• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Ambien (not sure if I'm addicted or experiencing rebound)

AdrianM86

Greenlighter
Hello, first time user on the forums here.

...Okay, so let's get down to the knitty gritty here. I've been taking Ambien for about 4 months now, started out at 10 mgs with my first scrip. I can't remember if I was taking it regularly. Same thing for the 2nd month, but I went from 10mgs to 20, and I've been using 20 mgs for a month and 3/4s. Oct I used up my 10 day scrip in 5 days by taking 20 mgs nightly, Nov seems to have been my worst month so far, got a 30 day scrip and I'll be running out tonight. I've been taking Ambien infrequently again (anywhere between 1-2 days cold turkey, but I started using 30 mgs as of tuesday and last saturday, been trying to do it again cold turkey and I sit at the 72 hour mark).

Sorry about the likely confusing array of information given - like I said, first time doing this. So, as I'm typing this out, my palms and feet are sweaty, haven't sleep well between these days and I get sharp random stabbing pains in my arms, seldom though it may be, and a rapidly beating heart. Nausea too, though idk if it's from the medication or poor eating habits. I've read some nasty things about addiction occurring within two weeks time and I just went through a month's worth in about 19 days. Rebound, addiction, or just returning symptoms?

Probably a little of both. The line between just rebound symptoms and physical withdrawals is blurry but considering the physical symptoms you mentioned it does sound like you are experiencing withdrawal.

You should seriously consider either getting your use back in control (take only as prescribed) or completely stopping if you find you cannot stick to it that way. These symptoms you are experiencing will only get worse each time you experience them. Ambien withdrawal can get very serious, like seizures and can be life threatening... similar to regular benzodiazepine withdrawal.

While it's true that, as a GABAergic, Ambien has the potential to cause benzo-like withdrawals, the amounts you are taking, especially if it's every 1-2 days instead of nightly, are not too bad nor is the duration of your use. If I am reading your OP correctly you this is the first time you have had enough of a script for a full month? And you took up to 30mg on nights you used it then took 1-2 days break in between?

Personally I would be surprised if that type of use is enough to cause severe withdrawals. It sounds more like your symptoms are psychological anxiety or perhaps yes rebound of your natural insomnia. But I don't think that level of use is enough to cause those symptoms on its own.

I will agree however that the fact you've increased your dose quickly is a bad sign and you should try to either use it as scripted or get off it completely if you can't, because if this pattern continues you will have problems in the future.

But from the one month of sporadic 30mg max dosing you described, I don't see how you can be there yet. You can taper with what you have left and it will likely ease things up, but I would still bet most of those symptoms are anxiety or placebo.

Since my insurance won't fill another scrip for at least another week and I see my pcp tomorrow, are there any medications to help taper between that time and now? Neurontin does nothing now, been on it too long, and I take pregabalin already.

Hello, first time user on the forums here.

...Okay, so let's get down to the knitty gritty here. I've been taking Ambien for about 4 months now, started out at 10 mgs with my first scrip. I can't remember if I was taking it regularly. Same thing for the 2nd month, but I went from 10mgs to 20, and I've been using 20 mgs for a month and 3/4s. Oct I used up my 10 day scrip in 5 days by taking 20 mgs nightly, Nov seems to have been my worst month so far, got a 30 day scrip and I'll be running out tonight. I've been taking Ambien infrequently again (anywhere between 1-2 days cold turkey, but I started using 30 mgs as of tuesday and last saturday, been trying to do it again cold turkey and I sit at the 72 hour mark).

Sorry about the likely confusing array of information given - like I said, first time doing this. So, as I'm typing this out, my palms and feet are sweaty, haven't sleep well between these days and I get sharp random stabbing pains in my arms, seldom though it may be, and a rapidly beating heart. Nausea too, though idk if it's from the medication or poor eating habits. I've read some nasty things about addiction occurring within two weeks time and I just went through a month's worth in about 19 days. Rebound, addiction, or just returning symptoms?

I have found Ambien to be the one of all my medications that does make me have addictive like behavior. As in, taking 20 mg at a time and running out way early. My other medications are MS Contin and Clonazepam. I don’t have many problems with running out of those two. But the Ambien is strange, I will forget I took it and take more. Be aware and be careful of this cycle with Ambien.

Now I take one and then put the bottle way up where it is hard to get to and I really have to think about it. Plus If it is put away up high I know that I have already taken one. Or two. Lol!

I have found that Ambien does make you feel like shit for about 2 days when abused.
It makes me depressed and anxious, unable to sleep, nauseated, headache, just a general shit feeling for 72 hours and Then clears up and you feel better. The first 24 hours is the worst.

Try some doxylamine Succinate. It is an over the counter sleep aid. It calms me down and helps me sleep. It has worked to help me through Ambien and clonazepam withdrawal. I also find antihistamines also help. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is the worst of The worst and it kicks up the allergy system. Ambien is in the hypnotic drug category and it doesn’t have nearly the withdrawal as benzodiazepines does. The doxylamine succinate is in the hypnotic drug category also. It is something that can be used to taper down with.

Don’t worry, you should be feeling better real soon. Drink lots of water and flush out your body.

You should take one a night if possible, then after a week, take half for a week, then either a week of quarters or get some herbal valerian root capsules or better use diphenhydramine or promethazine if you still struggle to sleep. Or ask your doctor for trazodone.
Good luck!

While it's true that, as a GABAergic, Ambien has the potential to cause benzo-like withdrawals, the amounts you are taking, especially if it's every 1-2 days instead of nightly, are not too bad nor is the duration of your use. If I am reading your OP correctly you this is the first time you have had enough of a script for a full month? And you took up to 30mg on nights you used it then took 1-2 days break in between?

Personally I would be surprised if that type of use is enough to cause severe withdrawals. It sounds more like your symptoms are psychological anxiety or perhaps yes rebound of your natural insomnia. But I don't think that level of use is enough to cause those symptoms on its own.

I will agree however that the fact you've increased your dose quickly is a bad sign and you should try to either use it as scripted or get off it completely if you can't, because if this pattern continues you will have problems in the future.

But from the one month of sporadic 30mg max dosing you described, I don't see how you can be there yet. You can taper with what you have left and it will likely ease things up, but I would still bet most of those symptoms are anxiety or placebo.
Unfortunately I only had 15mg left to work with last night, but it put me out. Hopefully seeing my pcp tomorrow bears fruit.