• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Analogues of (relatively) innocuous, ubiquitously legal, psychoactive drugs (request)

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
ethyl (drinking) alcohol (ethanol) = tert-Amyl alcohol (2-methyl-2-butanol) (TAA or 2M2B) twenty times the potency of alcohol.

caffeine, xanthine: 3,7-Dimethyl-1-propargylxanthine (DMPX) 28× & 15× caffeine (priority of potency for differing adenosine receptor sub-types than caffeine)

Nicotine: ABT-418

…the line begins to blur, but anyone care to add? I'm looking for *more* of the top two classes; drinkable "alcohols", GABAergics and the like, and caffeine analogs. Nicotinic receptor agonists are very common by comparison.

There's 1,4-butanediol which primarily exerts its effects by being metabolised into GHB in-vivo.

Honestly, just for the sake of harm reduction, it's better to use ethanol, coffee, and nicotine. We know very little about the side effects of those other things.

In NSPD the primary objective is to study the drugs rather than take them, and I think this is the case here as well.

DXM - I don't understand why the RC market doesn't explore these

Probably quite hard to get precursors and synthesise analogues.

Presumably marketing plays into it some too. People don't really look to, say, caffeine for a "recreational" high, so a caffeine analogue would be a lot harder to push in the same way as knockoffs of popular illegal drugs. Alcohol blurs the line on this somewhat, but I still think because any alcohol analogue would not really fit in with the way alcohol is commonly consumed it would be similarly hard to market.

DXM - I don't understand why the RC market doesn't explore these

DXO would be an interesting one to see, more active than DXM, correct? (as well as its metabolite)

In this vein, OTC anti-histamines like benadryl/diphenhydramine (dramamine is that + 8-chlorotheophylline which, consequently on topic, is a caffeine analog) would be interesting. Many sleep aids, eszopiclone analogs.

I just begin a thread for an umbrella of the like for things people don't usually discuss or think of because there isn't much "incentive salience" to obsess over them ;-p non-abusable but still functionally helpful altered state inducing. Nootropics/ neurotrophic (not "neurotropic").

Perhaps even supplement analogs, different semi-synthetic precursors (instead of natural ones, e.g. 5-HT, L-dopa) or things like quinine (e.g. tonic water) or taurine (energy drink fad), novel NSAIDS?

ethyl (drinking) alcohol (ethanol) = tert-Amyl alcohol (2-methyl-2-butanol WAS used as a hypnotic so, if you can get Sigma reagent+ or better, I would think it less hazardous that drinking 20 times the ethanol. Only hand-search will find it but 1887-1889 are the years to check.

ethyl (drinking) alcohol (ethanol) = tert-Amyl alcohol (2-methyl-2-butanol WAS used as a hypnotic so, if you can get Sigma reagent+ or better, I would think it less hazardous that drinking 20 times the ethanol. Only hand-search will find it but 1887-1889 are the years to check.

There are quite a bit of interesting ethanol derivatives and in-vivo synthesized exogenous combinatorial products from differing *types* of alcohol; likely making a physically different "buzz" altogether proved via the science behind it. e.g. gamma-nonalactone is formed by bourbon whiskey specifically. Likely due to the maple flavor; its ethyl alcohol interacting with maple lactone. You've got ethyl isovalerate with the right combination of fatty acids. menthol is technically an alcohol (and a opioid, a slight kappa agonist); and of course, cocaethylene, ethylphenidate, etc.

I personally feel DXM (and it's active metabolites) hasn't been fully explored... DXO is legal, so I'm unsure why it hasn't appeared as a product anywhere.

The problem with analogues of common OTC psychoactives is that the original substances themselves are often nothing amazing, and the analogues tend to carry greater risk with negligible benefit (ie, caffeine analogues). Or they simply do something completely different.

Further research into Muscimol analogues would be nice, considering the efficacy of Gaboxadol.

And really any research into the separation and analogues of Kavalactones.

Nagalfar I was really just bringing it up in case someone has an alcohol addiction issue because it's much less toxic.

The nootropic community already has its caffeine 'RC' - theacrine. It's a substance of plant origin and so not exactly new, but if I remember it correctly, only seen in trace amounts among other, much higher concentrated alkaloids in nature.

200px-Theacrine.svg.png

analogue of alcohol- kava kava. Fresh potent root or enough of a good extract will have you feeling a bit buzzy though sometimes it takes a lot of kava to get that way your first time.
nicotine- is there a point really?
caffeine- ephedrine. Best thing is its more powerful. Its otc everywhere in the US though you might have to be 18 to sign for a box of Bronk Aid its cheap as fuck.

I personally feel DXM (and it's active metabolites) hasn't been fully explored... DXO is legal, so I'm unsure why it hasn't appeared as a product anywhere.

The problem with analogues of common OTC psychoactives is that the original substances themselves are often nothing amazing, and the analogues tend to carry greater risk with negligible benefit (ie, caffeine analogues). Or they simply do something completely different.

Further research into Muscimol analogues would be nice, considering the efficacy of Gaboxadol.

And really any research into the separation and analogues of Kavalactones.

DXO (and it's analogues) must be synthesized using thebaine, the same precursor for every semi-synthetic opiate drug (eg. Oxycodone). You can see where the issue is.

I would, however be very pleased to see some muscimol or it's analogues on the RC market. Gabaergic dissociatives (namely ambien) have proven very, very, very desirable for me at least. The feeling of intoxication paired with the giant mood lift, slight dissociation and the subtle perceptual and sensory hallucinations is very enjoyable on a friday night. Though I haven't yet had a chance to acquire any muscimol, I would suspect it would be fairly similar given that both these drugs are GABA-ergic in action.

analogue of alcohol- kava kava. Fresh potent root or enough of a good extract will have you feeling a bit buzzy though sometimes it takes a lot of kava to get that way your first time.
nicotine- is there a point really?
caffeine- ephedrine. Best thing is its more powerful. Its otc everywhere in the US though you might have to be 18 to sign for a box of Bronk Aid its cheap as fuck.

How is kava kava an analoge of ethanol ? The kavalectones arent in any way structurally similar to ethanol. Same goes with caffeine and ephedrine.