Amazing Video Games

Pretty much anything touched by Shigeru Miyamoto is classic (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid series).
And the Final Fantasy games rule RPG's.

Yea..FFX was the shit. The story lacked just a tiny bit, but damn were the graphics and movies scene's f-ing intense. I almost shed a tear at the end. I had got so wraped up in the story, that i was sad to see the end ...hehe.

Alien vs Predator 2 is an awesome and emersive experience in multiplayer. There is nothing at all like the experience of being amongst a small group of marines when those darn aliens start coming from nowhere. Major adrenaline rush!
Story of Thor on the Mega Drive was the first game I ever bothered to finish more than once. By far the best action-rpg I have encountered (keeping in mind that I despise turn-based rpg combat, so all the FF's are out)

I don't think anyone's said it so I will. XENOGEARS for PS1. Took 80 hours of my life and I am gratefull for every second of it.
Other games - ALL of the FF series
Metal Gear Solid 1&2
Starcraft was so fun and addictive
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoiden 1 and 2

is this about "good computer games" or, "computer games as a (visual) art form"? whats the art in GTA? or, why do we discuss comp. games in VPA? or, explain the visual art in GTA.. or, be smarter!

Originally posted by Here&There:
is this about "good computer games" or, "computer games as a (visual) art form"? whats the art in GTA?
Luring cops down your hidey hole in the second island, get rid of your stars, make them get out of their cars, shoot them and then stash as many cop cars as you can in your garage... I'm up to five.
If thats not art then I don't know what is :)
And more to the point - in the absence of an actual 'geek forum' then there's no-where else on Bluelight to discuss videogames seriously.

Originally posted by Here&There:
is this about "good computer games" or, "computer games as a (visual) art form"? whats the art in GTA? or, why do we discuss comp. games in VPA? or, explain the visual art in GTA.. or, be smarter!
Both I suppose. I was leaning towards the visual artistic view, but now that I have thought about it, the programming that goes into some games can almost make them art pieces of their own.

the programming that goes into some games can almost make them art pieces of their own.
funny, I was thinking about this for some time. Can coding be considered as art? Can we say its similar to writing an essay? Can we say computer languages are somehow similar to languages (like English)?
In my opinion, the main difference is that art somehow evolves by itself, its almost like a living organism. It changes meaning by time, or by the evolution of the viewer. Its hard to say the same thing for programming, programming is more done for commercial reasons, so the code is almost useless besides its purpose, which makes it a commercial product more than art..
But games like Quake could very well pass for contemporary art, if they were not done as "products". 2 persons playing Quake in 2 computers, trying to kill the other (in a museum).. With a concept like "virtual violence" or "simulation of the basic instincts". You go to this show in a museum, interact w/ the art work (quake) to meet the depths of your soul which you had to hide because of the modern life.

meh i play tons of online games, someitmes i could be labeled 'a gamer' yeah.. one of THOSE guys.. me and friends gather a ring of our 5 computers hooked up to my cable modem and join random servers and whip everybody on the opposite teams ass.. yes., that in itself is an art form.
lately i've been playing some Half-Life mods:
Counterstrike: pretty fun, mildly realistic, but nowadays there are WAY too many kids using hacks, its just no fun anymore.. and i refuse to cheat, because i just feel so .. dirty.
Day of Defeat: its pretty much like counterstrike, but its WW2 based, axis versus allied teams.. old style guns, pretty much like an online saving priate ryan deathmatch thing.
alot better than counterstrike , no cheats, and just a little bit more fun, IMO
tfc: ok, i tried it. i cant handle it, its too damn fast, and the weapons blow nuts.. it does not take 5 shot gun blasts to fucking kill somebody!!.. and no, you should not be able to fly across the map by jumping over the explosion from a concussion grenade =P
Shogun : Total War YES!! WAR!!.. played the campaigns, me and the mongols = the jesus
just got Mafia from a friend, very VERY cool game, some similarities to GTA but.. your a 1940's gangster
cant CANT CAAAANNNTTTT wait for .halo to be released for PC.. ugh. i was a part of halo-net!! the first clan formed before the x-box was even heard of!! microsoft you fuckers!! :( .. but yeah, so cant wait for Halo to come out.. arg..
and they really fucked up soverign.. that game could have been so cool :(
the only way to play WARCRAFT 3 is by playing as the night elves, upgrading the movement speed for your bases.. and growing like 10 main 'Tree's of Life' and killing everybody.. if they hurt onf of them, have it go eat the forest to heal itself.. hehehe
hrm.. other games other games..
for artistic value, so far, i like the soul reavers the best, the cut scenes are beautiful! and even tho the levels are all choppy, its still really cool :)
cant think of anything else
tfc sux! :D ;) (just playing andy and tyler)

Here&There : Take a look at Final Fantasy 8's FMV introduction.
It redefines the word 'videogame'..
:)
Merrick : Bahaha!!! you sir, rock.

I remember an earlyer version of Final Fantasy, it had a cool intro.. anyway, I was talking about something else..

floormat is a gamer *snicker* ;)
bah, buzzy is too... cant get him away from ghost reacon sometimes
Can coding be considered as art? Can we say its similar to writing an essay? Can we say computer languages are somehow similar to languages (like English)?
this goes along with the thread about what is considered art. i find that everything has an art to it, its unfortunate that only the fine arts are dubbed as art.

^im sure the people who do the animations for any video game consider everything they do art. Its very difficult making cgi movies for games and can take years to accomplish. Companies have an entire animation squad of like 200 people all working on different frames of a game at all times, day and night. Theres more people in the animation section of the project then any other part(coding, storyline, marketing)
For the person who inquired about vice city; its the prequel to grand theft auto 3. We find out who our character was, and why he was arrested in the beginning of gta3. It takes place in miami florida in the late 80's. www.vicecity.com I cannot wait.

Originally posted by floormat:
tfc: ok, i tried it. i cant handle it, its too damn fast, and the weapons blow nuts.. it does not take 5 shot gun blasts to fucking kill somebody!!.. and no, you should not be able to fly across the map by jumping over the explosion from a concussion grenade =P
tfc sux! :D ;) (just playing andy and tyler)

hahah yeah ... you can't handle tfc
too intense for j000!
hell I'll challenge anyone on bluelight to play a match of tfc
neo and me v all! > :D

Originally posted by Maui2k:
We find out who our character was, and why he was arrested in the beginning of gta3.
Um... he was arrested because that Columbian bird you kill in the helicopter at the end ("get this thing airborne!") and him did a bank job, she double crossed him and shot him when they were escaping, thus making him get caught by the cops...
Vice City is something completely new I thought... Kent Pauls 80's website is a dummy site to be set up by Rockstar to promote the game... there's been so little info so far... it better not be shit... :)

I just played PS2's Fatal Frame...wholly hell, I'm embarrassed to say but that game started to scare the crap out of me. At one point I actually stopped the game to turn the lights on. If you haven't played it check it out here www.fatalframegame.com .

I finally did the mission on GTA were i had to take the cop to the airport. Shortly after the pager goes off with a message saying ...see you in Miami...hehe. Is it October yet?!!

jesus only one person i have seen that actually goes back to the roots....paper boy....what about mike tyson's punch out, contra 1 and 2, rampage, old ass pong on atari, any game where you could use the nintendo glove, or the running pad....these games may lack art or whatever but still great