• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Ambien a gateway to ketamine?

Haptic

Greenlighter
I got a prescription for ambien and I read somewhere online that zolpidem is similar to ketamine, is that true? Also, I tend to get extremely nervous before doing new drugs as a consequence from bad experiences. Should I take all the precautions with ketamine as if I would be taking high dose shroom trip or something? Set and setting and all that? Or does it more closely relate to other dissociatives like DXM and nitrous, where most people just take it without much thought regardless of their mood?

Are we talking about ambien or ketamine here? Firstly, I don't find zolpidem similar to ketamine at all. The former is a 'Z-drug' and essentially identical to benzodiazepines but without the muscle relaxant properties. Zolpidem just makes me very happy and relaxed and reckless, and it wipes my memory. Also I often read messages I've sent on zolpidem and wonder what I was thinking.

Ketamine is more like a trip. You probably won't hallucinate or anything like that, but your depth perception will be way off. Relations between objects become distorted but they retain their fundamental quality. If you're an anxious person I wouldn't do it unless you're in a good headspace. I'm extremely anxious and never freaked out on K, but still.

^Yes.

Ambien is most similar to the benzodiazepines. I don't know where you heard that it was a "gateway" to ketamine...but that's not true.

I was talking about ketamine. I have a hookup for it, but if it follows all the same rules as other psychedellics then it's a no go.

Zolpidem could be used as a gateway for numerous things, and it is definitely not a stretch to say there are some similar disorienting effects with ketamine.

Damn, dude, this is the most far-fetched "Gateway Drug" theory I have *ever* heard LOL.

Those would be pretty darn unique circumstances leading one from Zolpidem tartrate to ketamine HCl.

~ vaya

I love ambien, but wouldnt call it a gateway to anything other than a good nights sleep, relaxed, and mixed with booze a general fun night.

I was talking about ketamine. I have a hookup for it, but if it follows all the same rules as other psychedellics then it's a no go.

What 'rules' do you have in mind? It's shorter acting than most psychedelics. i.e. You can do it without the preparation and such that can make tripping inconvenient.

Zolpidem/Ambien is a Z-drug with an unusual propensity to produce strange hallucinations. Z-drug hallucinations are distinct from both dissociatives and typical (ie, serotonergic, like shrooms/acid/2C-x/etc) psychedelics. It has nothing in common with dissociatives or psychedelics, other than that it can produce some form of hallucination.

Ketamine is a dissociative - generally seen as a particularly good one. It doesn't tend to cause profound negative experiences when taken in a non-ideal mindset like typical psychedelics often do.

You're also a lot less likely to want to be mobile when on ketamine, vs other psychedelics, which also makes it easier to use.

Ambien and Ketamine have nothing in common. When abused, Ambien is a minor deliriant. When Ketamine is abused (correctly--that is to say intramuscularly) and understood, it can be the most powerful psychedelic in the world. There's no gateway to ketamine... Please no one suggest MXE is it.

I dont find ambien similar to ketamine even a little bit, ambien is a sleep aid makes you sleepy relaxed, ketamine is completely different very pychedelic in high doses and in low doses not similar at all to ambien. On ketamine you get intense spacial distortions and your depth perception will be way off, youre view of objects and how big/small they are will be off, ambien youll just be sleepy and forgetful.

Ambien to me feels reminiscent of ketamine. The state of mind is very similar, and the body feeling is dead-on a dissociative vibe.

I got a prescription for ambien and I read somewhere online that zolpidem is similar to ketamine, is that true? Also, I tend to get extremely nervous before doing new drugs as a consequence from bad experiences. Should I take all the precautions with ketamine as if I would be taking high dose shroom trip or something? Set and setting and all that? Or does it more closely relate to other dissociatives like DXM and nitrous, where most people just take it without much thought regardless of their mood?
Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic indicated for short-term surgeries and
Ketamine is very similar in chemical makeup to PCP (phencyclidine), but it is shorter acting and less toxic. Ketamine produces dissociative anesthesia by blocking NMDA receptors. It is a superb drug for use in short-term medical procedures that do not require skeletal muscle relaxation, and it has approval for the induction of general anesthesia as a pre-anesthetic to other general anesthetic agents.

Zolpidem, a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic agent, works as a gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a receptor chloride channel modulator/agonist that increases GABA inhibitory effects leading to sedation. Differing from benzodiazepines, which non-selectively bind to and activate all benzodiazepine (BZ) receptor subtypes, zolpidem in vitro binds the BZ1 receptor preferentially with a high-affinity ratio of the alpha1/alpha5 subunits.

So zolpidem is nothing like ketamine. Ketamine, when given to severely depressed patients in the dose of 0.5 mg/kg as a slow intravenous infusion over 40 minutes, brought about acute relief from depression and amelioration of suicidal risk within a few hours.

Ketamine in the dose of 1 mg/kg i.m. has been used with proven safety for narcoanalysis in what has been termed “Ketamine Abreaction”.

However, little is known about the potential role of intramuscular (i.m.) ketamine in the treatment of major depression.

Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic indicated for short-term surgeries, while Ambien (zolpidem) is a non-benzodiazapine hypnotic used for short-term treatment of insomnia.

Yeah, I wonder where this claim origins from. These two drugs have literally nothing in common besides that both are psychoactive, and that I like both of them.

While they're both very different pharmacologically speaking - I do actually think that they have quite a bit of subjective overlap. They're both euphoric non-stimulants, that bring a heavy dose of *the weird* into your experience when you take them. They're also both pretty inward focused drugs that have a mixture of spontaneous realizations/deductions/intuitions and they're both drugs that make it challenging to communicate (ketamine moreso than ambien, but they share an overlap). I'd also say that they're disinhibiting in a way thtat can make things make sense enough to make everything feel 'okay' despite being weird.

I would honestly argue that they're incredibly similar in some very core ways, while being unrelated in others.

Ketamine has something unique about it cause its the only dissociative that gave me a restful sleep after the last effects disappeared. Including taking away MDMA comedown's.
Other dissociatives taken: Methoxetamine, desoxyMethoxetamine (dMXE), 2-fluoro-DCK, DCK and 0-PCE.

These all have me awake long after the effects are over. Some even acting like stimulants like methoxetamine in low dosages.

Ketamine has something unique about it cause its the only dissociative that gave me a restful sleep after the last effects disappeared. Including taking away MDMA comedown's.
Other dissociatives taken: Methoxetamine, desoxyMethoxetamine (dMXE), 2-fluoro-DCK, DCK and 0-PCE.

These all have me awake long after the effects are over. Some even acting like stimulants like methoxetamine in low dosages.
Yeah, most dissociatives are stimulants for me as well. I couldn't sleep on any of them including ketamine. When I was using DCK I'd go into a 2 days awake, 16h sleep, repeat cycle which led to psychosis ...