• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amitriptyline and Cannabis?

JakeyWoo

Greenlighter
Hiya guys! This is my first post on bluelight so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or whatever.

My friend has found an abundance of amitriptyline and I've heard of some middle aged friends who often use it in conjunction with other substances. Naturally this sparked some interest and I have attempted to do some research but failed to obtain much information other than "don't take 225mg first time" and "combining these should have no impact". The first point fairly obvious and I have doubts about the latter.

Basically what I'm asking is what potential does amitriptyline have for recreational purposes if used with cannabis? What would be a good starting dose, good recreational dose and dangerous dose? What can I expect from this combination? Would a small dose of codeine, dihydrocodeine and/or diazepam compliment the mix? (Multiple CNS depressants... Tut tut, I know!)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice :)

First of all, weed is generally physically safe with most drugs.

Amitryptiline is used for a variety of purposes, but its mechanism betrays it as a combination anti-psychotic and antidepressant; check out wikipedia. Most people who find these substances at all recreational have legitimate mental illnesses. Start with the smallest dose possible just to feel out how it works for you if you're going to use it, even if it is "safe".

Don't mix CNS depressants if you can. We can't tell you just how much is safe. Just start small. A very small amount of the aforementioned four together is unlikely to cause significant respiratory depression, but who knows. You're playing with fire. Peace.

Thanks for the info :)

I have every intention of starting slow but I don't really know what would be a sensible starting dose. Prescribed doses seem to range from 10-75mg. Might start with 50mg or so and just take it as it comes.

If anyone has any experience with this drug their personal accounts would be most helpful!

I was prescribed amitriptyline a while back but never took it as directed. The few times I did take it(25mg) it just knocked me out and then I woke up like twelve hours later feeling very groggy. I didn't care for the effects(very minor dissociative and or dilerient like effects), this was also back when I was smoking high grade bud 24/7 and the amitriptyline didn't really seem to change the high from the cannabis at all either. From the research I did when I was originally prescribed it I found many people didn't care for it and most people claimed there was little to no recreational value from it, though there were a few instances of people that seemed to like it as a minor psychedelic. If you want to try I'd suggest starting at the 25-50mg dose range but if you have dihydrocodeine and diazepam imo either of those offers a much better high than amitriptyline ever could but that's just me. If you do end up trying it let us know how it turns out for you. As always good luck and be safe.

Hiya guys! This is my first post on bluelight so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or whatever.

My friend has found an abundance of amitriptyline and I've heard of some middle aged friends who often use it in conjunction with other substances. Naturally this sparked some interest and I have attempted to do some research but failed to obtain much information other than "don't take 225mg first time" and "combining these should have no impact". The first point fairly obvious and I have doubts about the latter.

Basically what I'm asking is what potential does amitriptyline have for recreational purposes if used with cannabis? What would be a good starting dose, good recreational dose and dangerous dose? What can I expect from this combination? Would a small dose of codeine, dihydrocodeine and/or diazepam compliment the mix? (Multiple CNS depressants... Tut tut, I know!)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice :)

Do not smoke on top of Amitriptyline/elavil. It makes you feel dizzy, disoriented, makes you really dehydrated, and just gives you a general sense of confusion. I also felt very cold, had very bad images in my brain, and feel like I'm laying on a cold hard surface. I could also make up sounds in my head, be it my heart exploding or scratchy noises. I was prescribed 25mgs of amitriptyline that I take every day at that dosage. And it can happen with a hit or two of normal weed. I stopped smoking until I'm off of it.