• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Am I going to have to lose this plant?

herbavore

Bluelight Crew
Came home from camping to find my 4 foot tall plant wilting on one side. Traced it back to this and it looks like only a matter of time before the rest of the plant follows suit:

Mods, sorry for not putting this in the growing megathread--every time I tried to make a new post there my computer froze. Feel free to merge it.<3

looks like it is getting mold from the picture. might be best to cut off the infected part so it doesn't spread down the plant further or spread spores onto other plants. I would try to figure out the cause first if possible, neem oil won't hurt in the mean time.

Does the top part above the brown/infected part show signs of yellowing?

I used both Dr. Earth Fungus control and Neem oil on it this morning but it may be too advanced to stop. So far everything except that one branch coming off the main stem looks good (and that one is obviously wilted). It is so far down the main stem that I would have to cut off everything except some little bottom branches. This is actually all quite hilarious if I put my ego aside. I have been known for my green thumb for my whole adult life (which as you know is getting pretty long;)) so the fact that I apparently cannot grow weed is humiliating me! This is my second attempt. Last year, my plants were stunted and ended up getting both caterpillars and mold, this year my first plant bolted and went to flowering at two feet tall and this one, which up until this weekend was my pride and joy now seems doomed. Meanwhile the rest of my damn garden looks impressive.8) Maybe I can trade flowers, strawberries and tomatoes for buds.

P.S. Small urban garden--I only have 2 plants.

Last edited:
Looks like a bad case of stem rot, I think you've lost that plant. If it's your only plant then you could try saving the bottom branches from it or maybe take a cutting & hope it survives. If you have other plants then I'd take it out & dispose of the plant to stop it spreading.

I used both Dr. Earth Fungus control and Neem oil on it this morning but it may be too advanced to stop. So far everything except that one branch coming off the main stem looks good (and that one is obviously wilted). It is so far down the main stem that I would have to cut off everything except some little bottom branches. This is actually all quite hilarious if I put my ego aside. I have been known for my green thumb for my whole adult life (which as you know is getting pretty long;)) so the fact that I apparently cannot grow weed is humiliating me! This is my second attempt. Last year, my plants were stunted and ended up getting both caterpillars and mold, this year my first plant bolted and went to flowering at two feet tall and this one, which up until this weekend was my pride and joy now seems doomed. Meanwhile the rest of my damn garden looks impressive.8) Maybe I can trade flowers, strawberries and tomatoes for buds.

P.S. Small urban garden--I only have 2 plants.

Hey sorry to hear that herbavore, but the battle isn't completely lost. Even if you weren't able to salvage any plants it will still be a learning experience for next year :) A lot of stoners are all about eating naturally so it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask about trading if you know someone.

Also, i'm not too familiar with outdoor growing but it might not be too late to get a few clones and grow a few shorter/smaller plants in place of one big one. If you are lucky you might even be able to find someone who can give you pre-vegged plants to give them a little head start.

Good luck, stay positive.

If the Fungus control and neem don't stop the rotting (or disease?), that plant will die. You need to keep a very close eye on how fast the rot is spreading.

Unfortunately, it's already started to flower, this means that whatever/if clones you take will not be as strong as they could be BUT I would keep a very close eye on the plant and any sign that the rot is spreading out of your control, I would make two cuts at a minimum.

If the rot becomes too much for the survival of the plant please do this:

1) Cut down to the bottom branches so the base of the original plant is growing without any of that rot on in.
2) Cut above the rot and make as many clones as you see fit (from the number of branches above the rot).

If you aren't experienced in cloning marijuana, now would be a good opportunity to learn.

Sorry to hear about your plant.

If the Fungus control and neem don't stop the rotting (or disease?), that plant will die. You need to keep a very close eye on how fast the rot is spreading.

Unfortunately, it's already started to flower, this means that whatever/if clones you take will not be as strong as they could be BUT I would keep a very close eye on the plant and any sign that the rot is spreading out of your control, I would make two cuts at a minimum.

If the rot becomes too much for the survival of the plant please do this:

1) Cut down to the bottom branches so the base of the original plant is growing without any of that rot on in.
2) Cut above the rot and make as many clones as you see fit (from the number of branches above the rot).

If you aren't experienced in cloning marijuana, now would be a good opportunity to learn.

Sorry to hear about your plant.

I think that is some solid advice, only thing I was thinking different she could even try to find a club or a friend who had already rooted clones so it won't be so far behind.

Also was curious if you new some of the common causes stem rot like this? any advice would be appreciated, considering starting a very small indoor medical grow in the near future.

I think that is some solid advice, only thing I was thinking different she could even try to find a club or a friend who had already rooted clones so it won't be so far behind.
Yes, at this point the clones Herby would take would be very far behind I agree. I was mostly suggesting the OP to start cloning as a learning experience, not so much to get a nice harvest this year...but next year is another story :) I guess if the OP has access to a club that would be the easiest solution as clones are fairly inexpensive (as they are also not so difficult to root-just takes a little practice). One week, rock wool, a plastic tray, a regular sized CFL bulb, scissors and a small pool of water is all you need to clone pot if you don't have access to a friend or club.

Also was curious if you new some of the common causes stem rot like this? any advice would be appreciated, considering starting a very small indoor medical grow in the near future.
I would imagine most causes of stem rot are from too much moisture.

A watered down solution of Hydrogen Peroxide is another good way to prevent this from happening.

I sometimes used a watered down solution of Isopropyl Alcohol to control mold during vegetation, and I imagine this would also help against stem rot as well.

Small medical grows are fun! =D

Well, so far the whole rest of the plant is holding up great. I treated it only the once and cut back a lot of the unnecessary leaves--especially in the middle to give it some air and save nutrients for the rest. That, and I talk baby talk to it every time I pass by.=D

Thanks for all the input. I did try a diluted hydrogen peroxide yesterday.

Humorous note about where I live: so far two trades people have had to come to my house (one electrician, about 65 yrs old and one flooring contractor, about 30 yrs old) and they both had a look and gave me a little advice and a lot of sympathy. The world is definitely changing.<3

^ That's awesome to hear! Maybe your plant will pull through this after all? You can always cut off just that one branch if it continues to go down hill and clone it as well if you feel it's fit.

Good luck Herby!