• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamine - The Drug You Learn to Hate

I love the idea of this. It basically describes everything there is to amphetamine. It's also very well-written and formatted. But there were some mistakes, mostly about the pharmacology of amphetamine.

Amphetamine (and its derivatives) are unique from most other drugs. The effects of amphetamine work in discrete stages, and some effects may continue while other effects wear off.

A user develops tolerance to amphetamine in different ways than he would develop tolerance to say, opiates or benzos. Amphetamine tolerance is not caused by an increase of corresponding receptors, but instead it is mainly caused by depletion of the neurotransmitters it releases (dopamine, norepinephrine, and some serotonin) and also because amphetamine is neurotoxic (not only will the amphetamine molecule itself cause neuron damage, but the oxidation resulting from the metabolism of neurotransmitters reaches abnormally high levels and can kill neurons. Also, an increased body temperature can increase the potential for neuron death.) Amphetamine tolerance can also indirectly be the product of lack of sleep and poor nutrition. Amphetamine tolerance has many more factors which play in to it than traditional drugs. Some users find that with responsible usage, they can delay amphetamine tolerance indefinitely. Other users find that tolerance can be accumulated rapidly from just one period of binge usage.

Usually tolerance occurs to some extent through the downregulation of receptors, and usually also through a reduction of the release of neurotransmitter. Amphetamine tolerance does cause a downregulation of dopamine receptors like other drugs and it also involves a reduction of the release of dopamine (and to some extent, with NE and a little 5-HT). But the mechanism is slightly different.

Amphetamine is a substrate of dopamine transporter (DAT), which is the protein on the presynaptic cell that transports (reuptakes) dopamine from the synapse to inside the cell. As a substrate, it is also a competitive inhibitor. DAT confuses amphetamine for DA and reuptakes it, unlike most reuptake inhibitors (cocaine, prozac, wellbutrin, etc) which are purely inhibitors but not substrates. Inside the cell, it somehow actually reverses DAT so that it actually transports dopamine out of the cell, into the synapse, increasing synaptic transmission of dopaminergic cells. It also reverses vesicular monamine transporters (VMAT2) on the vesicle surfaces that normally transport dopamine into vesicles from the cell cytoplasm. This increases the dopamine inside the cell and DAT is reversed, so there is a HUGE increase in dopamine in the synapse and a huge increase in dopaminergic signaling. Methamphetamine does all of these but causes a much greater serotonin increase and also releases glutamate.

On the very short term, tolerance is developed to a large degree from depletion of vesicles, but also to a fair extent from downregulation of receptors and possibly downregulation of DAT. But downregulation occurs quickly and continues to happen as a binge continues or through daily use.

Furthermore, amphetamine ITSELF isn’t directly neurotoxic. It doesn’t act on pro-apoptopic receptors and it doesn’t directly do anything to harm a cell. What it does is increase release of toxic neurotransmitters and inhibit their breakdown, both by inhibition of MAO and by always pumping out of the cell where there is no MAO. Too much of any of the monoamines is usually neurotoxic and dopamine itself is a neurotoxin, being easily oxidized into its quinone, which is a free radical. Free radicals basically destroy molecules or bind to them covalently. This damages cells and can cause them to kill themselves (any cell that gets signals that it isn’t needed or harmful will try to kill itself). But “the amphetamine molecule itself” will not cause neural damage. Only indirectly via other agents.

Anyways, sorry to write so much that’s so in depth and esoteric, but I study this stuff for a living. Again, Spunky, I really liked the idea of and execution of your post and I don’t want to seem like I’m putting you down or anything for errors in pharmacology.

Sorry for the long post!
-Jaguraguguru

You and I are quite alike. I can see you have become acquainted with failure, as have I. It is without a doubt the most prominent of our similarities, and nevertheless significant. I could spend all day listing everythhing I've tried to dissuade myself from building up a tolerance, but I have found this effort to be a futile one. On the contrary,

YOU CANNOT HIDE FROM YOUR TOLERANCE TO AMPHETAMINES

During the course of my educational career, you could say I've "migrated" from the well respected university I once called home, to where I currently reside, a community college. Few would consider this the education of choice, especially for one who aspires to become a medical doctor. As it turns out, not even psychosis can offset this lifelong desire of mine. 13 years its been, 13 years of intoxication. Today, I could not tell you if it was the years of watching television, the year of smokage of the marijuana, or even malnutrition (go figure). Nevertheless, I scarcely resemble who I once was, or how I once thought. I cannot remember how this started, I cannot piece together how it all fell apart, but what I can tell you is this. My memory is fragmented, my mind is deluded, speach and comprehension have long since deserted me, and Amphetamines are the culprit. They once conquered my past, but now, they have destroyed my future.

I plan to end this nightmare before December 13 of this year. For people like you and me, that is the only solution left. My situation is the culmination of my own failures, not yours, so please, if you feel morally obligated to tell me something I don't need to hear, then i have two words for you. Don't bother.

Please, do not take my knowledge for granted. Adderall does not cure ADHD, it only masks it for a temporary time. Getting prescribed is tantum to shooting yourself in the brain. Take my word for it. I was born a writer, and its the last thing I have. If you covet your emotions, your memory, and your sanity, you will abstain from using amphetamines on a daily basis. That is the best advice I have for anyone with an attention problem.

best regards,
Adam

P.S.> AMPHETA-RESTORE IS A JOKE. DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME

(I really have tried everything)

Hey man, i don't know if you are already into music but if not, start playing an instrument. And have a read about Lemmy from Motorhead - who has definitely gone through most of these stages.

For years scientists who were seemingly the leaders in their fields have maintained that the brain is not 'plastic'... That you get a certain setup to begin with and, it does not change itself, or repair itself.

But this one great doctor 'Norman Doidge' (wrote some book about "the brain that changes itself") , was adamant that the brain could right itself/modify itself throughout life.

He has done amazing things with stroke patients, pinpointing the areas of the brain that had been damaged and working out ways to move the certain functions previously completed by this part, to another area in the brain.

He has gone so far as to set up a camera that transferred an image via touch to a blind person's skin, allowing them to distinguish the information coming from the camera.

Music man, it is also amazing.

Maybe Amps might allow your brain to make changes to itself quite quickly because there is alot of action in certain parts, but there is seriously hope of re-programming it how you wanted.

Doing something you enjoy will allow this to happen more quickly because there are elevated levels of memory re-enforcing chemicals floating around your brain when you are happy/enjoying something.

How often do you forget the plot to a movie that you like? And movies make a lot of use of music to create pleasure in your brain.

I am just a hack with this stuff though, but yeah i reckon you should look up 'Norman Doidge" and the stuff he is writing.

Brain plasticity goes against medical certainties of times past, but is now being discovered to be a fact.

How long do these side effects of the high stages last? Are they lifetime or is there someway to reverse their severity.

They may last years, or the rest of your life.

If you take several months to years off of all amphetamines (and most other stimulants, or at least things other than nicotine or caffeine), you may regain the positive effects one day.

It'll probably not be the same like it used to though.

I can't say that is true for you though, only you can find out.

I would take at least 1 month off. Good luck!

People who are in this cycle need help... Serious, professional, comprehensive help. Someone like myself needs to learn how to live again, without amphetamines. Normal motivation has completely evaporated, leaving me with an emptiness I didn't know existed. This shit sucks.

Just a warning to anyone in this cycle, it will get worse. You may be permanently addicted, even when not taking the drug, constantly contemplating picking up again. I wish I had never been introduced to these robotizing phenylamines..

I would suggest going to a psychiatrist for a diagnosis (you might have other mental problems - if not, then) and try CBT.

Amphetamine is a phenethylamine for the record.
The word amphetamine is derived from its chemical name: alpha-methylphenethylamine.

edit nevermind, i realize this was about addictive use mainly, I was going to point out that this doesn't happen to people who legitamely need it for adhd and people who only take it in the prescribed amount, then I reread your opening paragraph and realized you covered that

Yeah, people who use it responsibly (<-- key word) for ADD/ADHD will likely never get past stage 2.

If you abuse amphetamine, even with ADHD, it will make your ADHD worse, and you will likely go through all the stages if you abuse it for long enough (<-- the key is a long history of abuse, often lasting for many years).

Last edited:
Im from the northeast where crystal methamphetamine is very uncommon, almost unheard of. Last year I moved to southern california and just happened to move into an area that was the meth capital of the county. This would be my first experience with it and it wouldnt end for 9 months. In those nine months I experienced every stage written up there or if not experienced a part of it I have seen someone who has.

Opiates have been my main addiction for 7 years, still are. Iv even had times of heavy ecstasy abuse, coke and prescription amphetamines. But Never in my lifetime of consuming drugs of all ranges have I fallen so low in those 9 months.

what exactly is too much, every day I say today I am going to take a day off, by noon the depression and frustration lead me to ride my bicycle home in the snow for a dose. I would say I am stage 4 A day without is a day not worth getting out of bed.
Is there anyway to break this cycle?

Is there anyway to break this cycle?

Yeah, start taking smaller doses gradually.

If you use 20mg now, try 15mg for a week or two, then 10mg for a week or two. Take time to stabilize to that, then go for 7.5mg, then 5mg, then 2.5mg. These steps may take longer.

Good luck with quitting!

thanks

wow what you have just described is me 100%, i just wanna say thanks for taking the time to write this out, I thought there was something wrong with me, like I was the only person feeling like this.

But now I realize its because of the ampthetamine,

in your opinion, after reaching the last stage, lest say a user stopped using amphetamine, how long do think it would take to start to feel normal again?

I've stopped taking it before for just over 6 months and I still didnt feel right, if u know what i mean, so I just started taking it again

I've noticed too that even after 6months, I took it once had a little loved up nice feeling for about 1 hour then it just went back to stage where you take it, and all you feel is awake, nothing else lol

I'm very worried now after reading stage 8 , thats me mostly now, in fact for soo long that i even forgot about the drugs and started thinking it was my personality thats changed, shit lol, am I proper messed up or what?? I dont know.

Is that really brain damage, I just thought I was sluuring and stuttering my words because of lack of enthusiasm or something, for me now I spend most of my time on my own because I dont feel I have the energy to actually talk to people and express emotions, its such an effort for me now. and I can never get exited about much no more, even that takes effort lol

do you think I should see a doctor, I want to but I'm embarresed and I wouldnt know where to start lol

Anyways i need 2 stop writing I was only supposed to say thanks LOL , thanks again for posting this thread!

Last edited:
this is the worst bit:

Essentially, the mind at this point is irreversibly compromised. The user's personality might have changed permanently. The individual may be much more easily irritated for the rest of his/her life. Cognitive functioning will never work the same as it used to. Although the user may make improvements and greatly recover, it will almost always seem like something "isn't right" in the mind, or that something is "missing". Individuals will still be able to lead fulfilling lives, and some may make amazing recoveries where they feel normal again like they did before they ever began using. Unfortunately, in severe cases, the individual may never be the same again.

I've had that feeling for years now, r u saying that feeling could be permenant,

I 'm just at a point now where I'm thinking why go on, I knew something was wrong in the back of my mind but I just thought I was being paraniod and should stop being a pussy so I ignored it.

anyways sorry,no one wants hear all this stuff, brings people down lol im sure everyones got enough problems of there own, Peace out!

thanks

thanks, I stopped for 6months and then I got some this morning like an idiot lol, but im determined not to fall back into the cycle, u've gave me somthing else 2 think of next time I think of getting any. :)

I've only just found out about this site, I think its cool this site exists,

where I can talk about stuff like this an people actually understand what I'm going in about!

thanks, I stopped for 6months and then I got some this morning like an idiot lol, but im determined not to fall back into the cycle, u've gave me somthing else 2 think of next time I think of getting any. :)

I've only just found out about this site, I think its cool this site exists,

where I can talk about stuff like this an people actually understand what I'm going in about!

I'm going to link you to this thread, I think it'll help you feel better about getting past amphetamine use, it's a thread full of people doing the same thing. :)

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=451056

The Dark Side has certain rules like "no triggering posts", so if you want to talk about recovering from using amphetamines, that's definitely the thread to do it in.

Glad I could be reassuring! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, or if you have any other questions.

Its great to see that I'm not crazy...I take adderall daily for adhd and have recently found myself constantly depressed, anxious, unmotivated, unless i'm on adderall, and I know it's due to adderall depleting my sertonin or something..I took about a week break and went back to stage 2, but only for so long. I need to either up my dosage or take a break, but without adderall, my adhd swallows me whole. Win/lose situation? I have no clue.

I started crystal meth at age 18 in 1995 and binged heavily ,IV use,etc. ,stayed up about a month straight and have seen the highs and lows from speed.I stopped for about a year though ,because I was in a car wreck and prescribed high doses of strong opiates,but then after that I started to use speed again ,although not as often and my tolerance went way down,not to the first few dozen times tolerance ,but I can know get high off 1/4 of what it used to take to "wake me up"...the brain heals itself somehow and someways it seems,but I don't recomend crystal meth or any amphetamine to anyone,as many people end up strung out and in jail for theft to suport their speed habit..or many females I have seen ended up trading sex for meth,and thats every type of female sadly from the former all A student in high school,to the regular druggie in high school girl,although many females do not trade sex for drugs ,sadly I have seen more than a few do so,and a number of males I'm sure have done the same...Stay away from speed!! It will take you down!!

clearly it totally depends on the person. i have ADD but have a naturally high tolerance to amps.. so dosing even two days in a row, i get less than half the effect out of the same dose the second day. i would also end up with psychosis by the end of the week

now i dose sparingly and it works much better, altho i have problems with motivation and priorities, that's something i've struggled with my entire life

i never got much euphoria from amps anyway. never remotely experienced a lovey dovey feeling either.. it's much the opposite - normally i'm a bit emotional, but on amps i'm more neutral or balanced. it allows me to view things more objectively

it's always been a tool for me. tho meth works better, i quit that shit for a while

ps- i think the irritability has a lot to do with fatigue. that's another reason i don't dose everyday anymore

Last edited:
I don't feel much euphoria from amps either. I feel more physiological effect than psychological effect from uppers in general, kinda sucks. I like being "in-tune", but at the same time, I hate the jittery, anxious feelings. And with my thoughts racing, I constantly think about the physiological effects. Maybe I just think about it too much, but I just can't enjoy myself, no matter what distracts me.
I guess I'm perpetually in "the tool stage".

I don't feel much euphoria from amps either. I feel more physiological effect than psychological effect from uppers in general, kinda sucks. I like being "in-tune", but at the same time, I hate the jittery, anxious feelings. And with my thoughts racing, I constantly think about the physiological effects. Maybe I just think about it too much, but I just can't enjoy myself, no matter what distracts me.
I guess I'm perpetually in "the tool stage".

what really sucks is feeling anxious and having a racing mind without any drugs in your system :\

The fine line between amphetamine addiction and the use of amphetamine for ADHD is scary.

A lot of ADHDers require amphetamine/methylphenidate to be able to do tasks such as cleaning, homework, work in general, etc... Like the "tool" phase of amphetamine addiction that you describe.

However, to be able to do these tasks is why ADHDers are prescribed amphetamines in the first place.