• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Antidepressant effects of psychedelics

Tolerance studies also support differences in mechanisms of action. In one study, MDMA was consumed at 9:00 AM each day for almost a week (120 milligrams the first day and 160 milligrams each subsequent day) and by the fifth day there were no effects from the drug except for some mydriasis.

thats why eh!

bwhahhahah. Ah yes, the "!!we love murrrrrplasdhhahh (sorry i just threw up..) forum!!", think they banned me there... well king M did i mean.

Not wishing to derail my own thread, but is Murple the mad egotistical arsehole lots of people seem to paint him as? I think he'd left BL before I joined, but some of his posts at The Hive did have a certain 'flavour' to them!

i've read that salvia is also a very effective antidepressant. I'm not sure if the tripping effects have to be felt for the antidepressant effect to kick in.

Something I've been really interested in lately is ayahuasca, which has DMT as an active ingredient. It is said that ayahuasca upregulates serotonin receptors. You can find article in a national geographic website by searching for it online. It's also supposed to be an incredible antidepressant

^^ I think this is because psychedelics in general generally have antidepressant effects for a while afterwards unless the trip goes horribly wrong. I'm not sure it's a specific property of salvia. I believe it's a result of insight gained and an appreciation for returning to sobriety.

With salvia, it's not tripping that causes the antidepressant effects, it's a property linked to kappa agonists (there's a paper somewhere about assted opiate receptors and their effect on mood regulation).

As for the AMT, I'm no longer getting any physical effects other than sweating, but my general mood has definitely taken a turn upwards (started spring cleaning today)

while it could be related to the chemistry, I find the anti depressant qualities of salvia to come from the experince itself- as in well after its worn off remembering what I got out of the trip keeps me from being depressed.

Looking back over my tripping years 1970-1985 I would say anecdote-ly that I was free of depression for about two weeks after a trip. This would not be a low dose psychedelic. I noticed the similarity of the post session state to that of antidepressants that I took in the 1990's. I would suggest that 60mgs of prozac (intentional abuse) is very much like chipping (what we used to call shaving a very small amount off an acid tab for pubs and unpredictable environments). Although the actual biochemistry as in pre synaptic and post synaptic actions on serotonin may in fact be contradictory to my experience. I have found that cannabis and alcohol cause depression up to 4 days after use, so 4 hours of fun against 72 hours of the glums, not worth it. Also just as an aside I found that antidepressants blocked the pretty patterns but not the acuity of peripheral vision and mood enhancement but the mushrooms potentated the antidepressant. All very subjective but may be of use.
Regards

Although i've never taken drugs daily over period aside from weed, I have battled depression with weekly mushroom trips over the course of couple months. Some weekends I'd trip twice, and many of the trips were Psilohuasca, syrin rue + ~1.75g cubensis. It worked wonders though, no doubt. It made me do a lot of thinking and that's exactly what i needed. since then i haven't been depressed, but if i was i'd considering taking a low dose of something daily. If you understand how to work the drugs, meaning trance-meditation, meta-programming and all that maddness, it's easy to smoothe your thoughts and habits over. and if you're taking something daily like acid, your serotonin and other receptors are going to be pretty active all the time (even if you don't notice it all that much, it still effects neurotransmission), which could result in you being able to make yourself feel better, or the opposite. I think treatment would be more effective with med-high dose trips fairly often rather than daily dosing for most people though.

Sorry for the BUMP but this is the most relevent thread.

Just about to start with AMT ~5mg daily (mixed with 150mg Vit-C).
Think I'll start by taking on alternate days at first.

Is it wiser to take in the morning?
Which supplements/foods should be avoided?

Currently take 1 x Multivitamin, 1 x Echinacea (1,000mg), Vit B complex (100% RDA) and Acetyl L-Carnitine (100mg)/ALA (125mg)

Any other cautionary notes?

Definitely take AMT in the morning... it's got quite the duration! Also, don't start taking it if you have to work. The first day or two might produce some stimulation and anxiety, which will be much less likely to show themselves if you can be in a comfortable location. The first time I took AMT I took 10mg at work, and it wasn't very pleasant. Every time I've used it since, though, has been heavenly.

I would leave out the ALCAR/ALA the first day to see what AMT is like for you on its own, and then add one in the next day, then the other (assuming no problems with either).

I hope it works for you! For me, AMT is an incredibly effective mood enhancer. Nothing I've ever taken has worked quite so well at making me completely content. Although, my method of use is to take a full dose (~50mg for me) when I feel it would be helpful, and the residual effects of the drug help me to be content for days or weeks.

As for foods, AMT's MAOI capabilities are weak at best, so I don't think you have to cut anything out. Just be careful consuming foods that can be harmful while on MAOIs, just to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction.

I've done AMT at 5mg daily for a week and a half which was very effective in relieving negative aspects from my mentality.I've also done DOC at .5 (pretty active dose for me) for 2 weeks, I think at lower dosage it has potential as an anti-depressant as it provides a positive mood boost at least for me.

trip.more, how does low-dose DOI treat you? I also find low-dose DOC to be very effective indeed at improving mood, although sometimes more powerful even at .5mg than I had expected. I'm out of DOC, but I've got loads of DOI, so naturally I'm curious.

For me DOI is VERY active at .5 (lowest dose I've taken) I haven't tried it daily but it seems to provide a different sort of experience much more neutral.Also on it unlike DOC, a lot of people I've done it with experience a type of headache (extreme sensitivity to light?) on the come down.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it sometime because I'm curious now. Low-dose DOC feels to me very similar to the AMT euphoria, except more edgy and not as consistent between experiences.

My favorite way to use DOC is actually to have a full trip at night, and then on the next morning begins the plateau/afterglow, which has never failed to make me almost ecstatically happy and motivated for at least the next 24 hours.

As for foods, AMT's MAOI capabilities are weak at best, so I don't think you have to cut anything out. Just be careful consuming foods that can be harmful while on MAOIs, just to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction.

It's actually a piss poor competetive MAOI that doesn't require any dietry restrictions (I've taken large doses of amohetamine with trip doses of AMT with no problems whatsoever - well other than my face aching from smiling!)

How does amphetamine combine with AMT, anyway? Does it worsen the aftereffects? Do you get aftereffects from amphetamines on their own? AMT on its own for me produces very desirable aftereffects.

i found that when combined with some amphetamine i felt very much more stimulated especially at the latter part of the trip where i usually feel much more tired, i took it around the 2 hour point as i felt the amt's first effects were felt.

I also found that the next day i was much more dehydrated than i normally am after just aMT and i also found the headache was slightly worse coming down , but i find that aMT headaches are a bugger to shift once they are there, although i ususally dont get them i think the amphetamine played a big part in it :\