Mental Health Antipsychotics

Antipsychiatrist

Bluelighter
I ve been Injected with zuclopenthixol decanoate In April since then I'm on quetiapine and sertraline
Will my energy come back when I off the meds?

I ve been Injected with zuclopenthixol decanoate In April since then I'm on quetiapine and sertraline
Will my energy come back when I off the meds?

Did you only take one dose of the zuclopenthixol in April or have you been getting it weekly? Quetiapine can certainly sap the energy from you, but if you stop taking it, you will eventually regain your former enthusiasm.

If those injections were in April they've likely worn off at this point, what mg Quetiapine are you taking daily?

Hi @Antipsychiatrist - welcome to Bluelight! My understanding is IM AP shots (intramuscular antipsychotics) take a long time to recover from. For example Invega, which it's taken people months to recover from.

The key is TIME! You will start feeling better everyday.

Lemme shoot this over to MH where you may get more replies.

Good luck and god speed recovery.

I have not had a depot shot but I was on different antipsychotics for many years. They made me very lazy and anhedonic and it took about 6 months for me to fully recover from them. Although seroquel has a very short half life I felt I was suffering withdrawal symptoms from it up to 3 months from quitting.

In my experience regular exercise and trying to push your cognitive skills by reading or listening to podcasts or something similar are both helpful for getting over antipsychotics.

When coming off of them did you ever have a period where you brain just felt like mush?

Definitely. I could not read, watch TV or do anything really. I went to bed every night at 6 PM for weeks because I could not think straight. I also felt quite a lot of nausea when I first stopped them. I was a bit lucky because I had prescribed dexamfetamine and I feel that that kind of pulled me up a bit and made me more functional than I otherwise would have been.

The side effects can be very difficult, but they can be managed.

It take about 6 months for the negative symptoms to show improvement. With time on antipsychotics, most people will feel better.

With time on antipsychotics, most people will feel better.

Well, that never happened with me. I got violent when I was put on Abilify. I could have murdered someone, because it caused an uncontrollable rage. I had to literally be taken to hospital ASAP as soon as I had that outburst. This was in August 2014. The same month I tried to drink myself to death before a friend rescued me from what would have probably evolved into full blown alcoholism.