• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ambien tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've kept at .5 - 1mg Xanax a night for almost 10 years. So I'm an anomaly based on most other people's experiences.
I'm also sensitive to most benzos, 0.5mg alprazolam has me on my ass. I know someone who is even more so sensitive to alprazolam specifically, even 0.25mg gets them passed the fuck out like none other.

---> Back to the sleep issue, I have had great results with Melatonin, even when taken in combo with my nighttime Xanax dose. When I take Melatonin, I get a deeper sleep with better REM and wake up more refreshed.

If you had good results with melatonin I might try it. Knowing that cannabis and LSD increase endogenous melatonin, I might not need to though. ;)

Is Xanax more effective for sleep than Clonazepam?

Yes, a lot more so. At least for me.

No idea about zolpidem (Ambien) cos I rarely use it but Z-drugs in general definitely produce a very rapid tolerance, in my experience.

So why are Z drugs being pushed on patients so hard?

I'd rather have a much more effective benzo.

Le Cap de H said:
So why are Z drugs being pushed on patients so hard?

I'd rather have a much more effective benzo.

Cos those benzos are indeed far more effective... and also far more abusable and often far too old to still be profitable compared to the newer Z-kidz on the block.

My opinion on Zolpidem is IT works the first 3 or 5 nights.. I am taking it right now for sleep.. I really want to snort it.

Take it on a empty stomach and actually lay down and try to sleep

Zopiclone, zolpidem et al. Sonata, Imovane, Lunesta and Ambien basically.

Z-Drugs according to wiki

Oh ok, thank you. Of course I'm still new here...

Cos those benzos are indeed far more effective... and also far more abusable and often far too old to still be profitable compared to the newer Z-kidz on the block.

Benzos far more effective for sleep? I disagree.

I took Lunesta for 1 year, Ambien for a year and a half, then my doc tried me on Halcion (which is a benzo right?) to get away from these Z-drugs. It felt great. I wanted to curl in a comfy ball and stare at the curvature of my walls, but getting to sleep? Not a chance.

Lunesta = terrible terrible awful Satan taste if you did so much as take a drink of water
Halcion = fun trance, and great for amphetamine hangovers, but no happy sleep trails

Ambien = changed my life, and I just take 10mg per night, which really isn't much for my size and tolerance. Just enough to do the trick. After 24 years of insomnia, my problems were solved when I got this script.

While that's all probably true, I have been told Ambien is just as abuseable. Some people claim psychedelic effects from Ambien.

How do you mean benzos are far more abusable? Is the Z class less euphoric, or is it just a different kind of experience?

I haven't tried the Z class (I wouldn't even if you paid me to).

Benzos far more effective for sleep? I disagree.

You're saying halcion is the only benzo you tried?

Pardon my french but there are *much* better benzos than Halcion for insomnia.

Dalmane (flurazepam), Dormicum (midazolam), Restoril (temazepam)

All these 3 medications are much, much more efficient than Halcion is for sleep. Halcion is too short lasting for someone like me.

Halcion (triazolam) is in the same class of benzos as Xanax (alprazolam) is. Triazolam and alprazolam are OK for a brief benzo high, but aren't that great for insomnia IMO.

Major K said:
How do you mean benzos are far more abusable? Is the Z class less euphoric, or is it just a different kind of experience?

Z-drugz pretty much just knock you out (for the short period they are effective in many cases) with little euphoria abuse potential, in my experience. Yes there are those few folks who like to IV (or even snort) Ambien and do the delirious thing but they are relatively few in number compared to the tens of thousands who like to play with benzos. Z-drugz pretty much do what they're supposed to (send you sleepy byes) and they do it well, but that's all they do for the most part... and they don't do it for long for most people I know of.

They're great for short-term insomnia if you really need to sleep but no use long term and with little scope for recreational funtime on the side, in my opinion. I only use them if I really need to sleep and don't want to waste benzos that have a wider application (comedowns, anxiety/panic attacks, frollicking etc). They also leave you with the most godawful metallic taste in your mouth that just won't go. Try drinking milk whilst on a Z-drug if you want to find out just how much it's possible to hate your own tastebuds :D

^ the metalic taste is only with zopiclone and eszopiclone.
I've been taking ambien (zolpidem) for about 3-4 months now nightly and i still feel that it's working. But it's kinda hard to tell cuz i also take 25mg zyprexa (olanzapine) and 100mg amitriptyline with it at bed time.

Edit: And i take valium throughout the day so i donno if the 10mg ambien even touches my tolerance, if there's even a cross tolerance between z drugs and benzos.

I'll take your more experienced word for it on the metallic taste cos I don't have a great deal of experience with Z-drugz cos I don't really like them and have only used zopiclone an zolpidem (from memory) from time to time. That same memory mostly recalls nasty metallic taste and feeling like a zombie the next day which is why I only use them in "emergencies" really. They certainly do seem to be very effective for some though.

They also leave you with the most godawful metallic taste in your mouth that just won't go. Try drinking milk whilst on a Z-drug if you want to find out just how much it's possible to hate your own tastebuds :D

EWW WTF? It would be so much easier just to take temazepam without leaving a nasty taste of your mouth. I love milk too much to leave a metallic taste in my mouth.

That's precisely what I do - temazis ftw <3

But Z-drugz do have their place if you only use them when a KO dose of benzos would be stupidly high (residual stimulation that just won't shift from stim sessions when benzos only take the edge off generally for me). That's just me though and there are people who prefer them to benzos for insomnia. Diff'rent strokes and all that :)

That's precisely what I do - temazis ftw <3

But Z-drugz do have their place if you only use them when a KO dose of benzos would be stupidly high (residual stimulation that just won't shift from stim sessions when benzos only take the edge off generally for me). That's just me though and there are people who prefer them to benzos for insomnia. Diff'rent strokes and all that :)

Definitely. That makes a lot of sense.

Lol I love the discussion my thread led to.

I take melatonin once in a while but it won't always help me fall asleep, so I have the ambien in case it's one of those nights. I decided not to touch ambien for a few weeks and hopefully my tolerance will go back down.

Xanax is much better imo and puts me to sleep even faster, but I try to not take it often at all because it can be so addictive and I want to keep my tolerance low as well. I still really feel a .5 mg because I always try to go weeks without it and that really helps.

i have been perscribed ambien for the past two years, for my insomnia.
though the very first time i took it i did experience psychaledic like side effects such as seeing colors, feeling drunk and high, happy for no reason, and off balance, i no longer feel those when taking my ambien.

i have used it for both recreational purposes and just for my insomnia.
recreationally i prefer to snort it, even though it burns badly.
it hits you much faster, and doesnt make feel as drowsy but still allows me to sleep when i choose too.

i have found that my tolerance quickly increases and am currently
trying to not take my ambien in hopes it will lower my tolerance.
i take one 10 mg zolpidem by mouth for insomnia.
snort 2-2.5 10 mg pills for recreational use.

im wondering if anyone knows how long i will have to stay off my
ambien in order for my tolerance to go down, im guessing atleast a week.
so far it has been five days.

please let me know. [:

I have been taking ambien for about a year. Tolerance doesn't go down even after a few weeks break. But it still helps me go to sleep even when I don't feel it.

I have been taking ambien for about a year. Tolerance doesn't go down even after a few weeks break. But it still helps me go to sleep even when I don't feel it.
Tolerance DOES go down, btw everyone. I know this is an old thread, but thought id put some accurate info. If you hold off on your daily dose of ambien for more then a week, you will notice a difference (both recreationally and therapeuticly)sp? . Of course, a month break would be more beneficial, but it is hard to quit for that long if youre reliant on it. I usually just double dose on my lyrica (which can fight off, if not conpletely get rid of w/d symptoms), and take a few good shots. Alcohol is not cross tolerant with ambien as they effect different gaba receptors. The alcohol will get rid of the rest of the w/d. I also find my ativan helpful, altho most people mock it as the "weak benzo" which is inaccurate, but okay. Altho, any benzo is cross tolerant witj ambien and will affect your tolerance to ambien. know this isnt good advice and its morally reprehensable from a medical point of view, BUT IT DOES WORK. Also, for everyone who doesnt know this, ambien can be a pretty potent hallucinagenic in large doses ~30mg+ if you have a tolerance, and ~10mg+ if you dont. Also, ive tried every benzo on gods green earth and theyre some of the LEAST euphoric drugs that people routinely abuse. Ambien has more euphoria, and thats not saying much(its fun effects are mainly auditory and visual distortions, and just a calm peaceful feeling. Much like a low dose of lsd more or less). If people think xanax is euphoric... Jeeze. A good dose of cocaine (not my prefered, too jittery, but most people love it, im just not most people), or a good line/shot of dope or oxy would make their penis fly off. Dont get me wrong, im all for drugs, i thinj they should all be legal, but i also get aggravated when people say marijuana is euphoric (it undoubtedly is, of course, but likening it to the really euphoric drugs, which some people (,including my girl -_- ) do is putting it on a pedastal. But i think a lot overglorify it now that legalization, of just weed sadly, may well be on the horizon. Its the new cureall. Hmm.. What did people say was a cureall when it first came out.. Hmm. Let me see.. Oh thats right! Heroin. And they said it was perfectly safe and non addictive. People even gave it to their babies. And we all saw how well that turned out, altho doesnt justify illegalizing it.

I think most people would notice the difference from a week or two break from ambien if they were using in large doses to trip. If youre just using it to sleep, you wont notice the tolerance difference. Oh, and everyrhing ive said is based on both experience, and background in the medical field (nursing atm, in school currently to complete my m.d., but i do drugs all the time. Go figure. Im also a certified drug and alcohol counselor. Ironic)

I was refering to the sleep-aiding benzos when i said that benzos are cross tolerant witj ambien. Others had mentioned temazepam. Other benzos such as ativan, clonazepam, alprozelam, the ones more for their anxiolytic effects are NOT cross tolerant with ambien. Whereas temazepam, flurazepam, midozelam, ARE PARTIALLY cross tolerant with ambien.

Status
Not open for further replies.