• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Antipsychotics and weed

lapd

Greenlighter
So here's my problem: I've been on a neuroleptic (namely Haldol injections) for around a month, quit cold turkey 3 months ago. The thing is I can't get high off weed ever since. What might be the problem here? Are my dopamine receptors fried? Is there a possibility that Haldol is still left in my fat tissues? Do you think I will ever be able to get high again? How much time would the recovery take?

Depending on how long you took Haldol, esp injections, that stuff made changes to your brain chemistry, and may effect your weed high for a while. How long? I don't know. I'm sure after some time, probably months, you should get back to an acceptable level with your smoke.

Anhedonia buddy. It happens with these droogz. They're pretty sweet. I'm about to fall into a nice, shallow neuroleptic induced sleep right now.

I have to ask, why are you on haldol injections? My first guess is schizophrenia with episodes severe enough to cause non-compliance with meeication. The usual line of advice in this case is that cannabis is generally not advised. There might be some research suggesting CBD is good, but natural weed is far too variable

^I'd have to agree.

I will take it further, though, and state that cannabis is downright harmful if you have a psychotic disorder. THC is the culprit.

CBD is generally all but bred out of most weed. If you live in a state/country which offers it legally and/or for medicinal purposes chances are it's conceivable to procure fairly accurately an extract of cannabis which has a high CBD content, such that it overrides the effect of any THC. But if I were in your shoes, I'd find a way to make sure that the amount of THC in a product I intend to consume by virtue of its CBD content, is truly negligible. I would make sure there's very little to no THC present.

CBD has shown promise in treating psychotic disorders, from what I've read. And while I'm not doctor, I can safely say that THC (other than perhaps strong, hallucinogenic NMDA antagonists and maybe some other hallucinogens) is downright contraindicated in people with psychotic disorders.

I know this may be a little meddling, but you really owe it to yourself to get well and not take anything that could make you worse off than you already are. One of the biggest things I've learned with respect to being mentally healthy is that it's not a game: what I artificially put into my body, and brain, isn't a toy. What may seem like a joy-ride can hide the reality of continuing to flog your mental well-being until you're literally gone.