• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetamine vs lisdexamphetamine: How much gets destroyed in the liver?

glab

Bluelighter
I heard a doctor who's specialized in meth abuse talk about meth.

He said that in world war 2 they used meth (pervitine) tablets.

But he said that if you take meth orally in low doses then much of it gets destroyed in the liver before it even reaches the blood.

He said meth only gives you a kick if you take high doses nasally.

Now I wonder what about amphetamines?

Do they also become deactivated in the liver before going into the blood?

Does this mean if you take adderall most of it doesn't even get into the blood?

---

But then what about lisdexamphetamine? From what I know it's activated in the red blood cells.

Does this mean that lisdex gets through the liver without being destroyed and that you basically it's more effective than normal amphetamines?

Does going through the liver really destroy much of it? I thought that lisdexamphetamine is activated in the red blood cells.

It doesnt go through the liver to be activated. Nor are intestinal enzymes responsible. As you said, the conversion of LDX to D-amp occurs within RBCs. After you swallow it, nearly all is absorbed from the intestines intact via a transporter (PEPT1 and/or PEPT2) and the RBCs in portal circulation convert much of it to d-amp before it reaches the systemic circulation. And its not the liver enzymes doing it either. Its not a true first pass effect as we commonly know it.

That's true, in world war II Germany gave meth tablets to their soldiers which was taken orally. According to Wikipedia, the oral bioavailability of meth is 70% which is pretty good. lisdexamphetamine is just a pro-drug of amphetamine which means it is something that helps amphetamine get absorbed better than amphetamine would itself. The main thing to remember about drugs in general is that when you take it orally it takes awhile to get into your system. It has to go through the stomach, small intestine, through the liver and then into the bloodstream. All this takes time, usully 20-30 minutes.

When you snort, inject or smoke somthing you get it all almost immediately. So your brain gets a big dose of it, which gives a huge rush. This makes it far more addictive than taking something orally. With oral administration it slowly trickles into your system. As I said, a big part of the addictiveness of drugs is not just how much you get but how fast you get it. This is why heroin is super addictive, when you IV it, it gets into your system and into your brain very fast.

Last edited:
The conversion rate is around 40%. So 100 mg of lisdexamp would translate into about 40 mg of d-amp (Adderall is only 75% d-amp). The two have similar pharmacokinetics, actually. If you want, I could pull up a study, but I'd have to search for it, so I'm not going to post it unless you want me to.

Amphetamine or Adderall works best for me up the nose. I find it sucks orally that's just me though. I know taking it orally the effects can be very random from almost no effect to very good effects depending on the pH of your stomach and how acidic it is, the less acidic the better. When I sniff it I get the same great feeling every time so it isn't as unpredictable as taking it orally thus why I stick with that ROA. I have heard plugging is great from lots of people, but I have tried it like 5 times THE CORRECT WAY and had hardly any positive effects from this. I don't know why as I have plugged other drugs and had wonderful results.