• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetimine psychosis dose dependent or sleep amount dependent?

Deemgd

Bluelighter
I have read conflicting theories of what actually causes amphetimine psychosis- the actual effects of the drug or the lack of sleep. During my recent adderall binge I forced myself to sleep for 2 hours a night using pills, hoping this would prevent me from going into amphetimine psychosis like I did on my last binge in July. I was taking the same very large amount (200-300 mgs of amphetamines a day), and for the same amount of time (3 days straight) And at similar dosing schedules.

This time, I was able to avoid the psychosis, wondering if it is largely sleep dependent. You would think with the same dosage I would have had the same thing happen this time.

Problems that I have with this theory though are that A)even at 2 hours of sleep a night for three days, I am still very sleep deprived and definitely not achieving quality or REM sleep B) How then can some people get thrown into psychosis from say one large shot of meth or one huge dose of amphetimines without suffering sleep deprevation???

Just wondering if all the effort I put into getting just two hours of sleep a night was worth it and in fact stopped psychosis from setting in, or if I just got lucky this time and could have rode it out with no effects without sleep.

Has a tiny bit of sleep made a difference in warding off psychosis for anyone else? Have you ever had stim psychosis without sleep deprivation?

It's probably not a strict one or the other answer. But my understanding is that sleep is the biggest factor. I'm sure the dose is far from irrelevant, just that lack of sleep is much more likely to cause it.

I'm not a big amphetamine person so my experience is limited. I have been up for I think about 3 or 4 days at most from amphetamines, but only once. And a couple other times for 2 days. Never on a regular basis, and I've never taken even remotely large doses.

I've never experienced anything close to amphetamine psychosis either though.

I'm going to say its both. Like Jess said, the big one is the sleep deprivation, but if you're already predisposed to psychosis, just the drug can set it off.

And once you've experienced it, you are more likely to experience it again. I've experienced stim psychosis 3 times, once from coke, and 2 from meth. Mine was in my opinion long term sleep deprivation induced. 2 hours of sleep a week does that to a guy.

Its definitely both. I used to believe it was just from sleep but... sometimes if you wake up early and do a lot of speed, weird things will start to happen before the day is even over...

I'm in agreement with these guys. A large dose of Amphetamine can and often does produce psychosis, among other negative symptoms. Sleep deprivation will do the same. I'm not a physician or anything, but I've heard people who allegedly are quite well-informed on the topic that the degradation seen in Methamphetamine addicts is chiefly due to their sleep deprivation. The crazy behavior, hallucinations etc. is brought on, yes, by the stimulants, but sleep deprivation is often the major contributory factor in users developing psychosis and such.