• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Am I experiencing seratonin syndrome?

AirJesus

Greenlighter
I am not prescribed any of the mentioned drugs, or any drugs at all. All was for recreation
Today is the 18th. I had taken ~135mg of tramadol on the 11th. On the 14th I had taken an average strength tab of tested Lsd around 8 pm. I had taken a 2mg alprazolam (xanax) to help with the come down and sleep around 2am.
The next morning I took some hydrocodone, I'd say about 40mg. ( not exact due to CWE)
On the 16th I had taken about another 135mg of tramadol. On the evening of the 17th I started to feel agitation and a mild headache and took a 5mg melatonin to help me sleep.
This morning I woke up with an awful headache, muscle soreness, slight nausea and extreme exhaustion. It's about 1030 pm and slept from about 6-9pm. I still have a headache. Although the nausea and muscle aches have gone away I am slightly warm in my head with a temp of 98.6 maybe 98.8 and still have a rather above average headache. Is seratonin syndrome what I'm experiencing? Or could this be some sort of bad dehydration? I am not prescribed any of these medications. All were for recreation.

Timeline
11th: ~135mg tramadol
14th: 1tab of Lsd, 2mg Xanax
15th: 40-50mg hydrocodone
16th: ~135mg tramadol
17th: 5mg melatonin (headache and slight twitching begin)
18th: loads of water, just took 400mg of ibuprofen for the headache. (Awful headache all day, nausea, muscle soreness and exhaustion most of the day till I slept at about 6)

Feed back would be very much appreciated, I've been all over the Web looking at symptoms of SS, interactions ect, but Im very unsure if I have it or if I'm just letting my mind run with paranoia and just matching my symptoms with what I'm reading.

If you can sit down and type that all out, nope, you're not having serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome is very serious in presentation (dramatic overheating, confusion, etc), and requires someone to take multiple drugs that cause serotonin release and inhibit the breakdown of serotonin (like MDMA and a MAOI) together within a short period of time.

Tramadol and melatonin, or even tramadol and LSD are safe to take together. Tramadol is a mild serotonin releasing agent - if mixed with MAOI drugs it might cause serotonin syndrome, but not with LSD or melatonin.

It sounds like influenza or a cold coming on, actually. Usually I feel kind of off the day before, and the n the next day I will wake up feeling awful, no energy, and stiff and sore all over... so basically what you're talking about.

Stock up on fruit juice and vitamin C and get lots of rest. Take some opioids if you have them and you will be in happy sleep land.

Last edited:
Sekio thanks for the wuick response but Yeah? Is there a lot more confusion or disorientation involved? And any thoughts on what is happening?

I've experienced with drawl from opana and oxycodone, and the headache feels similar but it's only a headache, so I don't attribute it to the hydro use. I frequently use opioids, but these days I don't use to the point of experiencing withdrawl. Just weekend recreational use.

Have you experienced SS before?

I honestly thought it was a cold or flu but it's really just down to a headache at this point, but a damned mean one at that. And I'm not up on my chemistry like I used to be, but alprazolam is not an maoi correct?

I've never had serotonin syndrome, but I do know that it's a legit medical emergency when it happens - it's caused people to die before. The classic case that got in the media was a girl called Libby Zion who got dosed with pethidine (serotonin releasing narcotic) while nobody knew she was also taking a MAOI. She ended up dying from hyperthermia and multiple organ failure - nasty situation. But serotonin syndrome is that kind of nasty, it's really the type of thing where you woudn't be able to write a concerned forum post if you had it.

As a result, most people who are concerned they might have serotonin syndrome really end up to be worried about other things like panic attacks from comedowns - very few people fulfill the criteria of having a serotonin releasing drug AND something that stops the breakdown of serotonin. People who take antidepressants and MDMA are the exception.

Alprazolam is Xanax - a benzodiazepine.
MAOIs are monoamine oxidase inhibitors - like phenelzine or tranylcypromine, or harmine/harmaline - usually a strong type of antidepressant that is usually reserved when others fail.

I still think your case presents as a cold/flu coming on! None of the drugs you took can cause SS, either, especially when spaced apart on different dates - so rest easy :)

Thanks again sekio. I will rest easier tonight and report back in the AM.

No problem. With any luck it's just a 24-hour cold type thing that you'll get over quickly.

Sekio is wise. Ill just add SS is almost always a medical emergency because mild, early symptoms are hard to distinguish from other conditions even by doctors. By the time SS is being considered, the patient usually is in a bad state (altered mental status, jerking muscles sometimes followed by rigidity, high temperature ect). If by 6 or 8 hours after onset of symptoms you arent feeling sick and probably insane, you dont have SS. Hope you feel better.

I do not think you have serotonin syndrome. The only serotonin releasing drug that you mentioned taking was the tramadol. The doses of the tramadol you mentioned were fairly low as well given the duration of your recreation.

The other drugs should have no interactions that would risk you developing serotonin syndrome as they are not know to effect serotonin. Unless you are taking something like an ssri type drug that you forgot to mention in your post, my best educated guess is that you are going to be fine. Maybe you had a bit too much fun and your body is just trying to recover and return to baseline.

I think you are just psyching yourself out. Just try and relax. Hydrate, eat some good food, maybe take some multivitamins and try to get some good rest. You should be fine. I really doubt serotonin syndrome is a factor here.

Update:

It's the am and all symptoms I was feeling are gone other than the headache which is very persistent even after 400mg ibuprofen. But thanks to all who amswered. I'm going to continue the vitamins and non processed foods and hydration over the next few days, as I assume I'm dehydrated.

Again thank you all. Sometimes a Lil reassurance can put the mind at ease ✌