• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ambien problem (if you wanna call it that)

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
So... I have a prescription to Ambien. It works amazingly for my insomnia and I don't want to head down a slippery slope with this but just once I want to see why people love it so much.

The problem is, I can never get those effects from it. At 2.5 to 7.5mg it just does nothing but lets me fall asleep exactly when I want to. From 10 to 12.5 it puts me to sleep the moment it kicks in whether in a chair or getting ready for bed. And from 15 to 20 I have no idea if it works cause I'll wake up with no recollection of the night whatsoever.

I've taking the pills normally, sublingual, and crunching them and swallowing the powder but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Once I took 17.5 with a can of energy drink and it's like the ambien had no effect, I didn't get tired, didn't see anything, and remembered everything I did which was all normal.

Is there any way to get the recreational effects but know it's happening? I just want to experience it once so I can stop this quest and go back to using it how I'm supossed to.

And I guess we'll see if this post makes sense in the morning cause today was the day I crunched 10mg. I actually really like the taste of ambien powder.

On the bright side Ambien exercise might just be a new discovery. Heavy exercise without remembering it in the morning. I should copyright this.

Still awake and still nothing. Almost fell backwards head first onto the corner of a porcelain tub but not what I'm assuming is the fun part everyone loves so much.

Ive been on ambien for a couple of years no. I DO NOT recommend taking it during the day- the only times i have ever taken it during the day was when i had terrible anxiety and i didnt have any benzos to take. if you are wanting to kinda have an ambien trip, i would not take it for a few days or even a week or two and then take two 10 mg. the only way to have the little trip is to stay awake on it and fight the urge to pass out. and i dont understand why you arent realizing that you are fucked up...? and ambien does cause you not to remember barely ANYTHING. i have noticed that whenever i am smoking a little ganj that ambiens effects arent as stong.

Unsure how long you've been taking it, but ime tolerance to the more enjoyable side effects grows very rapidly.
Like you, I recall experimenting with my prescription, slowly titrating dose up- too slowly, after four days of gradual increase I could barely obtain hypnotic effects.
Try taking a break! Wait a week and give it a try (I found intra nasal to be an effective RoA, but I would double check bioavailability before trying it, ymmv)

THAT BEING SAID
Be careful... the third time I used it recreationally while visiting family, I came to with all four of them worriedly gathered around me w/ my mother phoning the ER because I was gibbering and obviously delusional. Went back to sleep, woke up after 10 hours, didn't recall *any* of it.
At recreational doses you will almost definitely suffer some degree of retro/anterograde amnesia; shit, you could have already been high on 15-20mg and simply not recall it. At all.
Spooky

AMBIEN/ZOLPIDEM IS A HELL OF A DRUG

I've had the prescription for like a year now but generally take week long breaks between doses. Tends to work for the whole week when I do that as far as fixing my sleep schedule goes. Maybe sometimes I'll take 2.5mg (1/4 of my 10mg pills) if I'm still not asleep and it's like 3 in the morning and I have work the next day.

But i I haven't taken it during the day yet. Have definitely had the urge to but I have klonopin to take for my day time anxiety. But i have insomnia so I wake up at like 1pm and consider the 12-4am hours part of my day time anyways. I don't get tired normally but once asleep I'm REALLY asleep.

If anything, from what I remember of my nights, ambien hasn't ever made me see stuff or feel presences but it gives me the most blissful and calm hour (or maybe more that i never remember) ever just before falling asleep. I want to get the delusional sleepwalking that nohandsjoe mentioned though sometime and be able to remember it.

Over the last 15 years of using Ambien in a similar fashion as yourself T.S.T. it has been mostly unremarkable even with opiates and the occasional real benzodiazepine. Exception being the time I climbed the 12,000+ ft. mount Whitney and sweated out the majority of the oxycodone that got my fat ass up the trail. Being in medium withdrawals that night my buddy gave me 6 pills and said they were 5 mg's of ambien each..... Turned out they were actually 10mg's each. Whoops...

This resulted in my watching an imaginary circus of 6 inch tall exotic animals parade through the tent I was in, complete with a Ferris wheel and cages on wheels draped in colored lights , trainers and a vocal ringmaster. I wasn't awake, but the withdrawals from oxy kept me from being in a coma. I can remember this as vividly as if it happened yesterday. Something like a cross of DMT/ LSD but memory intact.

Last edited:
I used to like taking it and staying up, hallucinations that seemed completely real, like thinking there were random people in the house at night that were never there(and having conversations with them). Really cool closed eye visuals too. Gotta be careful as people tend to blackout on it. As far why you're not getting any of those effects op, I don't really know, but yeah, you do have to stay awake obviously.

I haven't even sent a single weird sounding text yet or bought anything in my sleep. I want to be able to experience this once. It's killing me.

do you guys think taking a klonopin, Ritalin, or Adderall with it might make the hallucinations happen? Or Absinthe?

you can not drink on ambien. you do not want to take that chance. my cousin almost died from that shit.

you can not drink on ambien. you do not want to take that chance. my cousin almost died from that shit.
I know my dad once overdosed on klonopin but I didn't think people could die from benzos or z drugs (without an opiate that is; RIP ASAP Yams). Don't you just look like you're dying but never actually do?

Coke might just cancel out the ambien experience altogether. They both have a short half-life so it's hard to say which will outlast the other. Maybe start with caffeine or red bull way earlier before the ambien. Use some caution if adding opioids or other sedatives to the mix as things could get hairy with a multitude of interacting drugs. Don't hurt yourself trying to achieve an ambien "trip" as it's not the End All, Be All of psychedelics despite what my earlier post and others have described.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I'm not an opiate person but my klonopin was kinda worrying me with the doses i've been trying on Ambien. Is there an interaction with that? And the cocaine just gave me a sinus infection so That's out of the picture now anyways.

But i I have a whole bunch of real acid just laying around my room, I know that would be a stronger trip but I want some hallucinations that only last an hour or two. And I know I'd get terrible panic attacks on the acid so that's why I like that the ambien calms me down with it.

Over the last 15 years of using Ambien in a similar fashion as yourself T.S.T. it has been mostly unremarkable even with opiates and the occasional real benzodiazepine. Exception being the time I climbed the 12,000+ ft. mount Whitney and sweated out the majority of the oxycodone that got my fat ass up the trail. Being in medium withdrawals that night my buddy gave me 6 pills and said they were 5 mg's of ambien each..... Turned out they were actually 10mg's each. Whoops...

This resulted in my watching an imaginary circus of 6 inch tall exotic animals parade through the tent I was in, complete with a Ferris wheel and cages on wheels draped in colored lights , trainers and a vocal ringmaster. I wasn't awake, but the withdrawals from oxy kept me from being in a coma. I can remember this as vividly as if it happened yesterday. Something like a cross of DMT/ LSD but memory intact.
Ambien trip sounds amazing. What's a good dose to fight during the day?

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I'm not an opiate person but my klonopin was kinda worrying me with the doses i've been trying on Ambien. Is there an interaction with that? And the cocaine just gave me a sinus infection so That's out of the picture now anyways.

But i I have a whole bunch of real acid just laying around my room, I know that would be a stronger trip but I want some hallucinations that only last an hour or two. And I know I'd get terrible panic attacks on the acid so that's why I like that the ambien calms me down with it.

It's obviously not my business, but I might strongly recommend trying a few more times to enter the hallucinogenic Ambien/zolpidem dreamscape a few more times before combining it with LSD?
The dreamscape is a unique and mostly enjoyable headspace, but it has definite risks that LSD could exacerbate. One is already so out of it (I once snapped-to mid trip to discover that three guys in a truck were yelling at me, and, from what they were yelling 'jesus, the dude's a f*cking zombie, FINE, IGNORE US ASSHOLE' I had evidently been ignoring them for some time) that decision making and perception are /seriously/ impaired.
Lots of stories on Something Awful (et al) about people who woke up having biked across the city and fallen asleep in ditches, taken out their car, bulk ordered furniture, et cetera.
Just cautioning in the interest of harm reduction!
I would srs srs recommend, next time you have a day off, taking your Ambien/zolpidem sublingually in the early evening (avoid oral use unless your stomach is completely empty; there's a reason they're generally prescribed as sub tabs) and stay moving. It's substantially harder to pass out if you're standing up and walking around; the trips on it that I had that were successful all entailed dropping it while in -relatively- secluded public spaces (parks, once it gets dark, school fields at night...) that were close to home, and entailed keeping moving for the first little while.

Tl;dr I would strongly suggest tripping w/o the LSD before trying it w/ LSD. Take Amb./ZOL on a day off, early into the evening, and, rather than sitting down (recipe for sleep), take a walk while you're coming up. If you can, grab a sober sitter- that way, you can stay outside for the duration of the experience, which is bizarre and interesting and allows you to fill in the MASSIVE (and inevitable) memory holes.
Good luck!

Also- despite Ambien/ZOL binding at the GABA A subunits (like benzodiazepines), it can (also like benzodiazepines) produce acute anxiety at higher doses. Not on it's own, in my experience, but if you're exposed to a traumatic situation (having to talk to someone you don't want to be talking to, being caught v v v high, doing something dumb and getting yelled at) the confusion it induces can make it very difficult to know how to respond correctly and induce anger or panic responses that are exacerbated by the dis-inhibition the GABA binding encourages.
Ime it works fine as an anxiolytic at low doses when otherwise sober, but... I dunno, man, obvi use your own judgement but I thought I'd mention it if you're planning on combining it with LSD for use in controlling anxiety/dysphoria?