• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants amphetamines and beta blockers.

xxxyyy

Bluelighter
a friend of mine swears by taking some propranolol before taking any upper. he swears it greatly potentiates the effects of the uppers. i have not tried it yet (although i have some bisoprolol at my disposal) and always thought it's bullshit, aside from the beta blockers helping with the negative cardiovascular effects. but i don't know enought about the pharmacodynamics to be sure. so could someone with more insight into this enlighten me?

Well, it stops your heart from going into overdrive so he might enjoy that. And, some of the non-selective B-blockers are antianxiety (bisoprolol isn't one of them).
You might get a bit less of a physical edge from it but thats about all I can think of.

EA, is it a strain on your heart to take beta blockers with amphetamines?

well i've just tried it, been snorting methylphenidate all night (maybe 30mg by now, i have no tolerance), and i don't know if it's just a placebo (10mg bisoprolol) but i feel a bit calmer. but i did take a metric shit ton of pregabalin (3000mgs) so that's probably what's taking the edge off. if i ever get my hands of some propranolol i'll try it again, but like you said, bisoprolol doesn't do much. ah well, worth a try.

edit: i found this: on erowid
worth a read.

edit 2: i don't know if it's just the pregabalin working its magic but i feel absolutely, completely fantastic. i guess the selegine i take daily (5mg) factors in this too, and i can't decifer what the bisoprolol actually does in this large cocktail of drugs in my bloodstream (selegiline, mirtazapine, pregabalin).
oh well, fuck it. i haven't felt this good since i last binged on morphine. also the bruxism is gone which is really nice.

Last edited:
Would it make any difference if I'm using pure dextromethamphetamine as opposed to racemic which has a lot more CNS active undesired effects that could be dealt with with propanolol?

What about lisinopril?

There is a problem with taking amphetamines and beta blockers at the same time, and that is unopposed alpha-adrenergic stimulation. Beta blockers only knock out the beta-adrenergic branch of the sympathetic nervous system. The alpha-adrenergic branch remains fully active. This means that you get vasoconstriction (from alpha adrenergic stimulation) but with a reduced cardiac output (from the beta blockers slowing the heart rate). There is a risk of high blood pressure and reduced tissue perfusion (decreased blood flow to the tissues) which can cause tissue damage and can even lead to a myocardial infarction (heart attack).

^ I've read contradictory reports.

Why would doctors prescribe beta-blockers with amphetamine if something as lethal as a heart attack were a risk?

^ I've read contradictory reports.

Why would doctors prescribe beta-blockers with amphetamine if something as lethal as a heart attack were a risk?

Its a dose thing, if you're eating say 60mg's of Adderall and take a beta blocker its not going to be good. However, with lower doses of both you should be fine.
Alpha 2 antagonists are iffy though, you can definitely end up with some serious issue then. Propranolol, is a oddball though because of its B2 antagonism blocking some aspects of vasodilation.

Pretty much avoid recreational doses and things should be fine as far as I've read. I could be wrong though

hmm I be uber new on here and admittedly only joined because of the insightful information on here. I myself am quite confused on the whole amphetamines n beta-blocker mixed dose effect. I am currently taking 'Deralin' 40mg tablets. I took my usual dose of one this morning, and about ten minutes later I then had a shot of speed/gear (or what ever you would like to call it) alas it was only 1 point that I had. I don't feel in way what so ever active, mayhaps a little more motivated to (as I actually could b bothered to type this lol) I will wait and see what happens tho. this is the second time ive tried it, but the first time I didn't really get to monitor the effects as much as I would have liked to, plus last time I already other substances in my system such as lyrica.
really hoping for some insightful or even different opinions on this combination as I don't particularly wanna have wasted the money spent on 'up-up-n-away' just because I took my stupid Deralin first grrr
thankies heaps =)

My wife took bisoprolol today for the first time, 10 mg from her doctor, been having rapid heart and some minor chest pains, her doc put her on this to slow her rapid heart. She now is high as hell, seems like she drank a case of beer, talking out her ass, is this normal for her first dose? I'm wondering to have her take only 5mg tomorrow. I don't know anything about this drug, seen some side effects, drowsy, dizziness and may fall down?..really. I wonder if this effect will wear off in a day or two being new to the drug. Any help plz, thx.

There is a problem with taking amphetamines and beta blockers at the same time, and that is unopposed alpha-adrenergic stimulation. Beta blockers only knock out the beta-adrenergic branch of the sympathetic nervous system. The alpha-adrenergic branch remains fully active. This means that you get vasoconstriction (from alpha adrenergic stimulation) but with a reduced cardiac output (from the beta blockers slowing the heart rate). There is a risk of high blood pressure and reduced tissue perfusion (decreased blood flow to the tissues) which can cause tissue damage and can even lead to a myocardial infarction (heart attack).

This is only true in extremely high doses of both. Been on atenolol for PVC's (arrhythmia) for 15 years; Ritalin for the first year of those 15 and Adderall for 9 of them. I have a cardiologist, P-doc and GP. ALL say it's very ok. Basically, The dose of stimulants you would need on top of the beta blocker for the reaction/issue you bring up would put you in the hospital EVEN IF you took that stimulant alone. Same with the beta blocker; the dose you would need to take to cause dangerous beta adrenergic reactions ON TOP OF the stimulants' Alpha adrenergic reactions would be enough alone, WITHOUT the stimulant, to also land you in the hospital. At normal doses this combination is actually somewhat beneficial as it relieves any anxiety, helps reduce rapid heartbeat and lowers blood pressure all of which could stem from the Adderall by itself... which is a problem for a lot of people. Finally, I do know that they are starting to give patients who have these problems with Adderall clonidine rather than the B blockers as it is more effective for the aforementioned side effects.