• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Amphetamine psychosis like episode; zero amps involved, opioids/extreme stress/tiredness - not a nod dream

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I need some answers from you guys I trust a lot of you.

Something that has never happened to me happened last night.

I experienced what was very identical to amphetamine psychosis/hallucinations when I haven’t taken amps in a decade.

I’m in my mid 40s. These are the factors that may have contributed:

Extreme stress and a personal breakdown that I can only describe as my lowest rock bottom of my life and death of my “soul and spirit” for lack of more scientific words - this happened though 12 hours prior and I was no longer crying and going through that.

I was opiated on a typical but high dose of methadone. But these were not the nod dreams ppl have on opioids I’ve had that. It was methadone.

I am on the border of a benzo dependency but had just had a strong dose the day prior of a very long lasting one and had zero of the feelings that correspond to benzo wd. I was nodding off to sleep and slightly from the opioids. When I chose to sleep I feel asleep instantly.

The hallucinations:

The exact way you hear voices. Ppl I knew voices from my life and I recognized it was them. It would just be like a quick sentence then I would snap myself out of it and “wake up” more out of the nod or thing .

I was scrolling social media on my cell phone and the stuff I was looking at in pictures it would not morph but I would simply see it as a different object. Like there was a black object forgot what it was on a picture and I saw it as a metallic black rooster statue.

The opioid nod dreams you don’t see stuff with your eyes open, you see a normal dream when you’re eyes are closed. This is the difference.

I have been getting much lack of sleep but I have been sleeping a few hours a night. I actually slept a full nights sleep the night before this. I have an extreme personal stress happening in life with a bad chronic pain flare. I have barley eaten due to the stress but I had just finished a big meal when this happened

I have been having mania like symptoms lately but that is because I quite weed two weeks ago and had been (up until two days prior to this episode) tapering down off 10 mg methadone per day and also abstaining from benzos which I was maybe barley dependent upon. But like I said I had redosed benzos the prior day and had zero of the other benzo WD symptoms such as anxiety panic or inability to sleep.

I’m scared I might be getting schizophrenia. But I’m too old for it to manifest to my understanding (mid 40s).

I only ever experienced something like this once or twice on the tail end of no sleep of some sort of amphetamine binge (mdma or an RC amp). And this was like 15 years ago.

I know methadone has a weak NMDA antagonist but this was a typical medium dose for me and nothing like NMDA antagonism.

When I first started methadone once one time after being totally clean I did get a strobing like effect at a high dose. But this was nothing like that.

What happened to me?

Last edited:
I'm not a pharmacist or doctor. However, it sounds to me like you were/are going through benzo withdrawal. Delerium is a common effect of downregulated GABA receptors from overuse of GABAergics. This has even been observed in something as mild as valerian at least once: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033318220301419
It may well have been hallucinations due to sleep deprivation. How long before the "episode" was your last dose and of which benzo? I'm not a benzo expert, actually hate them, but I know the wd can be hellish and even deadly with seizures and delerium tremens, resembling alcohol wd.
Were you on anything else? Antihistamines, sleep meds, headache meds, psyche meds, anything at all? Lots of things interact with opioids, many factors here including the fact you don't seem to be quite convinced of an actual dependency on benzos.
Edit: last bit sounded rude and didnt mean to. Also, on the nmda antagonism, did you feel detached from yourself? If not you can probably rule that out, but not 100%. Other benzo wd symptoms like anxiety/panic would likely be masked by an opioid like methadone aswell. Hope this helps.

Last edited: