Androgel (Testosterone) CIII - Why?

trimboat

Greenlighter
Can somebody explain to me why Testosterone is a schedule 3 controlled substance in USA?

Would like to add that I experienced greater amounts of hairloss on gel vs. injections, both prescribed. Later found out this was due to increased levels of 5ar activity in the skin, converting more to DHT. One concern I have seen little to no discussion on.

I'm sure there is more pertinent data, but here's something:
http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/575492 said:
It [gel] also allows for greater flexibility of dosing than do other modalities, as it is available in variable doses and as a pump. Levels of DHT, however, seem to be significantly higher than those attained with patch use.[13]This is likely due to the fact that the gel covers a greater skin surface area than the patch, causing more testosterone to convert to DHT.

Would like to add that I experienced greater amounts of hairloss on gel vs. injections, both prescribed. Later found out this was due to increased levels of 5ar activity in the skin, converting more to DHT. One concern I have seen little to no discussion on.

Originally Posted by http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/575492
It [gel] also allows for greater flexibility of dosing than do other modalities, as it is available in variable doses and as a pump. Levels of DHT, however, seem to be significantly higher than those attained with patch use.[13]This is likely due to the fact that the gel covers a greater skin surface area than the patch, causing more testosterone to convert to DHT.

I'm sure there is more pertinent data, but here's something:

I think we've covered it before somewhere.. from memory it could be due to greater amount of hormone via quicker speed of absorption with gel.. Leaving unbound testosterone at greater chance exposure of metabolic enzymes such as 5-alpha reductase, and aromatase... If applied to a smaller area at lower dose applied more frequently, this may enable free test' to bind transport proteins before being exposed to metabolic enzymes.. ?? anyone..??

I think Big Cat covered it on GH15... I'll have a look..!!