• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anti-Depressants that have worked for you?

Mirtazapine is the only one that worked for me.
Ssri's made me to anxious.
I put on 40lbs but got it off quickly

I had to take half the starting dose (25mg instead of 50mg) for the first week on Sertraline/Zoloft because I'd been tried on Citalopram/Celexa before that and ONE pill gave me extreme anxiety for like 20 hours.

That's how my doctor started mirtazapine. 7.5mg a day, now on 30.
Ssri's probably would have worked but my old doctor would always start at the regular dose. After that to nervous to try them again

That's how my doctor started mirtazapine. 7.5mg a day, now on 30.
Ssri's probably would have worked but my old doctor would always start at the regular dose. After that to nervous to try them again

Despite having the most severe form of depression (psychotic depression) after that first time, I took me over a week to actually start the Sertraline 'cause I was so panicked I'd react as badly. The pills only come in 50mg or 100mg doses, my doctor actually prescribed me the regular 50mg dose to start, but the pills are scored (probably for people being tapered off them) so I broke them in half myself at first. It worked, I didn't get any anxiety from them.

Glad to hear you didn't have too much trouble losing the 40lbs on Mirtazapine, btw! I can imagine how tough that is. My grandma was actually prescribed Mirtazapine FOR weight gain. She had to have her bowel removed due to cancer and then her entire stomach removed, too* so she could only eat very small amounts but also no stomach means you don't feel hungry, ever, so she got really thin. She didn't gain much, like 8lbs, but she looked much better and seemed more energetic.
I'm on Quetiapine which is tied with Mirtazapine in second place (first is Olanzapine) for the worst drug in terms of weight gain and have managed to keep weight off, too (I've actually gone from 134lb to 112lbs while on it). My friend started it around the same time as me and unfortunately she went from 141lbs to 258lbs in 18 months. Doctors won't take her off it because she has severe schizophrenia and cannot function without the meds.

*if anyone knows how you can digest food with literally no stomach, I'd be very interested!

But since placebo effect can account for 20% patient improvement, 33% overall isn't very good. There was also fraud in a lot of SSRI studies, particularly counting suicidal patients as "voluntarily withdrew from study". When FDA demanded label warnings, the industry wanted to warn "teenagers", but the stats included patients up to 25yo having suicidal impulses. I wouldn't say they never work, but the corruption of Big Pharm (and not just for Prozac and Paxil)... Well also, in uni, I finally went to a psychiatrist to deal with suicidal thoughts, and he gave me a drug that increased my impulses into an attempt. I hate SSRIs!!!! Bupropion/Wellbutrin does more for ADHD than my depression. I now take kratom also, mainly because I control the dose, not a stupid pshrink. Ketamine isnt covered by ins, besides, on ket my face muscles lose tone and I look obviously on drugs after taking it. At least at doses that would help for 2weeks or so.

Glad to hear you didn't have too much trouble losing the 40lbs on Mirtazapine, btw! I can imagine how tough that is. My grandma was actually prescribed Mirtazapine FOR weight gain.
My dr. prescribed Miirtazepine, after declining on his proposal for a SSRI
ATT I looked like a skeleton with muscles. under 60 kg and I am 1.8 meter lenght. That was btw a side effect off having/ labour kid's, you be running from here to there pure on mental energy.

After taking Mirtazepine for a while and my BMI slowly raised to my perfect weight. Even had a litle fat allover. So my ever being coldish dissappeared. Great med. Improved my sleep, anti-emetic. So a good combo with Kratom. Add the Dextro-Amphetamine i was on during all went well. Till the dr. stopped the adhd med.

so, I guess no one here has experience with a non-selective MAOI like tranylcypromine? To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody has since most psychiatrists won’t prescribe them anymore, but if someone has tried them please share your experience.

so, I guess no one here has experience with a non-selective MAOI like tranylcypromine? To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody has since most psychiatrists won’t prescribe them anymore, but if someone has tried them please share your experience.
i would like to hear what anyone has to say about maoi's as my shrink wants to put me on them, and off of the ssri's ive been on. for many years. except the Auvelity.

i would like to hear what anyone has to say about maoi's as my shrink wants to put me on them, and off of the ssri's ive been on. for many years. except the Auvelity.

Do you have treatment resistant depression? that’s usually the only reason modern psychiatrists would ever consider prescribing MAOIs. just be aware that if you are prescribed an nonselective MAOI, SSRIs and pretty much all other antidepressant types has to be stopped. however, nonselective MAOIs massively boost dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine so you wouldn’t need another antidepressant anyway.
Good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

I have tried most of them without success. I'm guessing my daily intake of 20mg Lexapro and 450mg Wellbutrin actually works for me, aside from the Lexapro weight gain, which Wellbutrin works against in a way. I call them my "antidepressant speedball". Lol

Last edited:
Tried em all. SSRI, SNRI, TCA, MAOI, nothing works. I mean, it does for a few weeks or a month and then it stops.
Gabapentin is the only thing that can help with my depression but tolerance is such a big issue for it that I end up not being able to use it as such every day.
Kava is great though. Kratom initially helped me with depression a lot, though I'd not recommend using it for that purpose.

Overall, the best anti-depressant for me is DMT. I did DMT about 50 or more times between March and May last year and I was just so much more grateful to be alive. I really hope there's a Heisenberg of DMT out there on day. A friend of mine's talked about making more and I can't wait because I'm gonna buy like all of it lol. I went through 7 pens of DMT by the beginning of June. It's like, if anything is a problem, if I'm stuck on something, DMT just... erases it. It erases me, and sometimes you just need that.

Shrooms are good too though I tend to be overwhelmed by them these days, but regardless, they still end up helping with depression for a few days after sometimes.

yes, i've had treatment resistant depression for 10 years. i'm 64. i just want my life to be so much more than it is before i die. i think i do not fear death because i find so little joy in this life. an hedonic i guess is the word. i'm meeting with my psych this morning. maoi's and tms and spravato-esketamine. i long ago lost touch with my connections to get my hands on stuff other than the legit way. i am open minded however or i wouldlnt have stumbled on this fantastic website in my searching for help.

Tried em all. SSRI, SNRI, TCA, MAOI, nothing works. I mean, it does for a few weeks or a month and then it stops.
Gabapentin is the only thing that can help with my depression but tolerance is such a big issue for it that I end up not being able to use it as such every day.
Kava is great though. Kratom initially helped me with depression a lot, though I'd not recommend using it for that purpose.

Overall, the best anti-depressant for me is DMT. I did DMT about 50 or more times between March and May last year and I was just so much more grateful to be alive. I really hope there's a Heisenberg of DMT out there on day. A friend of mine's talked about making more and I can't wait because I'm gonna buy like all of it lol. I went through 7 pens of DMT by the beginning of June. It's like, if anything is a problem, if I'm stuck on something, DMT just... erases it. It erases me, and sometimes you just need that.

Shrooms are good too though I tend to be overwhelmed by them these days, but regardless, they still end up helping with depression for a few days after sometimes.

I have a feeling you might benefit from a Kappa opioid antagonist, especially if you suffer from sensations of derealisation and even more so if you suffer from anhedonia(inability to feel anticipation/drive to pursue pleasure or pleasure itself.)
Problem is, these artificially prescribed as antidepressant medications, put several pharmacies for companies have been conducting research with them and you may be able to take parts.

Lots of people take two at a time, though not of the same class. Mirtazapine and venlafaxine for example, "California rocket fuel". Or bupropion and an SSRI. A lot of the time adding lithium or a small dose of aripiprazole can help. I deal with mine in many ways in the form of medication and psychological tools.

Any SSRI or anti depressant I have ever been prescribed has never helped nearly as much as exercise, short but regular meditation, therapy and diet. Boring answer but lifestyle changes like that have honestly done so much for me.

Any SSRI or anti depressant I have ever been prescribed has never helped nearly as much as exercise, short but regular meditation, therapy and diet. Boring answer but lifestyle changes like that have honestly done so much for me.

You know what, just a few months ago, I would’ve called your answer boring until I overcame my own episode of depression/anhedonia. better sleep, huge increase in daily protein intake, lots of fruit and vegetables and high strength vitamin/mineral supplements, especially be vitamins and zinc Took me out of a dark place and gave me my life back.
Since most modern food is so processed, many nutrients important for mood regulation are stripped away.
Problem is, even if they are re-added bye manufacturers, The mix of refined sugar, toxic fats and preservatives and the stress these put on the body can deplete these nutrients.
It is interesting to note that B vitamins not only affect general metabolism, but also Monoamine neurotransmitter production and release in the brain. this makes them important for wel-being, stress resilience, and psychological energy. meanwhile, zinc plays an important role in balancing brain activity, most interestingly by limiting, but not blocking the activity of the NMDA receptor. apparently, without adequate zinc, traditional antidepressants may fail to work.

You know what, just a few months ago, I would’ve called your answer boring until I overcame my own episode of depression/anhedonia. better sleep, huge increase in daily protein intake, lots of fruit and vegetables and high strength vitamin/mineral supplements, especially be vitamins and zinc Took me out of a dark place and gave me my life back.
Since most modern food is so processed, many nutrients important for mood regulation are stripped away.
Problem is, even if they are re-added bye manufacturers, The mix of refined sugar, toxic fats and preservatives and the stress these put on the body can deplete these nutrients.
It is interesting to note that B vitamins not only affect general metabolism, but also Monoamine neurotransmitter production and release in the brain. this makes them important for wel-being, stress resilience, and psychological energy. meanwhile, zinc plays an important role in balancing brain activity, most interestingly by limiting, but not blocking the activity of the NMDA receptor. apparently, without adequate zinc, traditional antidepressants may fail to work.
Interesting! I didn’t know about the B Vitamin and zinc importance, I’ll have a look into that.

Anyone here diagnosed with or suspect, atypical depression?
I’ve been reading about it and I can strongly relate to a lot of the symptoms. for example, episodes of low energy, low mood, bouts of overeating and a sense of heaviness in the body. i’ve suffered from all these symptoms, but thankfully not collectively all at once and usually only in response to chronic stress. of course, the symptoms can occur in normal clinical depression, but mood reactivities is usually absent. on the other hand, mood reactivity,(Dramatic, lifting of mood in response to positive situations) is a major feature of atypical depression. i’ve always wondered why positive events, especially those entailing the disappearance of a chronic stressor in my life, can make me incredibly euphoric. my mind feels as if it’s gone into positive overdrive and I really struggle to sit still. Often I will run around a room like a mad man if nobody is there.
Other symptoms of atypical depression that I constantly experienced are as follows:
Rejection, sensitivity, and extreme sensitivity to criticism.
Chronic anxiety about future negative events or failures.
Lack of motivation leading to procrastination and insufficient participation in work tasks.
Difficulty recovering from embarrassment.
Interestingly, on another thread I made about the extreme nostalgia that affects me, some suggested that I may have nostalgic symptoms associated with atypical depression.

Ever considered a-non-selective MAOI, preferably tranilcypromine which maintains a very strong dopaminergic component. yes, you’ll have to cut out lots of drugs and many foods but it might just be worth it. it’s apparently very rare and difficult to get hold of, but from what I’ve heard it can be life changing.

I'll try most things but it does come down to availability. There's a list of classic antidepressants somewhere that's been discussed heavily in the past and a MAOI does come out on top.

Anyone here diagnosed with or suspect, atypical depression?
I’ve been reading about it and I can strongly relate to a lot of the symptoms. for example, episodes of low energy, low mood, bouts of overeating and a sense of heaviness in the body. i’ve suffered from all these symptoms, but thankfully not collectively all at once and usually only in response to chronic stress. of course, the symptoms can occur in normal clinical depression, but mood reactivities is usually absent. on the other hand, mood reactivity,(Dramatic, lifting of mood in response to positive situations) is a major feature of atypical depression. i’ve always wondered why positive events, especially those entailing the disappearance of a chronic stressor in my life, can make me incredibly euphoric. my mind feels as if it’s gone into positive overdrive and I really struggle to sit still. Often I will run around a room like a mad man if nobody is there.
Other symptoms of atypical depression that I constantly experienced are as follows:
Rejection, sensitivity, and extreme sensitivity to criticism.
Chronic anxiety about future negative events or failures.
Lack of motivation leading to procrastination and insufficient participation in work tasks.
Difficulty recovering from embarrassment.
Interestingly, on another thread I made about the extreme nostalgia that affects me, some suggested that I may have nostalgic symptoms associated with atypical depression.

Rejection sensitive dysphoria and those other symptoms are highly indicative of ADHD (and AuDHD) mate - I'm sure we've discussed this before lol.

Rejection sensitive dysphoria and those other symptoms are highly indicative of ADHD (and AuDHD) mate - I'm sure we've discussed this before lol.

Yes, we probably have, but memory is really not my strong point. actually, a few weeks ago, my sister helped me do an online test for ADHD And I got a high score on many of the symptom categories. i’ve talked about this in the past, but I think many of my symptoms were masked in terms of severity by the fact that school and university were highly structured and work constantly monitored and enforced. I still procrastinated and slept through entire classes, but I just read over and caught up later. However, long-term procrastination wasn’t an option since we were checked on almost daily. tasks were also clearly set out. all this made work much easier in the long-term although I would still procrastinate on major assignments and suffer massive anxiety are the result.
Basically, I really struggle generating my own motivation to do anything, I’m extremely disorganised but I think these symptoms have really become clear since I started working from home.
Despite a better understanding of ADHD, I feel like society is moving towards A productivity obsessed culture where those who work harder and climb the career ladder through their own motivation are the most respected. they’re fighting against the education system, arguing for less teacher influence/guidance. online learning, along with working from home are part of the societal shift. Yes, this might be great for some, but I think the results for those with attention issues could be disastrous.

Reactions: CFC