• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amazing Remission of Severe Opioid Use Disorder with Ibogaine

DotChem

Bluelighter
Magical what a simple molecule can do.. brain reboot button..(wish more research was done on how Ibogaine work). wouldnt it be nice to reset one's entire psych life at a push of a button.. 500 mg Ibogaine Hydrochloride

Remission of Severe Opioid Use Disorder with Ibogaine: A Case Report Journal of Psychoactive Drugs Volume 48, 2016 - Issue 3 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02791072.2016.1180467

ABSTRACT

Background: Opioid use disorders (OUD) translate into major health, social, and economic consequences. Opioid agonist medications, which generally require long-term administration, are the mainstay pharmacological treatment of OUD. However, a large proportion of individuals with OUD either refuse or fail to respond to these therapies. Ibogaine, a naturally occurring substance found in the Tabernanthe iboga plant, has shown potential to bring about transformative or spiritual experiences that have reportedly been associated with long-term abstinece. Although research on ibogaine is limited, an ibogaine subculture persists, offering unregulated ibogaine preparations for the treatment of addiction. Case presentation: We describe the case of a 37-year-old female with a 19-year history of severe OUD achieving an ongoing 18-month period of abstinence following a four-day ibogaine treatment. Her previous longest period of continuous abstinence from opioids was two months while on methadone. No safety issues associated with ibogaine were observed. Conclusions: A four-day treatment with ibogaine was succesful in achieving long-term remission of a previously treatment-refractory patient with severe OUD. While rigorous trials are required to establish safety and efficacy, future studies should seek to delineate the potential role of ibogaine or other molecules that may produce transformative experiences for individuals with substance use disorder.
Does anybody have access to full paper? thanks for posting it.

Interesting she seems to be citing the more mystical experiences as being the cause of her sustained sobriety. I understand people don't often know the true reasons for their actions, and we live in a very faith based society, but it does make me wonder just how much less effective a selective a3b4 antagonist will be that does not provide that "spiritual" component. I suppose being able to really up the a3b4 blockade and not being limited in dosage might help counterbalance that, and I suppose you can always recreate the spiritual component with other drugs that have less side effects than ibogaine.

^ there is strong evidence: selective alfa3beta4 antagonist attenuate withdrawal symptoms from opiates, stims, nicotine and alcohol. here is a morphine study:
The α3β4* nicotinic ACh receptor subtype mediates physical dependence to morphine: mouse and human studies http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4128047/

..mystical experiences as being the cause of her sustained sobriety..
True and lots of people who've gone through Ibogaine trip report the same mystical, spiritual, religious experience as helping them stay sober. Almost all actually. but the puzzling thing is that Ibogaine works with opiates-conditioned RATS too. and it is hard to imagine rats undergoing a mystical experience . Can you imagine rats sitting in a corner and feeling Angels, God or similar entities holding their hands ...euhh their paws and talking them out of doing heroin again? We may never know since rats can't tell us. But seriously though IMHO there is a rational (as yet unknown) mechanism behind Ibogaine effect. I say unknown because all the proposed explanations fall short. For example alfa3beta4 selective antagonists suppress withdrawal symptoms just like Ibogaine but not the long term psychological craving. And it does that with opiates, stimulants, nicotine, alcohol.. but it doesnt last long. I mean long abstinence period suppressing almost completely the psychological craving like Ibogaine does. Plus removal of the drug stimulus (al3b4 selective antagonist) reinstate WD symptoms (ref tbd)

LikewiseI am not sure the HT2A-type hallucinations of Ibogaine have anything to do with the long term abstinence effect of the drug: else similar effects should be seen with drugs like DMT. Plus Ibogaine is not especially potent 5HT2a agonist (Ki only ca 12uM.. compare to LSD of 0.0006uM!!) So it is hard to tell whether 5HT2a agonism has anything o do since afaik no study has try DMT for long term abstinence from opiates or stims. Same with selective kappa agonists such as Silvia Divinorum. That may be closer to Ibogaine effect on the psychological craving but Salvinorin A (Salvia Psychoactive compound) half-life in the brain is only 2min!
IMHO the more I read about this compound, the more I think there may be an unknown mechanism through which it works to completely suppress the psychological craving from almost ALL addictive substances. Blockade of a3b4 may explain its effect on Wd. The psychological not sure.. may be by activating some brain pathway(s) that is(are) the exact opposite of delta-FOS; inducing a sort of reverse LTP (is there such a thing? like reversing LTP say by blocking AMPAr. But then again, the effect won't happen acutely, I mean within hours of administering the drug. In some people a single dose of Ibogaine suppress both the WD(physical) AND the psychological craving lasting sometime for years in some people. More puzzling yet, it works with RATS. Not sure about the Psychology of Rats.. they may also been seeing Angels and Demons on Ibogaine.. who knows? I guess rats demons would like like.. a CAT?

Thanks a lot for the link..

PS: BTW the girl from that case in Vancouver still sober for almost 2 years following Ibogaine after 20 years of heroin.. nothing worked for her before..pretty amazing!

Last edited:
The reverse of LTP that you hypothesize is essentially Long Term Depression as I recall, and it makes sense that a prolonged state of altered consciousness would help atrophy some of the subjects typically used (used daily in the life of an addict, or emotionally scarred individual) synaptic connections.

Maybe a KOR agonist + NMDA agonist with a Glutamate antagonist like Perampanel (AMPA antagonist, AMPA being particularly implicated in LTP) would be helpful in altering plasticity and thought patterns in the absence of ibogaine's psychedelic effects. Maybe some classic 5HT psychedelic action during the day as to not disrupt sleep too much?

The reverse of LTP that you hypothesize is essentially Long Term Depression as I recall, and it makes sense that a prolonged state of altered consciousness would help atrophy some of the subjects typically used (used daily in the life of an addict, or emotionally scarred individual) synaptic connections.
?
Is the Long Term Depression mediated by downregulation of Hippocampal AMPAr ? Since Nootropics and ketamine antidepressant activity seem to be via upregulation of hippocampus AMPAr (acutely??). in that case, can then ketamine (or some nootropics) reverse the effect of mu opioids? similarly to Ibogaine ie reversing the LTP of opiates?

^ there is strong evidence: selective alfa3beta4 antagonist attenuate withdrawal symptoms from opiates, stims, nicotine and alcohol. here is a morphine study:

Who was that (musician?) who swore by Ibogaine for having cured his heroin addiction, but observers noted it did "nothing to stop his massive consumption of cigarettes..." (which is all know is more complex than nicotine content alone) "...and coffee" (i.e. caffeine.)

I personally believe that there is a substantial breathing component for some cigarette smokers, or occupation of hands/lips and having something to focus on sort of thing.