• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ambien and UTI

EliseBug

Greenlighter
I?ve been trying lunesta but it?s just not strong enough, but when I was using Ambien my UTI seemed to be worse and I saw on some sites that it was frequently reported that people got UTIs. I was wondering if there?s truth to this and if there is why does it happen? I?ve been having a lot of trouble with UTIs and I asked two doctors about the connection to ambien, but haven?t been told anything. I don?t trust doctors side effect data bases though.

Last edited:
I haven't seen much that correlates Zolpidem with UTI's, not that it's not a real possibility, just doesn't seem overly prevalent. There's some speculation that less frequent trips to the bathroom due to sedation might have some effect, but the FDA has UTI's listed as a side effect of zolpidem at 3.22% which could be a coincidence. Hopefully some others might have some more meaningful input on this.

Im lazy and give up trying to find what percentage of a group of people have utis as some kinda control but

62,274 people reported to have side effects when taking Ambien.
Among them, 2,005 people (3.22%) have Urinary tract infection

What this doesnt tell us is

1. If this was a controlled study what percentage of people who happened to get utis independently of ambien.

2. Since this is a group of only people who reported side effects that may drastically skew the percentages as someone who didnt have side effects isnt included.

For example say
10,000,000 people take ambien
9,000,000 get zero side effects
Out of the 1,000,000 only
100,000 report the side effects
3,000 report uti

So we only know that 100,000 have a 3,000 report a uti this can make a large amount of bias from what i vaguely remember you can lookup problems with self reported surveys , population, bias, and samples

Lastly we dont know how long they have been taking ambien for all we know they have been on it for years and at some point in time they had a uti which is very common to occur at some point in time even without ambien

D1nach said:
Lastly we dont know how long they have been taking ambien

Time on Ambien when people have Urinary tract infection
< 1 month: 3.85 %
1 - 6 months: 7.69 %
6 - 12 months: 3.85 %
1 - 2 years: 19.23 %
2 - 5 years: 7.69 %
5 - 10 years: 38.46 %
10+ years: 19.23 %

----------
Actually it does provide some of that info but yeah it's highly flawed as far as analytics / self reported data sets go. I guess the fact that it's very plausible regarding coincidence is a good sign. Ha, even some of the people with UTI's were also taking Levaquin which screams "Take this info with a grain of salt", lol.