Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Amanita Muscaria and Ibotenic Acid Decarb

Tryptamino

Bluelight Crew
Hello all!
I recently purchased 32 grams of dried Amanita Muscaria caps. I have never experimented with them before but my curiosity became too great to go any longer without trying. I have been reading as much as possible on the topic of preparation/dosage/experiences etx. But i get nervous about the alleged risk of ibotenic acid poisoning. I vaguely get the impression based one three accounts from very different sources that cooking them in the oven at a low temp until they are dried to the point of being so dry that they snap when bent helps with the decarboxylation of Ibotenic Acid into Muscimol, but have heard so many mixed reports I am unsure of it altogether. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the subject who could offer some insight? Thanks!

From memory, heat on low until cracker dry as you describe. I've done this on a number of occasions but never sampled the end product (it's been on the to do list..)

Thing is you don't/won't really know exactly how much ibotenic acid there is, even worse is I've always been under the impression that while ibotenic acid is indeed more toxic feeling, it's also the NMDA antagonist that does all the work. Muscimol is primarily affecting GABA.

So from my research it seems that while Muscimol rich Amanitas won't feel as toxic, they also won't take you as far with more of a relaxant effect.

-GC

Pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the psychoactive effects of manaitas are due to muscimol and its effects on GABA, rather than NMDA antagonism, which is why the effects, though rather dissociative in nature, are different than the effects of NMDA antagonists. Ibotenic acid is simply poisonous so you want to convert it all to muscimol. This can be done by heating/cooking them (like in a stir fry or something would work, Limpet_Chicken has written about this quite a bit), or you can full dry them to cracker dry (which the ones you buy already are). In other words, if yours are already fully dry, you can just make a tea out of them, or powder and eat them, or whatever, they're already safe.

You might want to get someone to verify this but this is my understanding from years of observing conversation here. I've only tried them once, a long time ago, and never got many effects.

I've gotta say I did quite a bit of research looking at the differences in experiences and there seems to be two types of Amanita trips. One which is sedating/alcohol like in nature, and one that indeed resembles NMDA antagonism. And of course in between... The heavy trip-like experiences seem more toxic on the body.

This would correlate with the two known psychoactive substances, muscimol and ivotenic acid. Also research on pure muscimol has never given the deep trip that Amanitas can.

I stand by my statement, Amanitas won't take you down the rabbit hole without some nasty sides.

-GC

^ Pretty much true, although the decarbed Amanita can take you quite deep. Taking it raw for me was a bit like hold on, lie down, this is gonna be like ayahuasca it's so immersive. Or so it threatened to be--I had only taken a little.

But from what I've read, you can go quite far down the rabbit hole without having to deal with the toxic ibotenic acid side effects (killin brain cells n whatnot).

The one time I did it, we cooked them. The effects were mild but the dreams i had once asleep that night were really vivid and out there.
Funny, we picked a black garbage bag nearly full, then didn't know what to do with it all. Ended up going in the compost! They never tweaked my interest again, I prefer the non-toxic mushies (less toxic) of the P. Baeocystis variety. Two or three will be enough for a decent trip.

If you don't prepare 'em well, you might get enough ibotanic acid in your system to have too much cross the BBB, even though it's not prone to. In that case you'll feel thoughts disappearing from mind as if eaten by a psychic space alien.

This won't happen if you prepare them well, I don't see a good reason to start calling the psychoactives "toxins" here. The intended amount of ibotanic acid provides the delirious effects and adds to the personality of the trip, it's not "simply poisonous". Paracelsus is turning in his grave.