• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamines and vitamin C

There are a dozen articles over the next 20 years from this one that report the correlation between acidic urinary Ph and excretion rate of amphetamine and methamphetamine.
I always assumed that Vitamin C's decrease in concentration and sodium bicarbonate's increase were due to the effects on stomach pH. It's interesting to see that it is actually due to urine pH.

Another great study that I found very interesting is BECKETT, A. H., & ROWLAND, M. (1965). Urinary excretion kinetics of amphetamine in man. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 17(10), 628–639.

I always assumed that Vitamin C's decrease in concentration and sodium bicarbonate's increase were due to the effects on stomach pH. It's interesting to see that it is actually due to urine pH.

Another great study that I found very interesting is BECKETT, A. H., & ROWLAND, M. (1965). Urinary excretion kinetics of amphetamine in man. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 17(10), 628–639.
Not just urinary pH. Specifically pH in the tubules in the kidneys unless there has been some new discovery since the 70’s. The kidneys act like a valve switching some % of amphetamine towards excretion and the remaining % towards reabsorption and continued potential psychoactivity. The pH in the kidney tubules controls the variable position of the valve.

seems like Beckett was the go-to guy on this topic back in the day

Except Vitamin C doesn't acidify urine to any significant degree:

1000mg 4x/day for 5 days - not statistically significant

2 grams 3x/day a change of .16-.18 in pH, again not statistically significant

"Therefore, vitamin C can not be recommended to lower the pH of alkaline urines."

It does seem that vitamin c may directly lower levels of amphetamine and possibly methamphetamine in the body.

Apparently, ascorbic acid will deaminate amphetamine in the presence of oxygen buffered to a pH of 7.0

Ascorbic acid also apparently lowers the level of amphetamine in dogs.

If you really want to lower your urinary pH, without taking ammonium chloride or other harsh chemicals, eat lots of meat and cheese.