• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Antipsychotic Blocking High Is There a Known Antidote or Counter Action?

Anon456

Greenlighter
Hello,
I take antipsychotics for schizoaffective disorder and have difficulty functioning without them. I take a very low dose of medication, 3 mg of Vraylar and a small dose of Effexor just to lift my mood. Every time I take an antipsychotic for a prolonged period of time, I can no longer get high and the drug blocks the effects of both marijuana and alcohol. I don't really mind not being able to achieve a buzz from alcohol but I take personal issue when I cannot get high. Seeing as these drugs work by blocking certain dopamine and serotonin receptors, they also block the high it would be necessary to achieve with one's serotonin/dopamine. My psychiatrist told me Vraylar works differently from the other drugs in that it simply stimulates the receptors instead of blocking them, but that some receptors will still be blocked as it is impossible to find a drug that will not do that. I obviously don't want to quit taking the medication, nor do I want to go the rest of my life without ever experiencing a good cannabis high again (or wine drunk et cetera.) Is there any known drug I could take that would counter this side effect? Not necessarily unblock all of the receptors and undo what the antipsychotic is doing, but simply unblock the receptors needed to get high or drunk...

I know you dont want to hear this but if youre already on antipsychotics weed and alcohol are a very bad idea. Your best course of action would be to find something else that gives you fulfilment besides drugs.

I understand where you are coming from but I don't feel that I should have to choose between the two. Just because I'm mentally ill doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to have a little bit of fun in careful and responsible doses.

I understand where you are coming from but I don't feel that I should have to choose between the two. Just because I'm mentally ill doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to have a little bit of fun in careful and responsible doses.

Unfortunately, based on the how the medication works, you are not going to be able to get high on THC as long as you are taking it. If you could "unlock" the receptors then the medication would stop working. Unfortunately, THC sometimes worsens schizophrenia symptoms, so in this case the medication may be protecting you. You either have to go off the medication and let it wash out for several weeks (obviously a bad idea), or try to have fun some other way.

It is true that the medication you take stimulates dopamine receptors. But it only stimulates them partially, meaning that it effectively blocks the response to a full agonist like dopamine.

Last edited:
Is there something I can take on the weekends or something to effectively unblock the receptors just for a short period of time when I choose to get high or drunk?

Is there any chance you can break your sobriett from exciting activities?

Maybe a good adrenaline rush wiould be satisfying?