• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Anesthetic abuse

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I randomly started thinking about anesthetics and how I honestly can't even name any of them (other than stuff like ketamine, topical anesthetics and old school stuff like ether/chlorophorm).

My druggie brain wondered about abusing them and read an article saying 1-1.6% percent of anesthesiologists and medical faculty abuse them and lose their license. Did not mention which drugs.

I would imagine abusing anesthetics would be insanely dangerous. What's the high like? I've had full on anesthesia for 2 surgeries, and well... It's really unremarkable. Just going to sleep and waking up with no memory or euphoria. I do remember waking up quite relaxed, though. I'd imagine if you take a low dose to remain conscious you might be able to achieve a recreational effect.

Watching videos of people saying funny things under their effect is entertaining.

I realize I'm vaguely speaking about a large class of various drugs. I'm just curious if anyone is knowledgeable about this subject.

Last edited:
The worst form of anesthetic abuse is its spelling.

ANAESTHETIC, fucktards... 🤣
Screenshot-20210302-134520.png

What? Is that a UK thing?

You weirdos and your alternative spelling. America invented english... And french fries.

CHIPS COME IN A BAG!

Last edited:
What? Is that a UK thing?

Yup.

I mastered that spelling at a very early age and I'm fucked if I'm going to allow a bunch of colonials with their goddamn logical spellings to steal my glory...

;)

Last edited:
Lol. It’s like the “Rule” “ I before E unless after C” doesn’t apply to “Weird”.

And program, programme. Both valid. Some foreigners will reject one for the other.

I use both. A.I. Programme.

Make a program for the day.

Do I watch a TV Programme? I think I do. But it really isn’t ironed out in black and white stone.

Plus I like to make up my own words when it occurs, but I call them- conjugations.

Fuck rules (Boris) lol!

I had a general anaesthetic last week. It was fucking wonderful. Best sleep. Best dreamy hangover. I hate downers but I bet I’d abuse the fuck out of whatever it was they gave me if I was an anaesthetist.

Interesting thing was that they’ve changed how they give them to you since the last time I had one. Now they monitor your consciousness with a machine and titrate just enough to keep you under rather than hitting you with Xmg per kg body weight. They clearly want to minimise the amount of the stuff they have to put in you. I was awake within 30 minutes of being put in the recovery ward.

Interesting thing was that they’ve changed how they give them to you since the last time I had one. Now they monitor your consciousness with a machine and titrate just enough to keep you under rather than hitting you with Xmg per kg body weight. They clearly want to minimise the amount of the stuff they have to put in you. I was awake within 30 minutes of being put in the recovery ward.

What was the ROI? I've only had the gas when they tell you to count backwards from 100 and by 97 you're absolutely gone. Crazy how fast it works.

What was the ROI? I've only had the gas when they tell you to count backwards from 100 and by 97 you're absolutely gone. Crazy how fast it works.
Through a cannula in my hand. They also stopped giving a pre-anaesthetic before entering the theatre. They used to use a 1-2 combo and the one outside always totally blanked my memory of actually receiving it. This time they took me into the theatre and were chatting away until the guy said “here it comes”. Next thing I was waking up pissing blood.

The first drug experience I ever had was from dental anaesthesia aged 9.

They did that counting backwards thing as well as asking me if I had fairies at the bottom of my garden. When I said "yes", I was out for the fuckin count.

Woke up feeling kind of groovy, only to end up throwing my guts up to splurge all the blood I'd swallowed during the procedure.

I think I've been chasing that feeling ever since...

The first drug experience I ever had was from dental anaesthesia aged 9.
For me it was 11 when I had an appendectomy. After the surgery I stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks and had a button I could push which would send in an angel of a nurse to give me IV morphine.

Even at that age I knew right then and there how much I loved opiates.

But damn I needed it too, it's extremely painful when they cut through your abdominal wall. They do a much less invasive surgery these days.

Actually anesthetic is a pretty broad term.

I'm pretty sure that the ones that are most commonly abused by anesthesiologists are common drugs such as opioids (mostly fentanyl, morphine and hydromorphone depending on your location) and gabaergic sedatives like midazolam and perhaps propofol as well.
Barbiturate abuse was pretty common in the past but most of them have been replaced by somewhat safer drugs, they're still used in some procedures though.
Fentanyl and midazolam are extremely common in surgical procedures. Ketamine is somewhat common as well due to its high safety profile.

If we're talking about local anesthetics then cocaine was actually the first one to be discovered IIRC, but nowadays they use non euphoric derivatives like lidocaine, procaine, etc... I doubt anyone is abusing local anesthetics.

Then there's anesthetic gases which are also used for many different things, but I don't think they have much abuse potential (except for nitrous and xenon, and probably ether in the past). Don't know much about them though, maybe some of those drugs do have euphoric properties.

Once upon a time people would abuse barbiturates, which were often used as general anesthetics.

Today the general anesthetic of choice is propofol. It's abusable to a degree (Michael Jackson certainly thought so) but I don't think it's all that interesting and in most countries it's not a controlled substance.

If you've been given a general anesthetic in the last few decades chances are you've had propofol. It looks like a white liquid and can burn as it goes through your veins.

Once upon a time people would abuse barbiturates, which were often used as general anesthetics.

Today the general anesthetic of choice is propofol. It's abusable to a degree (Michael Jackson certainly thought so) but I don't think it's all that interesting and in most countries it's not a controlled substance.

If you've been given a general anesthetic in the last few decades chances are you've had propofol. It looks like a white liquid and can burn as it goes through your veins.

If propofol is what I had, I could see the abuse potential in the hands of insomniacs. Which is apparently what did MJ in. No euphoria but it seems to give recuperative sleep and not just knock you unconscious. Although I should probably google a PubMed article on exactly what state it puts the brain into before saying things like this.

If propofol is what I had, I could see the abuse potential in the hands of insomniacs. Which is apparently what did MJ in. No euphoria but it seems to give recuperative sleep and not just knock you unconscious. Although I should probably google a PubMed article on exactly what state it puts the brain into before saying things like this.

Propofol took over mainly because it wears off fast and people come out of it pretty rapidly. So people don't have a hangover like anesthetics of old caused.

It is abusable, but not like barbiturates were.