• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamine/stimulant tolerance?

simmerman

Bluelighter
Hi im regarding over and over about the tolerance issue when it comes to amphetamines particularly the adhd one's like adderall ritalin dex and so on. Now my question is and upon research. I can say yes you deff experience a marked tolerance very quicky to them. I jumped from 10 mgs and was eventually up to 150mgs of adderall a day after 2 months. Now its happenes to everyone its a known fact.

But what im failing to understand or read. Is why dont people mention the fact about there tolerance building signifigantly to methamphetamine or say cocaine which is a stimulant. I mean give or take they maybe slightly more powerful but overall they act on the same chemicals in your brain. Adderall is basically meth in a pill form with slight variations.

So i have never done meth or coke on a continual abuse able basis but say one person shoots up 1 shot of meth everyday. Or snorts 2 lines everyday. From what i read the high doesnt change to where they need to snorth 4 lines a day or shoot up 2 times a day ect. They still get the same effect from the same amount for the same amount of time. Psychologically there mind is telling them they need more but studies show peak plasma concentration stays the same in rats at the same dose everyday.

So why is it that adderall 100mgs will no longer feel like 100mgs after several months. There cant be that much of a difference in these oral prescription amps. Than the illegal type. So why is there such a marked difference in tolerance im confused. Cause wiki says they act the same way on the same receptors. Just that amps are suppose to last way longer because there half life. So its like give me a break here. Anyway any advice id appreciate sorry for such a long post but im new and this is my first question. Im usually the one to give advice since im a psychology major. So any questions as well ask. Thanks=d

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the title of your thread for easier searching in the future, and the format of your post for easier reading.

I'm also going to shoot this over to OD for you.

I was always under the impression that tolerance for stimulants stacks up in a similar way between all of them. I think the reason that adderal and pharma stims get mentioned so a lot is because they're often prescribed, with people actually using them every day, and so tolerance tends to build up and get noticed a lot more. While a lot of people posting on here about coke, methamp, etc., aren't using them every day.

I'm not sure where OP got the idea that tolerance to meth and cocaine doesn't exist. The above poster is correct - on average, people taking prescription stimulants take them on a daily basis whereas meth and coke users, in general, don't take the drugs on a daily basis for long enough to establish an appreciable tolerance.

I, however, have had long, looooong stints with prescription stimulants - built a tolerance to those. Long, looooong stints with cocaine - built a tolerance to that (both HCl and bicarbonate forms); and, lastly, long, loooooong stints with methamphetamine (both prescription and illicit) - built a tolerance to that, as well. Most articles one reads on the pharmacology of methamphetamine will include information regarding tolerance issues one can encounter with it, too. Pharmaceutical speed is no different than street speed - in this case I am referencing meth in particular - however street meth can be either d-meth or a racemic mixture, whereas what I'm on (dextromethamphetamine, or Desoxyn) is purely d-meth. Regardless, tolerance can be built to methylphenidate, dextromethlyphenidate, amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, methamphetamine, dextromethamphetamine, and cocaine. Unless, that is, the literature I've read has been incorrect and my experiences have all been psychosomatic.

~ vaya

Thanks you just answered my question. You are totally correct. thanks for the advice. I still believe no matter which amp you take. The number one enhancer once someone builds a tolerance is dxm by far because of its ndma binding. but only in moderate doses anything more can send you into cardiac arrest. thanks man