 I still think that I'm a waste of space.
When I was younger the anxiety made me lost a lot of opportunities. When I was in my last year of college I've had a lot of panic attacks.The college and leave my hometown made me become more anxious and with burnout.
Today, I still have anxiety, but I more functional. Meditation help and a few things made me start to think: "Fuck this shit, everyone is busy with themselves, so they didn't care about me.", which is kinda helpful for my social anxiety.
However, I'm always alert on my surroundings, overthink and I'm a perfectionist who wants to have high achievement on everything I do. People are hard to understand for me and watching the cruelty of this world made me feel depressed. Now I know that is because of my wishes to escape from reality and don't feel pain or alert made me become an escapist. First were books, games, studies, religion, movies, writing, alcohol, drugs...