• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ambien works wonders on anxiety

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
I know alot of ppl get rest from taking this medication but I notice that it's hypnotic effects spill over into my anxiety and inturn relieves me of my anxiety. I googled it and there are many cases of ppl benifiting from ambien for anxiety. So is it just me or does anybody else feel the same way?

For me it increases anxiety after the effects wear off.

Acute social anxiety sufferer here.. tried like 5 different doctors to give me a benzo because SSRIs and SNRIs weren't working at all, and after reading the wikipedia page for this drug, it seems like a benzo-lite, I don't know why they didn't put me on it for a few weeks to try it even after I told them I will self-medicate if they can't help me.

Ambien is a great way to unintentionally black out, even if you think you are falling asleep. I have to say that is does nothing but cause anxiety. Not to mention the actual feeling of the drug made me uncomfortable

How did that go?

I'll let you know in 1+ week when I start university, living on campus. My weapons are benzos and methylone and i'm hoping that I can adjust my behaviour and "fix" myself using these therapeutically so I don't need them forever. That's basically what a doctor would do anyway with a course of benzos for example.

^be careful, i went head on into a huge benzo addiction with those very thoughts in mind.

i still haven't tried ambien but i notice zopiclone really kills my anxiety and relaxes my muscles. Z-drugs should be less effective than most benzos as they aren't hitting the part of the receptor typically associated with anxiety relief. Nevertheless it seems to work quite well.

^ this as well i totally thought that i could just use benzos for like a month or two and just get over my anxiety now almost 10 years later i'm hooked and have been the whole time

Well robo. If your going to take ambien you have done so many drugs I think that it's not really euphoric it's more just relax. I hear ppl trippen on this stuff, na not me.

taking ambien during the day like you would a benzo is all around a bad idea. it builds tolerance way too fast to be used often. then theres the risk of blacking out and memory problems. just stick with benzons, at least they're predictable and actually work when used responsibly

Sorry fellas but I'm bumping this thread!

I too have been prescribed clonazepam 4mg/day since 2004 and have found that of all the benzos I've tried so far, and I've tried 90% of the pharmaceutical benzos short of flunitrazepam, flurazepam, triazolam & lormetazepam). I have found that after a certain period, a couple years (3-5yrs) even taking 2x the prescribed dose of Klonopin (8mg/day) isn't as effective as even 1/4-1/2 that dose in the beginning. When I started my treatment, 0.5mg 2x day (along a normal methadone dose) would make nod so bad that I'd leave burn holes in my clothes/pants/boxers from a cigarette I'd be enjoying and then awaken shortly from either a burn on my skin, the cigarette falling on my shirt or on the carpet & smelling fire - honestly though that was the only way to wake up! Sometimes I wonder if this wasn't as a teenager living with my parents, that would come check in on me every now & then, the cigarettes that left carpet burns and blisters between the fingers from holding the cigarette's tip too close while being completely numb. I digress....

Once tolerance sets in and I'm talking about the tolerance that comes with years not with months or weeks, you will find your prescribed benzodiazepine loosing its magic. Where once 1mg was enough to take all cares away and not make you think of anything else, take your nerves away so you don't bite a poor person's head off, relax you enough to be able to calm yourself....I think we all know very well the undisputed medicinal value of the benzodiazepines. As I mentioned taking a 2x or 3x dose will not bring the magic back. One aspect, the sedative/respiratory depression is the one quality that develops tolerance the least, essentially making clonidine or any sedating anti histamine provide me with the same effects as the Klonopin relief, which is 90% from the respiratory depression and maybe 10% of the original effects.

If possible try to switch to an equivalent dose of a benzodiazepine of your choice. For me the most medicinal benzodiazepines have been: alprazolam, midazolam (snorted and oral), etizolam - any of these 3 benzos will almost immediately cause the most effective relief from the most stressful situations.

I have a crazy anger problems that is going to destroy me and everyone I love. Even when my best friend was killed at 19yrs I wasn't as out of control. I am very, very scared! I cannot control my emotions!!

I cannot leave the house because I am afraid of snapping at EVERY single person and risk not being allowed on public busses, risk having the police intervene, risking getting a real nigger fucking me up as I will snap on everyone, for example snap on someone for drinking a beer through the paper bag how they are shit and alcoholics, or YELLING at the top of my lungs (to instigate a fight) NxxxER, YOUR A FUCKING NIxxER, MOTHERFUCKER, PIECE OF SHIT to an (innocent) black man walking by. Once my when my breakdowns are over, I notice my legs become noodle like. I can barely feel my legs, my heart rate is extremely high & agitated to the point where I am in shock. The noodle leg feeling extends to the body too, in the chest up & down, just want to scream as loud as you can to wear out yourself to the point you can no longer speak due to having lost your voice and you don't bother speaking, drained of energy!

I really do hope that 5mg-10mg zolpidem will provide anxiety relief as they are cross tolerant with the benzodiazepines, and a hypnotic meaning that if its strong enough to make you go to sleep almost instantly, then it must be strong enough to be used as an anxiolytic.

I don't have a choice otherwise I am risking everything including my freedom so I will go ahead one day and try this, then report back and let you guys & girls know.

p.s. I really hate Zopiclone, brande name Imovane, which to me feels exactly like Zolpidem aka Ambien but without the aftertaste and less visual disturbances though when your tolerance is really high (would go through 0.5g phenazepam every 4-5 months and 1g etizolam every 3-4 months.

Ambien is a great way to unintentionally black out, even if you think you are falling asleep. I have to say that is does nothing but cause anxiety. Not to mention the actual feeling of the drug made me uncomfortable
Fucking blackout city. I would eat them at the bar and drink,lol. They never caused me anxiety, but I was always on a benzodiazepine at the same time. From my personal experience, they are just too short acting to use for anxiety, at least in my case. If they work for you, great, but personally that's not their job, and there are better choices out there, IMO.

Ambient is the shiiiiiit. I've never, ever felt tired on it. It feels kinda like xanax to me, maybe like xanax lite lol.

I usually snort them but I have I.v.ed them before. I love ambien. I also have never blacked out on it, despite taking quite a bit.

That being said, I'm a phene for xanax sooooo yeah. :}

I enjoy Ambien. Didn't really at first but I've grown to like it. I've never taken more than 20 mgs at a time, though...most of the time I take between 5-10 mgs. Its GABA-A properties are the highlight for me...my insomnia is largely anxiety-driven and Ambien stops my "racing mind" for a while so I can conk out...

Ultimately I would like to stop taking it regularly, though, as I've been prescribed it (10 mgs nightly) for over a year and I don't think it's a good drug to take for sustained periods of time...I'd rather smoke a nice high-grade strain of cannabis indica, honestly.

I love ambien, never used for my anxiety though. Seems like it could work well aside from the chronic addiction potential it may have. Been awhile since I had any though.

I hate Ambien. It's lousy as a sleeping pill, but great if you want to black out and wake up remembering nothing of the last 4 hours before you took the Ambien.

I quit taking Ambien after blacking out on it one night (at the dose prescribed, no less) and waking up in my German Shepherd's wire crate.

Actually, the dog woke me up, either because he thought I was dead, or because he wanted his bedroom back so he could go to sleep.

I have no idea HOWI managed to fit myself into the crate as I am not a small woman, but based on the scrapes on my lower legs and forearms, it took some doing.

Getting back out from the crate also took some serious doing and loss of more skin.

Love zolpidem, but if I take more than 20mg at once, I'll end up swallowing the entire remainder of my script, and chances are I'll do something regrettable while I'm blacked out.

I USED to be able to control myself with it..take 10-20mg, smoke a little weed, laugh at some cartoons, then pass out.

It has never made me fall all asleep, and very short acting.

I've had great sleep finally with a 10-20mg dose with a 50mg of seroquil....whatever the spelling. I find a 10mg dose relaxes me then another after a few hrs with 1 50mg of quill to put me down. I sleep like a baby for 8-9 hrs. If you have sleep and anxiety issues this combo is the bombdigity. For me anyway. Be safe though. More than 20mg of Amb starts to be ineffective. Just my personal experience. I'm a combat vet and I'm approaching 50, so I've always struggled sleeping. Just be safe. : )