• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Amyl Nitrite (Rush) query

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
I had my fist try of this last night .... (I wish there was a gritted teeth, slightly bemused yet weirded out smiley to express my feelings here)

I watched my boyfriend sniff from the little bottle first. He seemed to survive with no noticeable bad effects, or much effect at all really, so I thought, what the hell. Took the little bottle and sniffed it up.

INSTANTLY it hit me like being smacked in the head by a firm mattress. A huge "coming up" feeling.... absolutely overwhelming. I couldn't see, couldn't speak, couldn't articlute anything. "Oh" was the only sound that came out. Nausea rose up. It was hard to breathe. Everyone started getting worried about me because I looked so freaked out. I was. This was by far the single most INTENSE 30 seconds of my drug-taking career, including the strongest pills I've ever taken. I actually couldn't wait for it to end - I was scared shitless.

When you say "sniffed up", how much did you actually sniff? I prefer little sniffs. I get a little headrush but it's not out of my control. It's also good for sex.

Now an intense combination is E and amyl nitrite which I've done a couple of times but don't like to do anymore (spins me out of control too much).

^ Heh.... I was told to "take a big, long hard sniff until you can't breathe in anymore". Little whiffs would have been MUCH better in hindsight.

No wonder I nearly passed out! :D

On the topic of "big, hard sniffs" it's pretty easy to give yourself a chemical burn to the base of your nose if you're over-zealous.

Someone once gave me the tip to just open the jar and leave it in a closed room to evaporate, rather than inhaling directly, but this sounded dubious to me. Can anyone confirm or deny if this works or is safer?

^ You could do that but personally I think it's a waste. I'd rather have a headrush than feel a bit woozy.

nah - rush is very ouchy

was into it about a year ago.. after a big night out of hitting it and the pills i had ulcers in my mouch, tongue and down my throat.. not to mention the terrible hangover-like headaches on the comedown

A friend of mine once accidentally dropped a bottle of 'amyl' on the floor of her kitchen, which smashed and filled the kitchen with vapour. Fortunately the bottle was not full, and the ventilation was such that the room cleared in a couple of rushy hours later.

BigTrancer :)

SkiNLaB said:
^^ were u peakin @ the time?

Nope. Had had a little meth and a tiny, tiny bump of K but that's it. I would probably try it again on a pill, but only a small whiff next time not a giant elephant snort!

Of all the recreational drugs known, only tobacco is known to cause cancer True or False?

There is a class of compounds far more toxic than the benzopyrenes in tobacco. These are the nitrosamines, some of the most potent carcinogens known.

So where do these nitrosamines come from?

Besides being produced by some bacteria, they can also be produced in the body when nitrite or nitrate ions are present. The conversion occurs due to the reactive nature of the ions, resulting in a kinetically favorable enzyme catalysed process. In essence, endogenous (natural body) molecules such as trivalent or secondary amines and amides react with the nitrite to form the very reactive nitrosamines. Nitrosamines enhance the rate of lipid peroxidation, producing harmful free radicals known as endoperoxides which destroy cells.

A bit of basic Chem

R & R' can = H, CH3, CH2CH3, etc (known as an alkyl group)
O= oxygen
N = nitrogen
H = hydrogen

The reaction of a nitrite with a secondary amine produces the nitrosamine

RONO + R'2NH --> ROH + R'2NNO

Nitrosamines are so reactive that when exposed to UV light, decomposition occurs. A similar enzyme catalysed reaction occurs in the body.

R2NNO + Light --> RO* + NO

NO is nitric oxide (not to be confused with laughing gas; N2O or nitrous oxide). NO is an endogenous chemical which has many roles, but it suffices to say this reactive compound is involved in cellular communication and plays an important role in apoptosis (programmed cellular death).

The second compound RO*is an alkyl free radical. Depending upon the alkyl group attached, these compounds may slightly to very toxic to cells.

What's actually in poppers

We talk of RUSH, BULLSEYE, POPPERS etc of being amyl nitrite. This in fact not the case. Amyl nitrite (isopentyl nitrite) was withdrawn from the market long ago following reports showing the carcinogenic potential of the compound. What replaced amyl was simply the next next best thing that was still legal.

When isopentyl/amyl was withdrawn from prescription in the US in 1968, the popper market at the time was a big industry. Replacements were sought and as butyl nitrites were used extensively throughout the perfume industry as well as being employed for use in antifreeze, the choice was obvious.

....A little bit more Chem

The difference between amyl, butyl etc, is simply the number of carbons in the group. "Iso" is the terminal branched isomer of the compound. "n" implies the carbons are linear in arrangement and not branched. "Sec" says there are 2 branches off the 1 carbon. "Tert" says 3 off the 1 carbon.

OK what's all this got to poppers I hear you asking.

Well we've established that amyl nitrite is no longer used in poppers. The butyl nitrites, all varieties listed above including butyl nitrate are produced in the manufacture of poppers through the action of nitrous acid on butyl alcohol. Iso-butyl nitrate, also produced, is converted to nitrite in the body (also a toxic process)

So now you know the compounds, you may like to do a Google search on any of them with the term nitrosamines. Also, if you use or intend to use nitrites, then you at least owe it to yourself to be well informed of the risks. These compounds are potentially very damaging. Sodium Nitrite is used as a preservative in bacon and other meats, but levels of nitrosamines are carefully monitored. Vitamin C is added to prevent the formation of nitrosamines in smallgoods, but as the following reports show, it has little affect when taken as a pre-load to using nitrites.

One thing I'm quite certain of. If you read the following papers, you will definitely think twice before deciding poppers are a harmless drug.

Health Hazards of Nitrite Inhalants

EXPEDITED CANCER POTENCY VALUES AND NO SIGNIFICANT RISK LEVELS (NSRLs) FOR FOUR PROPOSITION 65 CARCINOGENS: ISOBUTYL NITRITE, NALIDIXIC ACID, o-PHENYLENEDIAMINE, o-PHENYLENEDIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE

No Significant Risk Levels for Carcinogens and Maximum allowable dose levels for Chemicals Causing Reproductive Toxicity

Last edited:
^ p_d, when you said that "Vitamin C is aded to prevent the formation of nitrosamines in smallgoods", is this to stop naturally occuring nitrosamines, or to prevent the formation of nitrosamines because of any added preservatives?

Both, but mainly to prevent formation. As mentioned, in the presence of secondary amines, nitrosamines are easily formed. As any breakdown of the nitrite will produce some RO* free radicals, the products would cause further reactions with other nitrite ions providing the energy for all sorts of bio-reactions.

If you read the first paper you will notice that nitrosamines are monitored in bacon. Vitamin C will soak up free radicals and inhibit bacterial production of nitrosamines. Vitamin C also scavenges any radicals from lipid peroxidation, so if this is enhanced, theoretically it should provide protection if taken as a preload, but research suggests the reactivity and toxicity of nitrosamine/peroxidase products circumvents the protective effects of the antioxidant.

Amyl nitrite (isopentyl nitrite) was withdrawn from the market long ago following reports showing the carcinogenic potential of the compound. What replaced amyl was simply the next next best thing that was still legal.

Fuck me!

I and others i know used REAL isoamyl nitrite on and off for a while a few years ago.

IT was absolutely unbelievable and kicks shit over butyl ones. However i never knew anything like the information that P_D has just stated. I knew nitrites have "some" carcinogenic characteristics, but not that REAL Amyl was actually withdrawn due to significant risks.

This is a big lesson to me and it should be a lesson to everyone. Even the more scientifically "knowledgeable" people on this board do NOT know everything. Nor do they necessarily know everything about things they are PERSONALLY doing to themselves. I clearly did not.

All i can say is read, learn, remember and survive - and then when u have done that read some more.
No one can say they know it all and thus for everyone there will always be dangers in experimenting with ANYTHING that even the best of us are not aware of.

I better book me in for a check up - thank God it was occasional use.

Ok, who knows the difference between isobutyl nitrites in poppers (illegal in US) and isobutyl alcohol in poppers (legal in US)?

I'd be suprised to find real Amyl here, there is only one or two brands that still produce proper Amyl, most of it seems to be Butyl or Isobutyl. I find real Amyl to much stronger and cleaner feeling myself.

I fixed up the links to my above post, so you can see the structure of iso-butyl nitrite.

Here's iso-butyl alcohol or isobutanol as it's more correctly termed.

cbook.cgi

From Cornell university; MSDS for isobutanol

Section 9 - Physical & Chemical Properties
ISOBUTANOL ACS, 58450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HCC:
NRC/State License Number:
Net Property Weight for Ammo:
Boiling Point: >107.C, 224.6F Boiling Point Text:
Melting/Freezing Point: Melting/Freezing Text: N/P
Decomposition Point: Decomposition Text: N/P
Vapor Pressure: 8 MM @ 20C Vapor Density: 2.55
Percent Volatile Organic Content:
Specific Gravity: 0.801
Volatile Organic Content Pounds per Gallon:
pH: N/P
Volatile Organic Content Grams per Liter:
Viscosity: N/P
Evaporation Weight and Reference: N/P
Solubility in Water: N/P
Appearance and Odor: COLORLESS LIQUID.
Percent Volatiles by Volume: N/P
Corrosion Rate: N/P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 10 - Stability & Reactivity Data
ISOBUTANOL ACS, 58450

Stability Indicator: YES
Materials to Avoid:
STRONG OXIDIZING AGENTS, ACID CHLORIDES, ACID ANHYDRIDES.
Stability Condition to Avoid:
N/P
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
HAZARDOUS COMBUSTION OR DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS TOXIC FUMS OF: CARBON MONOXIDE, CARBON DIOXIDE.
Hazardous Polymerization Indicator: NO
Conditions to Avoid Polymerization:
N/P

Section 11 - Toxicological Information
ISOBUTANOL ACS, 58450

Toxicological Information:
TO BEST OF MFR'S KNOWLEDGE, CHEMICAL, PHYSICAL, & TOXICOLOGICAL PROPERTIES HAVE NOT BEEN THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED. RTECS #: NP9625000 ISOBUTYL ALCOHOL. TOXICITY DATA: ORL-RAT LD50:2460 MG/KG AMIHBC 10, 61,1954. IPR- LD50:720 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. IVN-RAT LD50:340 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. IPR-MUS LD50:544 MG/KG RCOCB8 26,75,1979. IVN-MUS LD50:417 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. SKN-RBT LD50:3400 MG/KG NPIRI 1,11,1974. IPR-RBT LD50: 323 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. IPR-GPG LD50:1201 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. IPR-HAM LD50: 1401 MG/KG EVHPAZ 61,321,1985. TARGET ORGAN DATA: LIVER (OTHER CHANGES) (OTHER INFORMATION)

I wouldn't think the alcohol would be very euphoric and certainly wouldn't be expected to give the same effects as the nitrite. You can convert the alcohol to the nitrite using sodium nitrite (bacon preservative) and sulphuric acid.

Of course this would be illegal in your country so I don't suggest you do it, but for purely educational purposes, here is the simple process for n-butanol as outlined by Eleusis, back in the early dayz of internet newsgroup drug chemistry discussions. Iso-butanol should react the same manner.

n-Butyl Nitrite from n-Butanol
Place a 1L round bottom flask (either 3-neck or in conjunction with a claisen adapter) into an ice/Calcium Chloride bath. Add 450mL of water and 1.64 moles Sodium Nitrite (117g 97%) to the flask. Drop in a stirrer magnet, insert a thermometer into either the center tube of the claisen adapter of one of the necks if using a three-neck flask and stir until the temperature of the solution drops to 0°C or below.

Prepare a second solution of 30mL water, .75 moles conc. Sulfuric Acid (77g) and 1.5 moles of n-Butanol (110g/137mL) which has been chilled to 0C also (Add in that order!). Ideally, with the three necked flask, this solution is added below the surface, but with sufficiently vigorous stirring and a slow enough rate, it can be done satisfactorily with the claisen setup. Either way, a separatory funnel is loaded with the second solution, and it is added to the flask at a slow enough rate so that no gas evolves and such that the reaction temperature does not vary more than +/- 1°C. With the three-neck flask setup, this should take between 1.5 to 2 hours. The claisen setup may take up to four.

After all of second solution has been added, turn off the stirrer and let the solution separate into 2 layers while still on the ice bath. Decant the two layers from the Sodium Sulfate solids into a separatory funnel. The aqueous layer will be on bottom and should be removed. The remaining n-Butyl Nitrite layer should then be washed in the funnel with 2 25mL portions of a 50mL solution of 1g Sodium Bicarbonate and 12.5g Sodium Chloride in water. The n-Butyl Nitrite may then be dried over 10g anhydrous Sodium Sulfate, or used as is in reactions involving water. The yield should be 80-85% of the expected, or 1.25-1.5 moles actual.