• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetamine/methylphenidate cross-tolerance and methylphenidate starting dose

DementiaSavantPlus

Bluelighter
To preface, I have used the search engine and have found mixed results regarding this topic. For this reason, and also to place my specific experience into the equation, I have decided to make a post. (Moderators: feel free to move this to Other Drugs if you think it may yield better results there.)

I have been taking Adderall for about a year now (after a three year abstinence) at recreational doses. My original exposure to the drug lasted about a year and I got up to 80 mg daily. Currently, after my three-year break, an increasing tolerance has brought me to a 120 mg dose once or twice per week. I am fully aware that this is quite high, and am taking an extended break.

It has been a week and a half since I took such a dose of Adderall. My recent acquisition of twenty 10 mg Ritalin IR tablets has left me wondering: what would be a good Ritalin dose to start on given my rather large amphetamine tolerance? My web searching has brought me to the conclusion that there is some cross-tolerance with Adderall and Ritalin. I do not seek the euphoric/aphrodisiac effects that I chased causing me to reach such a high Adderall dose, because I believe these effects do not exist with Ritalin. (I was prescribed dexmethylphenidate about three years ago as well so I have some familiarity with this class of drugs.) With Ritalin, I seek more focus and motivation that the medication will provide for 2-4 hours.

Any help is much appreciated.