• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Amitrip' for Klonopin withdrawal?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
I am struggling like crazy trying to come off Klonopin. Been prescribed it for 9 years and started my taper from 1mg about 2 years ago. I am down to the last micro dose....But I cant seem to come off it. My Dr has said that he is willing to prescribe me Amitriptiline to ease withdrawals, would this help?
I am also on Citalopram (Celexa) 40mg a day and been on this for about 18 years, and Diazepam (Valium) 10mg a day, been on this for 18 years. All of these were originally prescribed for anxiety/agoraphobia.

Any help would be great as I am really stuck.

Thanks.

If you have never taken amitriptiline it makes you kinda sedated but in my experience, it takes a long time to kick in ~ 2-3 hours in my case. It should help some bit as I take them when I run out of xanax but everyone is different. Worth a shot though if you want to get off the benzos

It seems odd to me that you're experiencing withdrawals while you're still on diazepam. Or am I reading something wrong? Anyway, yes it will help with the insomnia associated with benzo wds but like has already been said, it does take a while to kick in. But once you're asleep, you stay asleep.

You started tapering 2 years ago from 1 mg of klonopin per day? What is your current dose of klonopin? You should be able to jump about now and just use your valium, but it wouldn't hurt to use amitriptyline to help you get calm and fall asleep.
Is there something specific that the klonopin does that valium doesn't? You should be down to microscopic amounts of klonopin after your taper so I'm trying to figure out why you can't go ahead and jump off klonopin.

I take it also and was cut from 2.5 mgs a day to 1.5 mgs a day overnight. A year later he let me have 2 mgs a day again but I still use 1.5 mgs on most days. I am curious to see if it takes long lengths of time to get off of it.

Amitryptiline is a tricyclic antidepressant.

Tricyclics essentially combine the effects of an SNRI-type antidepressant with those of a mild second-generation antipsychotic (i.e. blocking a whole bunch of receptors, primarily the H1 histamine and 5HT2A serotonin receptor subtypes).

As a result, these drugs have been shown to be highly effective in people suffering from depression, anxiety and insomnia.
However, some patients find them a bit too sedating (note: keep in mind that tolerance to antihistamine-based sedation builds rapidly, so give them atleast two weeks or so before you give up on them if they're making you too tired).

Thanks greatly for the replies.
For some really strange reason.....I am now scared of even trying another medicine. I am full of 'What ifs' .... What if adding another drug will make me more anxious? I have had some bad experiences with tablets. I think it stems back many years when I took a tablet and was rushed to the emergency room, was clinically dead for 12 seconds. My anxiety started not long after this event.
I have a strange reaction to valium, called a paradoxical effect. If I take more it makes me more anxious.
Klonopin worked really well, but I built up a tolerance and then started getting rebound anxiety, thus my taper.
Bit scared of taking another tablet.....But this withdrawal is just terrible.
I tried Amitrip' many years ago and it worked well. Once I was on a high dose of Valium I tried it again and I became aggressive, not so good as I am a big guy at 230lbs, 6ft, ex bodybuilder and martial arts. I am wondering if it made me aggressive due to the high dose of Valium as it didnt have that effect when I was on a low dose of Valium? Really dont know what to do?
Thanks again for any help.

We need help. How much klonopin are you currently taking? The biggest question in my mind and possibly others is why, after 2 years, you haven't been able to completely taper from a dose of 1mg a day?

Tapering is different for everyone, but after 2 years your dose should be so small you can barely see it. Is there something stopping you from finishing your taper?

You should never be scared to try medications that help with withdrawal. Gabapentin or Lyrica would probably work well. You currently take medicine so don't run from something that could help, including amitriptyline.