• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Am I weird for treating psychedelics as purely recreational?

Th3Raz96

Greenlighter
So I know that psychedelics are powerful tools that can be used for deep learning and spiritual growth, butttt I take them for fun.

That's not to say I haven't had some enlightenment along the way, and also not to say I don't respect the power behind these substances, but I just treat them as some of the best fun this world has to offer. Perhaps it's because I'm still quite young? Kind of like being a lush when you start drinking, you only drink to get drunk, but with time you gain an appreciation for the drink itself.

I think it also has to do with the substances I have under my belt, as most of them are more on the more recreational end of the spectrum, ie a lot of experience with psilocybin and very little DMT, know what I mean?

It would also be different if it were something I actually went into seeking information, rather than a good time.

No not weird at all. I have never taken them to find some deep meaning or solve some problem, just simply to experience them.

Not in the slightest, you're firmly in the mainstream as treating psychedelics as recreational drugs, which they pretty much are, outside of a clinical context or at least a modest approximation of one. There's a place for self exploration in drug use but it is the people who seek some sort of "message" or "information" from fiddling with their brain chemistry who are weird TBH. Psychedelics can have positive therapeutic effects, but thinking that they download information into your brain or help you contact {insert new age mumbo jumbo here, viz. aliens, extradimensional elves, plant spirits, Mother Earth, Vishnu, jaguars, whatever} are trodding the path of delusion and arguably are abusing their drugs more so than those who just seek a good or interesting experience. And a lot of the people who claim highfalutin spiritual/self improvement goals for their drug use are recreational drug users/abusers whether they admit it or not.

Last edited:
Hahaha, thanks for the input fellas.

Don't dis the alien lord Gygax though SKL.

Gygax knows all, and he will impart this knowledge onto you if you seek him. When the time is right, he will make himself known and you will see the one true light.

...........nah I'm just fuckin around =D

As an atheist, I think new age spirituality is a bunch of nonsense. I corrolate my psych experiences (some of which have been rather spiritual) with chemicals interacting with receptors in my brain, not reaching some higer level of spiritual awareness.

I enjoy psychs as a fun, recreational break from reality that enhances my perception on life.

However, I have no problem with people using psychs for spiritual reasons, if it makes them happy.

All that matters is that you are using them for the right reasons (as defined by yourself).

Shit just got real :O

Haha but no, as above - absolutely nothing wrong with it, so long as you still employ safe tripping practices :)

Strictly recreational,you are fine! Only deep thought I ever had on acid was why are my walls melting,(in comes the Beavis and Butthead laugh) heh,heh,cool. That deeper meaning and spiritual understanding is hippy bullshit.

Last edited:
No it isn't... and I'm not even a hippy. Psychedelic experiences can result in very profound, even life changing insights.

Strictly recreational,you are fine! Only deep thought I ever had on acid was why are my walls melting,(in comes the Beavis and Butthead laugh) heh,heh,cool. That deeper meaning and spiritual understanding is hippy bullshit.

I disagree; have you tried mushrooms?

I disagree; have you tried mushrooms?

Yep! Used to grow my own.I'd buy a spore syringe online and the bag inoculate a month later viola.! I can't remember all the strains I grew but one that sticks out was golden teacher and it was much fun. I laughed my ass off for hours and I'm not knocking it maybe I shoulda rephrased my answer.For me there was no enlightenment(maybe I'm unenlightenable) but had many good times.Aicd I grew to hate made me ache and the come down was long and slow,go to the point I'd pop one and I'd instantly regret it(but then it's to late). Shrooms made me laugh alot and more pleasant on the body but never got deep meaning!

Smoked salvia also and all I can say about that shit is it made my world I knew go away(tough to explain).It was funny my buddy gave me 3 rapid bong hits and then I was gone for about 10 minutes when I came back around I said man that shit sucked pack me some more(now that's an addict)!

Last edited:
That's fair enough! We're all different I suppose ;) I just thought that perhaps mushrooms would have that little extra push towards the 'spiritual/oneness' kinda feeling....though perhaps again it's simple set/setting? I know when I've taken mushrooms and gone out to nightclubs, I certainly don't feel "one with the universe" in the slightest; yet when I took them and sat out on the oval at night with my housemate listening to Sphongle and staring at the stars, it was EXTREMELY different - I couldn't NOT feel like I was nothing more than energy, and part of everything.

The way I see it is this: if you're seeking recreation/fun and you end up having a spiritual experience, it's a (potentially life changing) bonus. But if you start taking psychedelics with the intent of having a religious experience and instead you just get high, you're going to be disappointed and it's going to be a waste of what could have been some really fun times.

The way I see it is this: if you're seeking recreation/fun and you end up having a spiritual experience, it's a (potentially life changing) bonus. But if you start taking psychedelics with the intent of having a religious experience and instead you just get high, you're going to be disappointed and it's going to be a waste of what could have been some really fun times.
That might be the best answer to a post I've heard! Dead fucking on mate!

Ah, precisely! Unless you've gone about preparing for a trip in a specific way to make it spiritual, all you're doing is lining yourself up for disappointment. Take it as it comes, and see what it shows you. One day you may just find yourself in the right setting for that kind of trip, but until then it's just enjoyment ;)

So I know that psychedelics are powerful tools that can be used for deep learning and spiritual growth, butttt I take them for fun.

That's not to say I haven't had some enlightenment along the way, and also not to say I don't respect the power behind these substances, but I just treat them as some of the best fun this world has to offer. Perhaps it's because I'm still quite young? Kind of like being a lush when you start drinking, you only drink to get drunk, but with time you gain an appreciation for the drink itself.

I think it also has to do with the substances I have under my belt, as most of them are more on the more recreational end of the spectrum, ie a lot of experience with psilocybin and very little DMT, know what I mean?

It would also be different if it were something I actually went into seeking information, rather than a good time.
Not everybody is profound, or has the capacity to experience reality in a profound way. In a few lifetimes psychedelics may do something with the quality of your consciousness that is profound. It won't happen on it's own though. You have to put in some real discipline. Start meditating now. There is nothing going on in your brain on psychedelics that cannot be accessed with a spiritual discipline. Sure you can psychedelics and watch bevies and butthead, and people here do. Perhaps you should read some of the people that have used them for insight and it will serve as a guide for you of what is possible. Start with Stan Grof's Beyond the Brain. Then try Ralph Metzner's Allies for Awakening. They are a couple of profound people who have used Psychedelics to accomplish profound things for themselves and many other people. The important question isn't whether you use Psychedelics recreationally, the important question is, "Are you using this rare lifetime recreationally." A human life is a rare opportunity. Don't blow it.

Hey MetanoiaMan I resent that beavis and butthead comment! Do you have TP for my bung hole,heh,heh,heh! Nah just kidding I took trips for fun not enlightenment and that's what I got from them,no complaints. Your reality isn't mine, right? Some take them more serious and if that's your bag then great, I might be a dope but I believe do what you enjoy and don't go outside your own personal realm and I happen to enjoy things on a much simpler plain. I'm not a Buddhist!

Not at all! Psychedelics are just drugs. You can use them however you want!

Not everybody is profound, or has the capacity to experience reality in a profound way. In a few lifetimes psychedelics may do something with the quality of your consciousness that is profound. It won't happen on it's own though. You have to put in some real discipline. Start meditating now. There is nothing going on in your brain on psychedelics that cannot be accessed with a spiritual discipline. Sure you can psychedelics and watch bevies and butthead, and people here do. Perhaps you should read some of the people that have used them for insight and it will serve as a guide for you of what is possible. Start with Stan Grof's Beyond the Brain. Then try Ralph Metzner's Allies for Awakening. They are a couple of profound people who have used Psychedelics to accomplish profound things for themselves and many other people. The important question isn't whether you use Psychedelics recreationally, the important question is, "Are you using this rare lifetime recreationally." A human life is a rare opportunity. Don't blow it.

I actually like this post, even if I don't fully agree myself :)