• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anti-Depressants that have worked for you?

i am going to throw my situation out here for comment. i started to once before but thought the forum not appropriate? anyway, i hv had depression since my teens, first manifesting as anorexia at age 14-15. through my 63 yrs. various psychiatrists have changed my diagnosis but the treatment has remained pretty much the same. ssri's with a sprinkling of snri's. major depressive disorder, treatment resistant depression. right now, i'm treating with iv ket at 85mg/60 min. on my 155lb frame. i have two more appts scheduled with my dr. (an md and anesthesiologist) who is going to be closing his doors. i'm looking for another iv ket provider that'll take my insurance (unitedhealthcare) to no avail. that's another story. my backup plan after suspending ivket is to go back to -via my psychiatrist- (es)ketamine FDA approved as Spravato. 2x wk at 84mg.
my question is regarding maoi's though. my psychiatrist wants to take me off the ssri's , most of them, and put me on maoi's. ive read that maoi's are often more effective (parnate) but come with restrictive dietary requirements. i'd be on tricyclics for two weeks coming off the ssri's. i am very apprehensive. i see where this could be a step in the right direction when combined with the spravato however and am seriously considering it. i just dont want to become too much of a mess changing over. i also take 150mg wellbutrin, trintellix, rexulti and modafinil and suboxone right now. as you can see it's complicated. and as someone who's a patient not a doctor, my knowledge is limited. i read alot, ask lot of questions, not necessarily the right ones though.
anybody switch from ssri's to maoi's? anybody take suboxone and ketamine in either of its forms (S, R).? for some reason at a good dose of ketamine, i'm not responding more than a day. any input most appreciated. tia - happyone

For me antidepressant nothing worked for mor than a decade. Than… I was put on methylphenidate Ritalin LA off label and desvenlafaxine Pristiq and esketamine Spravato. I am on this since 2013 November. It changed a lot in my perception to the world. And the symptoms of my depression. I was on MAOi to TCA and almost everything avaliable in the EU. Also I take klonopin. But that is another story.

For me antidepressant nothing worked for mor than a decade. Than… I was put on methylphenidate Ritalin LA off label and desvenlafaxine Pristiq and esketamine Spravato. I am on this since 2013 November. It changed a lot in my perception to the world. And the symptoms of my depression. I was on MAOi to TCA and almost everything avaliable in the EU. Also I take klonopin. But that is another story.
ty for your inputs! i am glad the spravato combined with others has helped you change your perception about the world. it hurts me inside, i know i'm in here looking out, i used to be different a long time ago. energetic , go getter. i hope i get at least some of that back in the near future cause this depression is dark and sad.

i am going to throw my situation out here for comment. i started to once before but thought the forum not appropriate? anyway, i hv had depression since my teens, first manifesting as anorexia at age 14-15. through my 63 yrs. various psychiatrists have changed my diagnosis but the treatment has remained pretty much the same. ssri's with a sprinkling of snri's. major depressive disorder, treatment resistant depression. right now, i'm treating with iv ket at 85mg/60 min. on my 155lb frame. i have two more appts scheduled with my dr. (an md and anesthesiologist) who is going to be closing his doors. i'm looking for another iv ket provider that'll take my insurance (unitedhealthcare) to no avail. that's another story. my backup plan after suspending ivket is to go back to -via my psychiatrist- (es)ketamine FDA approved as Spravato. 2x wk at 84mg.
my question is regarding maoi's though. my psychiatrist wants to take me off the ssri's , most of them, and put me on maoi's. ive read that maoi's are often more effective (parnate) but come with restrictive dietary requirements. i'd be on tricyclics for two weeks coming off the ssri's. i am very apprehensive. i see where this could be a step in the right direction when combined with the spravato however and am seriously considering it. i just dont want to become too much of a mess changing over. i also take 150mg wellbutrin, trintellix, rexulti and modafinil and suboxone right now. as you can see it's complicated. and as someone who's a patient not a doctor, my knowledge is limited. i read alot, ask lot of questions, not necessarily the right ones though.
anybody switch from ssri's to maoi's? anybody take suboxone and ketamine in either of its forms (S, R).? for some reason at a good dose of ketamine, i'm not responding more than a day. any input most appreciated. tia - happyone

Sorry to hear about your situation. I’m not a doctor, but here are my thoughts.
Firstly, I definitely recommend trying an non-selective MAOI due to the unique mechanism of action and high effectiveness. i’ve mentioned this before, but due to their mechanism, MAOIs can raise the activity of all three monoamine neurotransmitters, producing a strong antidepressant, anxiolytic, motivational and reward enhancement ETC. as a result, you likely won’t need any additional antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication. you may however, under the strict supervision of your psychiatrist, have the MAOI Potentiated with a tiny dose of dextroamphetamine e.g. 1 mg if you develop excessive drowsiness.
This might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to try MAOIs and if you don’t like them, you can simply stop. however, if they work brilliantly, the dietary and drug restrictions may well be worth it.
On a sidenote, you probably won’t need the ketamine if on MAOIs plus I think there are some possible interactions there in relation to blood pressure.
If you do choose to try them, please let us know how you get on, of course, only if you feel comfortable doing so.

ty for your inputs! i am glad the spravato combined with others has helped you change your perception about the world. it hurts me inside, i know i'm in here looking out, i used to be different a long time ago. energetic , go getter. i hope i get at least some of that back in the near future cause this depression is dark and sad.
I was on a reversible maoi. Moclobemide. It was good but not enough. Irreversible ones are another beasts.
I am slowly but but steadily have an upwards direction from where I was.

You are going to find the right cocktail of meds that is the one what is working for You!

Hugs from Europe! Robert!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I’m not a doctor, but here are my thoughts.
Firstly, I definitely recommend trying an non-selective MAOI due to the unique mechanism of action and high effectiveness. i’ve mentioned this before, but due to their mechanism, MAOIs can raise the activity of all three monoamine neurotransmitters, producing a strong antidepressant, anxiolytic, motivational and reward enhancement ETC. as a result, you likely won’t need any additional antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication. you may however, under the strict supervision of your psychiatrist, have the MAOI Potentiated with a tiny dose of dextroamphetamine e.g. 1 mg if you develop excessive drowsiness.
This might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to try MAOIs and if you don’t like them, you can simply stop. however, if they work brilliantly, the dietary and drug restrictions may well be worth it.
On a sidenote, you probably won’t need the ketamine if on MAOIs plus I think there are some possible interactions there in relation to blood pressure.
If you do choose to try them, please let us know how you get on, of course, only if you feel comfortable doing so.
i thank you for your detailed response. you are right, at my age, this might be a once in a lifetime opportunity to try maoi's and as i understand it , if i dont like them or they dont work, i simply stop. would it be that simple? i note that some are called reversible and some irreversible.? i will keep you posted.

i thank you for your detailed response. you are right, at my age, this might be a once in a lifetime opportunity to try maoi's and as i understand it , if i dont like them or they dont work, i simply stop. would it be that simple? i note that some are called reversible and some irreversible.? i will keep you posted.

Glad you found that useful. In regards to irreversible MAOIs, that doesn’t mean they last forever. yes, they are much more potent, and generally more effective, irreversible means that they permanently inactivate the MAOI enzyme, but the enzyme molecules are always being replaced anyway. it just means that there affects may last for a few weeks after the last dose.

Glad you found that useful. In regards to irreversible MAOIs, that doesn’t mean they last forever. yes, they are much more potent, and generally more effective, irreversible means that they permanently inactivate the MAOI enzyme, but the enzyme molecules are always being replaced anyway. it just means that there affects may last for a few weeks after the last dose.
thank you so much. tc neuro.

Pharmaceutical grade Cocaine - Triple Reuptake Inhibitor & Inverse Agonist DAT>SERT>>NET

Desbutal & Dexamyl (d-Methamphetamine + Barbiturate & d-Amphetamine + Barbiturate)

Oxycodone + Ritalin (Methylphenidate)

Basically all the holy grail pharmaceutical Jems from 1950’s USA are untouchable as antidepressants

Desoxyn/Methedrine (d-desoxyephedrine HCL) 20mg IV
Oxycodone 10mg or Diamorphine 10mg IV or Dilaudid 5mg IV
Diazepam 10mg & Alprazolam 1mg oral
Testosterone IM 200mg (several days prior to above cocktail)

Youd basically be Superman shining with positive energy and overwhelming confidence, happy, life of the party, etc

Oxycodone (euphoric ecstasy / dopamine & endorphins) + Alprazolam (anxiolytic & antidepressant)
Ritalin (Methylphenidate) euphoric dopaminergic stimulant nearly identical to Cocaine

the combinations are endless …..so many variations, so many CII substances that enduce profound euphoria & mood-boosting & antidepressant properties

Stress & anxiety……ha ha …..Valium Tier 1 anxiolytic & muscle relaxant + Xanax (anxiolytic & antidepressant) + Oxycodone (Hands down most pleasurable Opioid. Easily. Diamorphine & Dilaudid also highly regarded but Oxycodone synthesized from theBaine has stimulant properties

Oxy-IR 10-20mg
Ritalin 20-40mg
Xanax 1mg
Valium 5mg

I can go on forever…..I want an entire pharmacuitical warehouse dedicated to manufacturing API CII Controlled Substances for ME solely …..every desirable CII ever synthasized, Desbutal & Dexamyl, Ritalin & Phenmetrazine, Benzo’s & Barbies, Ketamine, Methedrine ampoules, Swiss Diacetylmorphine 10gram glass jars, Pharma Cocaine HCL, Oxycodone, Dilaudid, Diamorphine ……all pure API compounding powder and genuine tablets entire production runs large enough to supply entire USA for an entire year lol

I want it ALL !!!!!

I have benefitted from citalopram. No noticable side effects. It's usually well tolerated.

Mirtazapine had been the only AD to work for me (down to 15mg at night). Tried a long list of the usual ones, even though I could tolerate them they did nothing for me tbh.

I actually did better on SSRIs than MAOIs, lol. Kind of makes me feel inferior in a way, tbph, but still kind of funnie.

Best AD in my life has been socializing. Of course the cat helps.

All of these recreational drugs are just inferior, imo, to ones that will continue to work at one dose. High hopes for psychedelics in the future, though.

I've never found one that worked and they only tend to give out SSRIs here. This is how people end up as addicts much of the time, trying to cope with the trauma - the greatest anti-depressant for me has always been heroin. The paradox is that the health service wont help you with your emotional/psychological problems unless you're clean, but you're on drugs due to the emotional/psychological problems. SSRIs caused me to go into a full-blown manic episode when I went to the local GP after things became too much - it was citalopam that he prescribed. Since then they have tried various mood stabilisers, mostly prozac although a couple of times with sertraline. In Britain, they only seem to give out SSRIs if you go to a doctor and say that you're depressed - so many of the medicines here sound completely alien for me except for ones that I see on certain "online pharmacies" that I use to buy my own meds for self-medicating. So all I have to add is that SSRIs have been horrible for me and I wish they could stop giving them out like candy, especially to people who aren't aware of the initial side effects (suicidal ideation etc.) and also the risk of mania. They should at least ask questions about any family history of mental health issues - particular bipolar when it comes to SSRIs but also suicides, relatives who have a history of self-harm and all that. Maybe some doctors do but in my experience, they usually just give you SSRIs and send you on your way. And the psych service prescribes a pill, says 'I'll call you in 3 months' which he does, merely to ask how it is going and you get about ten minutes. Sorry to rant but the NHS is fucked and that's how they want it so they can prescribe it, leaving us with an American style services with the parasitic health insurance companies etc.

Last edited:
i am currently on ssri's and esketamine and ketamine iv boosters. i'm still very depressed, ; the ket iv has lifted it a bit. i ve been on most the sssris or i wouldnt have qualified for the spravato (im in usa).
my psych wants to change the ssri's to maoi's after two weeks using tca's. i too take lorazepam. it sounds like you've hit the jack pot , yes? is this combination of rialin la off label, pristiq and spravato working for you? i'm trying to figure out how to ask my psych for ritalin. i dont have an adhd diagnos, but took the test once and was advised i did have adhd. im 64 and sick of playing the game with my life and jerk insurance companies and useless psychiatrists. i'm surprised i'm still here.

You know what, just a few months ago, I would’ve called your answer boring until I overcame my own episode of depression/anhedonia. better sleep, huge increase in daily protein intake, lots of fruit and vegetables and high strength vitamin/mineral supplements, especially be vitamins and zinc Took me out of a dark place and gave me my life back.
Since most modern food is so processed, many nutrients important for mood regulation are stripped away.
Problem is, even if they are re-added bye manufacturers, The mix of refined sugar, toxic fats and preservatives and the stress these put on the body can deplete these nutrients.
It is interesting to note that B vitamins not only affect general metabolism, but also Monoamine neurotransmitter production and release in the brain. this makes them important for wel-being, stress resilience, and psychological energy. meanwhile, zinc plays an important role in balancing brain activity, most interestingly by limiting, but not blocking the activity of the NMDA receptor. apparently, without adequate zinc, traditional antidepressants may fail to work.
alright. can you please help me summarize all this intellect. smile. What supplements, vitamins and minerals do i want to buy?

I was on a reversible maoi. Moclobemide. It was good but not enough. Irreversible ones are another beasts.
I am slowly but but steadily have an upwards direction from where I was.

You are going to find the right cocktail of meds that is the one what is working for You!

Hugs from Europe! Robert!
what do you mean when you say "irreversible ones are another beasts".? they are bad?

The only antidepressant that has ever been super effective for me was the MAOI tranylcypromine (Parnate). I took it at 60 mg/day along with Dexedrine Spansules 45 mg/day and desipramine 150 mg/day. It's a very uncommon and controversial combo, but I had no issues with it other than weight gain. It worked well until it didn't.

Ketamine infusions and ECT was what eventually put me totally in remission. Ketamine infusions unfortunately don't last that long and are expensive as fuck though. ECT was fantastic but it destroyed my memory, and I'm just now started to get that back a year later after doing two months worth of it.