• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants (amphetamine) how much water is dangerous?

d1nach

Bluelighter
I take adderall xr 55 mg everyday. Im not sure how this impacts my thirst because ive taken everyday for years (i think).

Anyway i looked up polydipsia and the only number i could find was 6 liters of water or more.

I roughly drink 6 liters (1.5) gallons of water everyday including everything coffee ect.

But also i found they verify it by blood work so i dont know how accurate this number is.

Also im like 250 pounds and the average american according to first google search is 177. So wouldnt i need more water anyway?

I really dont want to decrease my fluids because then i feel thirsty.

Anyway any input, experiences, ect would be helpful thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest issue with drinking too much water is Hyponatremia as the water flushes all of the salt out of your body. Another issue is how fast you drink the water, Large amounts in a short period is far more problematic than consuming the same amount over a longer period that your kidneys can handle. Here's a few facts about it:

"Your kidneys can eliminate about 5.3-7.4 gallons (20-28 liters) of water a day, but they can't get rid of more than 27-33 ounces (0.8-1.0 liters) per hour (14, 15).

Therefore, in order to avoid hyponatremia symptoms, you should not drink more than 27-33 ounces (0.8-1.0 liters) of water per hour, on average (14).

Many reported cases of water intoxication result from drinking large amounts of water in a short period of time.

For example, one report describes soldiers who developed symptoms after consuming half a gallon of water (1.8 liters or more) per hour (4).

Another report shows the development of hyponatremia with water intake of 2.5-5.6 gallons, or 10-20 liters, in just a few hours (5).

A case of water intoxication and prolonged hyponatremia also occurred in a healthy, 22-year-old male prisoner after he drank 1.5 gallons (6 liters) of water in 3 hours (1).

Finally, a 9-year old girl who drank almost a gallon (a total of 3.6 liters) of water in 1-2 hours developed water intoxication (14).

Bottom line: The kidneys are capable of excreting up to 7 gallons (28 liters) of fluid per day. However, they cannot excrete more than 1 liter per hour. Therefore, drinking more than this is not a good idea." source

1.5 gallons seems excessive unless you are very physically active but its not like itll kill you. Why not just cut back? Unless youre addicted to water lol

Yeah salts are the issue (and the potential harm of rapidly changing concentrations in the blood). 6L is fine for most people, as long as it's not all consumed at once (ie spread it out as much as possible). I'll often drink up to 8L or more, 12-14L on some days for certain reasons. But 4L is more like my typical intake.

The kidneys will self regulate the rate at which they produce urine based upon how much one drinks.
This takes a few days to adjust, so if one drinks a lot and suddenly decreases water intake, there will be some dehydration before the adjustment is complete.
This will generally be not dangerous, but it can certainly be unpleasant.

Well most of my water comes from whole milk (32 oz) because i dont really like eating in the morning. And 64 oz is from coffee. So 96 oz is from water. 16 ounces is during the morning 16 ounces is around lunch and 64 ounces is between dinner and sleep.

Anyway thanks for all the input guys

I also have autism i read something about autism and compulsive water drinking.

I also run three miles everyday until i am drenched in sweat.

But ya every response was very useful