• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamine Neurotoxicity and Tolerance Reduction/Prevention III

Pretty much any form but magnesium oxide will do. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have :)

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any studies that show stimulant induced neurotoxicity specifically related to pharmaceutical amphetamines such as Dexedrine or Adderall?

Thanks,

OC9

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any studies that show stimulant induced neurotoxicity specifically related to pharmaceutical amphetamines such as Dexedrine or Adderall?

Thanks,

OC9

Ricaurte et al. 2005 is pretty much the best study we have. Human doses of an Adderall like mixture in two of the closest animals we can get to human.
http://pharmacology.ucsd.edu/graduate/courseinfo/documents/ricaurteadhd.pdf

It doesn't show reduction in cells however it reports a large reduction in DA markers, so functionally it decreases DA system activity at least temporary.

Ricaurte et al. 2005 is pretty much the best study we have. Human doses of an Adderall like mixture in two of the closest animals we can get to human.

It doesn't show reduction in cells however it reports a large reduction in DA markers, so functionally it decreases DA system activity at least temporary.

Thanks for that study, I'm going to show this to my doctor next time I see him since he was unaware of studies like this.

I thought in our doses it is more down regulation of DA than elimination of DA?

I thought in our doses it is more down regulation of DA than elimination of DA?

Monoamine reduction is a marker of toxicity however long term human effiacy makes me doubtfull we deplete da levels, but it can be temporary as seen with 4FA and sero and replenished during nighttime.

I will concur that learning about and using che magnesium daily has helped tons beyond any drug use benefits

I have a similar dislike for the substance from a risk and health related perspective. It destroyed me in about 8 months of weekend only use resulting in 8 years of crippling anxiety and related issues. Comparatively more frequent cocaine use across 6 years did not result in anything near even 1% of the same level of impact. Even weekly multi day meth binges for a longer period had no negative impact at all when compared.

Serotonin drugs scare me, I wont touch that shit again. Meth gets the reputation as being the devil incarnate while the actual bad guy escapes any real blame disguised as as relatively harmless hippie love drug for fun in the clubs. I guess its easier demonizing meth users with bad teeth then bothering with tracing the emotional wrecks and ruined lives MDMA can leave behind. Sounds like a cover up to me but that is just the meth paranoia speaking. Im sure good old E is perfectly safe.

Out of intrest, did you only use mdma or were you a polydruguser?

Is a 1g MDMA binge really that bad? Isn't all the serotonin pretty fast depleted either?

Pretty average around here for tolerant users, that said it could cause damage but thats still up for debate (except mild cognitive decline wheter or not someone has protective genes and damage without much noticeble effects.

Last edited:
Would taking NAC work as an anti-oxidant?
I took too much today and felt shitty Im fine now but Id like to lower the after effects for tomorrow

If you ask me only melatonin will work for certain as antioxidants including glutathione can turn pro oxidant and its anyone's gues wheter it goes bad boy on ya, i personally avoid messing around with things just because they are anti oxidant, i just use the term to sell scam products, as its a most wanted thing for the health boys.

High dose l lysine depletes nitric oxide and prob works for toxiticy.

Last edited:
Have been using ALCAR combined ALA (acetyl carnitine and alpha lipoic acid for anyone not sure), and those alone I find help with the after effects on amps whether in withdrawal or on the crash.

I read a study where ALCAR prevented meth induced neurotoxicity and ALA completely blocked neurotixicty of MDMA both oxidiative stress induced aswell as the effect MDMA has on tryptphan hydroxylase and 5HT depletion, will try and find them.

I think ALA could be very useful for amphetamine neurotoxicity prevention.

Have combined amphetamine with ALCAR/ALA and must say it has made the amphetamine much more prominent, I have only taken 5mg of d-amp and am feeling what I would typically feel off of a much higher dose, excellent nootropic stack I'd say, mental clairty it great.

Deffintly think it would benefeit others to try this combo out!

I'm assuming amphetamine generates neurogenesis in the hippocampus? A professional I talked to confirmed this, but what do others have to say? Apparently it also has a large variety of interactions with the mu and delta (indicated in treating depression) opiate pathways. Anyways sorz for deviating. Well anyways it therefore might be good for the brain in some ways.

I'm assuming amphetamine generates neurogenesis in the hippocampus? A professional I talked to confirmed this, but what do others have to say? Apparently it also has a large variety of interactions with the mu and delta (indicated in treating depression) opiate pathways. Anyways sorz for deviating. Well anyways it therefore might be good for the brain in some ways.

This study of chronic administration in mice seems to say so.

Results suggest both therapeutic and abuse doses of d-amphetamine increase the number of new neurons in the hippocampus when administered from adolescence to adulthood by increasing survival and differentiation of cells into neurons not by increasing progenitor cell proliferation. Mechanisms for amphetamine-induced neurogenesis are unknown but appear activity independent. Results suggest part of the beneficial effects of therapeutic doses of d-amphetamine for ADHD could be via increased hippocampal neurogenesis.

I wonder if this is a result of improved attention and focus aiding in memory formation, or some unrelated mechanism.

Interested in amphetamines impact on neurogenesis...

Have always been under the impression it reduces it though

Coke is such a weak acid that NaHCO3 (ie, bicarbonate) is sufficient to free base it, whereas amphet is such a strong acid that not much less than NaOH will free base it. This is probably why there aren't too many examples of sublingual amphet doing the rounds.
I am pretty inspired from doing experiments with it
but I wouldn't recommend to strangers that they could gain insight from an exothermic reaction happening in the mouth that depending on how done will be how hot or how the effected membrane tissue is, which happened at a surprising rate with benumbed tissue in impressively localized yet also true to the path of nerve.
this is what im reading:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539319/

but I wouldn't recommend to strangers that they could gain insight from an exothermic reaction happening in the mouth that depending on how done will be how hot or how the effected membrane tissue is, which happened at a surprising rate with benumbed tissue in impressively localized yet also true to the path of nerve.

this sentence does not parse

given that most neuroprotectants investigated here are non-peptide small molecule drugs, i am unsure how useful that paper is.