• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Ambien prescription

istilplayrunescape

Greenlighter
I will start out by saying for years I have had nasty episodic insomnia, where i can go weeks (usually 3 weeks at a time) with a normal pattern of sleep, then for 2 or 3 days in a row i either wont sleep at all or have extreme trouble sleeping.

I went to the doctors for it multiple times since 16 or 17. Now im in college. the week before spring break it happened again, my mom went to italy for two weeks and a day or two into that (it didnt have to do with her leaving) my problems just hit hard, and it went into spring break. There was a point where i hadnt slept in days. Ive always told myself if it exceeded three days of no sleep i would go to a hospital.

I notice that they start with back pains, those will wake me up and keep me up, i cant stop moving my legs. then once that happens for one night the fear of the next night and everything else makes it so much worse and i think i end up scaring myself into not sleepin for days (i think)

anyway, at the peak of these problems during the spring break week, my body was in a lot of pain just aching everywhere from not sleeping. the worst was my back (my spine is pushed sideways and foward) and under my arm pits. Along with that i work roofing sometimes and that made it very hard i left work and havnt been back. got a job delivering pizza since.

i ended up one day taking 4 tylenols, and then another 4 an hour later when the pain wouldent go away. That along with the 4th day of no sleep made me go to the hospital, about 10 minutes after i took the 8th tylenol i said "wow i just swallowed a small handful of pills" and got really scared and just went.

they told me i was okay and they couldent help me with my sleep, but a doctor visit could. I did not sleep that night or the following night.... torture.

Finally my mother gets home and we go to the doctor, after a long conversation about my life and whats going on, he tries prescribing me Alprazolam (xanax?) i tell him in not really interested in pills, especially ones so addictive. (i have done a lot of reading on drugs since i used to be a party person when i was younger.)

were about to leave with nothing and my mother starts crying and yells at the doctor " what am i going to do when he cant sleep again tonight, when he cant sleep i cant sleep!" i try not to wake her up during my episodes but its hard my room is empty and i cannot sit still. i got rid of all video games and distractions and everything. usually i sit up and cry because i dont know why i cant sleep.

the doctors asks us to hang on a moment and comes back to the room.

he tells me he wants to prescribe me ambien 5mg and for me to give it a try right 5 minutes before bed time. he says take 1 to two of them try one first.

great i thought, drugs. i was really nervous a pill! i hope i dont get dependant on this thing to get to sleep!

the first night before bed lots of tossing and turning, i take my first pill. soon i slept for 3 hours straight ( a lot for me at this point)
i got up and it was about 2 am so i took another. i got up again at about 530 am. hm it worked i suppose.

the next night i try not to take one (also for the last two or three days i started a no caffiene and tons of excersize thing to try to be healthier)
i try to sleep at 8pm. im up at 11. fuck. i take one, im sleeping til 3 am. 3 am comes and i take one... nothing. i didnt want to take a third my doctor said DO NOT TAKE A THIRD.

i sat up all night after 3am.

the next night comes. its bed time. i take two at once.... i didnt get to sleep. instead i stay up for hours staring at my humidifier. it gives off a blue light, and if i would look away it would intensify 100 fold and turn a dark dark purple instead of blue. i stare at that for as long as i remember before i pass out. I also got into an argument with my girlfriend over facebook in the middle of the night when i thought i was sleeping.

after that night i consumed my everyday with staying busy. I wouldent rest for a second. no sitting down to watch tv, every spare moment i had i tried to fill with excersize or something. work, anything.

I started sleeping without the pills and i was very greatful. it lasted for about two weeks and now im back and i cant sleep well.

It has to do with a few things...

i have a ton on my mind, i just do not know if i am happy with my life, i just had to break up with my girlfriend. but these thoughts bother me during my day as im living my life,and not at night, i dont think of these things at sleep.

i fell in a parking lot and landed on this parking stub (little cement rectangles on the ground) my back hurts decently from it but i think it will go away, its just cuts and bruises no bone problem hopefully.

the past two days ive had the problems again... last night was worse, because saturday i went out with friends and started drinking when i noticed i couldent sleep, i was sleeping by 4am. (havnt went out to drink since i was about 17, im going to be 20 soon) but sunday night i couldent sleep again. i went to bed at 1030 and woke up at 12 and didnt get a wink until 7am. at which point i fell asleep and was woken up soon after to everyone else in the house waking up.

last night my mother asked me to please take one of my pills but i cant, they scare me. i get nervous about taking them, i dont want to see things change color again, i dont want to fight with people and not know why. im scared this is going to happen again. so far this is my first time its hitting me hard in college, and its costing me a lot. im already on thin ice from missing so many days even though i got a note, and its happening again. i dont want to rush to the doctor but i dont want time to tick by.

Im very miserable.

also i know amben arnt benzos but they are close.

Temazepam is a benzo, but it worked really well for me.

If you only have sporadic bouts of insomnia and just stick with taking the temazepam on those nights you can skirt dependence. I have to mention though that if taking a medication gives you a better quality of life, then by all means be dependent. Dependence is not addiction. I am dependent on my anti-depressants but I was addicted/dependent to heroin benzos and cocaine for over a decade. I know the difference.

Some other things to try is mindful meditation, limiting screen time before bed, breathing excercises, not excercizing for an hour or so before bed (contrary to what most think, excercise before bed will actually wake your mind up), valerian root, and last but not least white noise (I keep a tv and a fan on in my room because the slightest change in sound will wake me up)

As you can probably tell by my post, I too have a problem with insomnia. I actually have only slept two or three hours in the last two days. Try what I suggested, and if that does not work for you then there are sleep studies at all major universities and many hospitals.

If your insomnia is pain induced I would look for a Dr to get a script for a Benzo with good muscle relaxing properties.

I would recommend these 3 meds...

Lorazepam (ATIVAN)
Diazepam (VALIUM)
Clonazepam (KLONOPIN)

I've never had Clonazepam, but I hear it's very similiar to Diazepam, but more potent.

All 3 choices are good ones.

The best part about those benzos, is they'll REALLY relax you.. as they're mostly RX'd for Anxiety.

If you only have sporadic bouts of insomnia and just stick with taking the temazepam on those nights you can skirt dependence. I have to mention though that if taking a medication gives you a better quality of life, then by all means be dependent. Dependence is not addiction. I am dependent on my anti-depressants but I was addicted/dependent to heroin benzos and cocaine for over a decade. I know the difference.

Some other things to try is mindful meditation, limiting screen time before bed, breathing excercises, not excercizing for an hour or so before bed (contrary to what most think, excercise before bed will actually wake your mind up), valerian root, and last but not least white noise (I keep a tv and a fan on in my room because the slightest change in sound will wake me up)

As you can probably tell by my post, I too have a problem with insomnia. I actually have only slept two or three hours in the last two days. Try what I suggested, and if that does not work for you then there are sleep studies at all major universities and many hospitals.

for the last weeks i have been waking up at 6 am, going for bike rides through the woods and stuff (for exercise) I have cut down to just one coffee per morning and no more soda at all. just juice milk and water. I tried that root stuff and melatonin and at one point had trazadone but none of that worked. ive never really tried white noise but ive tried noises on my phone like the ocean or the forest i dont know if it really helped. its hard to remember some nights. Ive never had temazepam but ambien is zolpidem. This thread was really about finding out if it is worth trying out what else the doctor suggested and seeing if anyone has had similar problems. Ill read about temazepam but i think it might be best if i either tell him ambien just isint working for me. ive read that you shouldent ask doctors for a certain drug. that means i think he will most likely try giving me alprazolam because that was his original idea.

has anyone had experience using alprazolam as needed for insomnia??? ive never heard of it. but im thinking there is no chance of having such experiences on that if taken in proper dosages, i just dont like how the ambien has affected me after taking it.

usually right before falling asleep on it i get a weird rush in my belly is that normal? probably better question for doctor.

I used a combination of alprazolam and temazepam.

Be honest with your doctor. Just tell him the ambien is not working.

I only take alp as needed now, whereas before I had a massive habit.

The brand name of temaz is restoril.

If your insomnia is pain induced I would look for a Dr to get a script for a Benzo with good muscle relaxing properties.

I would recommend these 3 meds...

Lorazepam (ATIVAN)
Diazepam (VALIUM)
Clonazepam (KLONOPIN)

I've never had Clonazepam, but I hear it's very similiar to Diazepam, but more potent.

All 3 choices are good ones.

The best part about those benzos, is they'll REALLY relax you.. as they're mostly RX'd for Anxiety.

well sometimes its pain in my lower back that wakes me up and keeps me having to turn and move my legs and just get up and stand up sometimes.

other times its just other things i dont know. i feel like its more than one reason, or sometimes its just different reasons. I think if it were truly pain induced it would happen more frequently than episodicly. but i dont know i am not a doctor

I actually agree with this, temazepam is pretty fucking effective at putting you down and it seems to lack the 'euphoric' properties that benzo's like alprazolam and diazepam have. Ambien might as well be a benzo OP, so there's no need to discriminate. You're basically just taking a shitty benzo with super shitty and weird side effects. Don't get me wrong, I've had myself a blast on ambien, but I used it for all the wrong reasons. As a sleep medication it's pretty terrible.

It depends. If your insomnia is anxiety-driven, I think zolpidem is pretty good. It calms my mind, thus allowing me to sleep.

Never taken it for "recreational" purposes but I've been prescribed it for years. Still works although I can also sleep without it.

I never had success with ambien it worked for 2-3 days for me and then i would just end up staying up all night slightly tripping.

What DID work for me was clonazipam and mirtazapine

Klonopin 2 hours before bed and temazepam 20 minutes before bed is the best for me personally when it comes to taking benzos for sleep. Klonopin is a long lasting benzo and takes a little to kick in and temazepam is the fasted acting benzo and is often prescribed for insomnia.

I've used both xanax and klonipon to sleep and preferred them to Ambien or other sleeping pills. No hungover feeling or weird side effects. Currently taking klonipon for sleep.

I agree.

Ambien gives a nasty hangover type feeling when you wake up in the morning.. Feeling out of it and feels like your brain is fogged up.
Id rather go with benzos.

tits

I agree.

Ambien gives a nasty hangover type feeling when you wake up in the morning.. Feeling out of it and feels like your brain is fogged up.
Id rather go with benzos.

thanks everyone! i am going to just ask him to try his first choice (alprazolam) and see what he says from there. thanks again!

I just took an ambien for the first time last night as well and was pretty weird for me too (made a post about it too actually. Lol). I'd say if you're not liking the trippiness though, ask for the alprazolam and only take it when you really need it and in small doses (maybe even just split the pill your doctor gives you in half).

If it's pain that keeps you awake though, maybe instead of these potentially addictive pills, try a chiropractor. Really works for my family's pain. And maybe have a doctor check your blood sugar too cause a low blood sugar can really keep you up as well.

The "trippiness" of Ambien eventually goes away if you take it long enough.

I can't tell if the pain comes from not sleeping or causes the not sleeping but is onky noticeable during sleep times say if I'm up at 3 am trying to sleep and then the next morning and usually goes away with rest