• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

An Apology for the Life of a Sodomite

laudanum

Greenlighter
I tried writing an autobiographical account of my adolescent years, and here's what I've got so far. Is it something worth continuing? I'd appreaciate any and all feedback.

---
When I was but twelve, as gauche and diffident as any one at that awkward age, I chanced to enter the parlor, where I witnessed my parents watching the opening credits of Sex and the City. "Sex is a sin," declared Mama, in a manner so stern and conclusive, that even the betutued Carrie Bradshaw herself would be daunted into silent acquiescence. "Sex is of the greatest importance," replied Papa, who held no regard for any authority but his own. I knew not what to make of this contradictory intelligence, and made my exit.

A year had passed, and it pleased my parents to confine me in a Jesuit-run convent, "Loyola High School" they called it, where I was to be impregnated with religious precepts and a sound American education. As I was neither Catholic nor yet American, it seemed only natural that I'd fit right in. Grandmama gave her blessing, observing that being surrounded by my own sex would prove profitable to my edification, for it obviated the pernicious effects of the fair one. I felt the pangs of guilt and shame--my familiar companions--for I had only known the effects whereof she spoke to emanate from men. I saw it my duty to undeceive her, a confession that was likewise to be a deliverance from my burden, but whether out of prudence, or cowardice, I chose to conceal, if not conquer, such and other proclivities of my nature in my demeanor.

Alas, their intervention to mould me into something good had come too late. Left to myself and my own devices, lost in the viscous swamps of puberty, it was my misfortune and escape to be whirled away by the giddiest and gayest of societies. All the heroines I snorted like snuff! Juliet, Ophelia, Moll Flanders, Roxana, Anna Karenina, Emma Bovary--c'était moi! With greed I gobbled up their inner worlds, and their vicissitudes taught me one lesson: there was a substance yet more intoxicating--Love--worth abandoning all judgment and common sense. The consequences would always catch up with the characters in the dull denouement, but why would I heed them at my tender age? Sentimental fiction promised a world more sensical than the one for which I felt too ill-equipped.

The only noteworthy event to take place in my first year was a ball organized for “freshmen,” as they called us, to enter society, by which I mean the society of young ladies. I was naïve and confused enough to attend, confident that my prior experience conversing with the fair sex, whose company I was deprived of now for a twelvemonth, would enrich my solitude with new acquaintances. Having paid more than usual attention to my toilette and dousing myself with Axe, I stepped into the ballroom only to be dismayed at the disconcerted faces of some solitary schoolmates, and the smiles of others whose groins were being stimulated by the derrieres of the said young ladies. As grinding, that fashionable new dance, was not one I was a master of, and as I observed its partakers, not sure whom to envy, my own derriere was gripped by a company of gay young ladies, which proved to be the only manner of communication I was to enjoy that night.

The following school year, my first infatuation befell me. I would compare him to a pine tree, and no, dear reader, not in a cone-bearing, gymnospermous manner! Whatever Vices may be imputed to my kind, I was now fourteen, and my feelings were yet unsullied, as was my Virtue. Mr. ___, my English teacher, was ganglingly tall, exuding freshness akin to one of those noosed automobile conifers. As a freshly graduated teacher, he was at that fleeting phase that generally withers away into depression or tenure. Unlike the other teachers, who slid into the classroom as if into the crematory, he was eager and enthused in a manner that felt earnest. He had great expectations for us. It soon, however, became apparent to me that I was the sole object of his expectations.

Having introduced us to several works of Dickens, Mr. ____, ever desirous to encourage in us the freedom of thought, asked that we post our reactions on an online forum. Others chose to berate the great author, accusing him of inducing in them ennui or slumber. My post was the last, as I was wont to submit my work at the very last moment. I chose to liberate my penchant for the romantic, praising the ingenuity of Ms. Havisham and Madame Defarge and, perhaps out of resentment for my classmates, I slipped in the fact that in the Old World, men much younger than we were made to read War and Peace, a much lengthier work that I, to my great shame, have not yet managed to complete to this day. I was taken ill the next day, and stayed at home, but great was my consternation when I learned the following day that my humble opinion was chosen by Mr. ____, angered by the manner his pupils chose to exercise the freedom he had granted them, to be read out loud to at least three-score ears as an example they ought to follow.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely continue. You've got a great vocabulary and a sense of humor as well. Enjoyed this a lot

Oh wow, thanks for your words of encouragement. I feel like continuing my tale now.

Hey everyone, so the Muse paid me a visit tonight, and I tried to continue my story. I know my writing might come across as if I have a thesaurus up my ass, but I guess I'm using all those fancy words to distance myself from the experiences which I buried deep within my mind. I guess the context of the tale is this: I felt lost and confused trying to come to terms with my sexuality, puberty, immigration and subsequent anomie, while my family and society were busy forcing their outdated ideals on me. My coping mechanism was to find my own outdated ideals in books, which fucked me up yet further. :)

When I was but twelve, as gauche and diffident as anyone at that awkward age, I chanced to enter the parlor, where I witnessed my parents watching the opening credits of Sex and the City. "Sex is a sin," declared Mama, in a manner so stern and conclusive, that even the betutued Carrie Bradshaw herself would be daunted into silent acquiescence. "Sex is of the greatest importance," replied Papa, who held no regard for any authority but his own.

This intelligence was no less contradictory than the feelings overcoming me when, a few weeks earlier, under the vigilance of Russian Orthodox icons, I saw Miss Bradshaw's bobbing locks of hair, enshrined in all their sinful indecency, on a VHS tape my curiosity led me to discover beneath Papa’s bookcase. Mortified by the particular interest I took in the beneficiary of her ardor, and the bees and the birds my parents unleashed upon me, the only decision I could arrive at was to ignore the growth of my limbs, viz. let hands do what lips do: pray.

A year had passed, and it pleased my parents to confine me in a Jesuit-run convent, "Loyola High School" they called it, where I was to be impregnated with religious precepts and a sound American education. As I was neither Catholic nor yet American, it seemed only natural that I'd fit right in. Grandmama gave her blessing, observing that being surrounded by my own sex would prove profitable to my edification, for it obviated the pernicious effects of the fairer one. I felt the pangs of guilt and shame—my familiar companions—for I had only known the effects whereof she spoke to emanate from men. I saw it my duty to undeceive her, a confession that was likewise to be a deliverance from my burden, but whether out of prudence, or cowardice, I chose to conceal, if not conquer, such and other proclivities of my nature in my demeanor.

Alas, their intervention to mould me into something good had come too late. Left to myself and my own devices, lost in the viscous swamps of puberty, it was my misfortune and escape to be whirled away by the giddiest and gayest of societies. All the heroines I snorted like snuff! Juliet, Moll Flanders, Roxana, Anna Karenina, Emma Bovary--c'était moi! With greed I gobbled up their inner worlds; their vicissitudes I condensed into one principle: there was a substance yet more intoxicating—Love—worth abandoning all judgment and common sense. The consequences would always catch up with the characters in the denouement of death, but why would I heed them at my tender age? Sentimental fiction promised a world more sensical than the one for which I felt too ill-equipped.

The only noteworthy event to take place in my first year was a ball organized for “freshmen,” as they called us, to enter society, by which I mean the society of young ladies. I was naïve enough to attend, confident that my prior experience conversing with the gentler sex, whose company I had been deprived of for a twelvemonth, would enrich my solitude with new acquaintances. Having paid more than usual attention to my toilette, dousing myself in Axe, I gulped my timidity and stepped into the ballroom, only to be dismayed by the disconcerted looks of my shunned, cast out schoolfellows, whose social leprosy I knew all too well, and the smiles of the well-endowed with savoir faire, whose groins were being stimulated by the derrieres of the debutantes. As grinding, that fashionable new dance, was not one I was a master of, and as I observed the dexterity and skill of its partakers, not sure whom to envy, my own derriere was gripped by a flock of insolent wenches, which proved to be the only means of communication I was to enjoy that night.

The following school year, my first infatuation befell me. I would compare him to a pine tree, and no, dear reader, not in a cone-bearing, gymnospermous manner! Whatever Vices may be imputed to my kind, I had now entered my fourteenth year, and my feelings were yet unsullied, as was my Virtue. Mr. _____, my English teacher, was ganglingly tall, exuding freshness akin to one of those noosed automobile conifers. As a freshly graduated teacher, he was at that fleeting phase that generally withers away into depression or tenure. Unlike all those pedagogues who slid into the classroom as if into the crematory, he was eager and enthused in a manner that felt earnest. He had great expectations for us. It soon, however, became apparent to me, that I was the sole object of his expectations.

Having introduced us to several works of Dickens, Mr. _____, ever desirous to encourage in us the freedom of thought, asked that we post our reactions on an online forum. Others chose to berate the great author, accusing him of engendering nothing but ennui or slumber. My post was the last, as I was wont to submit my work at the very last moment. I chose to liberate my penchant for the romantic, praising the ingenuity of Miss Havisham and Madame Defarge’s personnages, and, perhaps out of resentment for my classmates, I slipped in the fact that in the Old World, men much younger than we were made to read War and Peace, a much lengthier work that I have not yet read. I was taken ill the next day, and stayed at home, but great was my consternation when I learned the following day that my humble opinion was selected by Mr. _____, angered by the manner his pupils chose to use the freedom they had been granted, to be read out loud to at least three-score ears as an example they ought to follow.

Such a trifling incident took possession of my faculties. That proverbially throbbing organ—the heart—was all aflutter inside me, or so I thought. I know not the true nature of the feeling I nurtured in my bosom. Was it Love? Or was it self love, manifesting itself through a desire to please and impress an object I deemed worthy of such efforts, thereby asserting itself for its own sake? But worry not, dear reader: I ain't gonna front, for my understanding is too weak to venture into such uncharted lands of the human mind.

I saw with clarity that I had inadvertently taken on the lead role in my life, and so I fancied myself the heroine of every novel and play I had ever read. The most hapless scenario I could foresee was that my impertinent assumption of Mr. _______'s having bestowed a particular regard upon me was in error; the most fortuitous being a star-crossed courtship. That his pursuit of me in any manner outside the realms of the platonic was destined to end in his indictment on charges of sexual child abuse appeared to me solely in the light of starry trysts in an unpeopled locker room.

In those dark ages, we spoke of Myspace in lieu of Facebook, which rendered stalking an ordeal. I watched and listened, storing every personal fact escaping His lips, sewing them together and patching up the gaps as I fancied fit. Thus, he had unknowingly become a member of the Quaker tribe, as his “rural upbringing under stern but sensible supervision in upstate New York” left me with no choice but to baptize him as one. How he had ended up in the clutches of Catholics was not a question I cared to consider. His foray into the chronology of the French Revolution set me all atingle: that pulsating nether purse of blood, bursting inside my chest, made me earn to get up on my desk and sing La Marseillaise, which would doubtlessly inspire the disinterested class to recollect the rebellious struggles of their Italian, Polish, or Hispanic ancestors, and march in unison against the tyranny of our school. The manner in which He drove the bus to baseball practice, turning his whole frame in the direction he steered the wheel, was a subject of amusement for my athletically inclined mates, but little did they know how much this bit of gossip endeared him in my eyes.

You might inquire, my dear reader, what course of action it was my design to take so as to secure my conquest firmly in my grip. In short, I did nothing. His eyes meeting mine cast them down in a great deal of confusion. What else was I to do if I were to act the part of the protagonists whom I had skinned, stretching their pelts over the poles of my comfort zone? Indeed I longed for more, but remained passive.

Sensing that my story had gone awry, I continued to seek meaning where there was none. When Mr. _____ gave out a vocabulary exercise, whose first sentence condemned a certain Romona (sic)—which he attributed to a mere erratum—for her lack of sensibility, I knew I was to blame, but for what? How could he not see that taking initiative would break the verisimilitude of my tale? Or when he approached me in class, proffering an anthology of world literature, asking if I had read Chekhov's The Man in a Case, a story of an Ancient Greek teacher who was cast into dejection by any change, any deviation from the rules, the very subject he taught embodying the fence he enclosed himself with from reality? A sincere “no” was all I managed to mumble in reply, my eyes forever glued to my desk, my conscience flagellating my insides for endeavoring to distinguish myself from the rest by adopting the semblance of a bespectacled scholar.