• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Am I being naive thinking now is the best time to taper?

sheehan

Greenlighter
Hello all -

I scrolled through the forums several times and couldn't decide where to post so hope this is the right place.

I've been on pretty heavy pain killers for a little over two years for medical reasons. Out of nowhere my symptoms ceased and MRI confirmed positive news so I requested to begin tapering off methadone.

Methadone to Zubslov timeline:

Took my last dose of 50mg methadone on 2.12.18 in the morning
I was prescribed Zubslov 5.7/1.4 BID on 2.14.18 - I went through withdraws for a couple of nights but started feeling like myself by 2.17.18
On 2.18.18 I noticed significant improvement and only took one dose from that point moving forward.

Fast forward to this week, I followed with my neurosurgeon and he stated it's best to keep me on this medication for a little while.

My Neurosurgeon made it seem that I'm fighting the inevitable but I refuse to believe it. I consulted a pain management doctor, who confirmed my fears and stated I would have to jump off zubslov at 2mg. Am I naive to think this is possible? I've read several taper schedules who claim to do this successfully.

Am I wrong in thinking it would be easier to get off this ASAP, as the methadone is not out of my system and I've only been on the antagonist for a short period of time?

That said, I would like to cut my dose in half tomorrow but wanted to receive feedback first. The last thing I want is to start feeling bad again. I'm so desperate to get my life back and want to stop taking medications I no longer need.

Please help me get my life back!

I do think that if you jump off now, it will be worse than if you continued the Zubsolv until the Methadone is out of your system, and then did a quick taper on the Zubsolv, down to 2mg before jumping off. I just wouldn't stay on the Zubsolv for longer than a couple/few weeks...as IMHO, the Naloxone can grab hold of your receptors pretty strongly, so that when it is no longer present in the brain, there is a dire response from the receptors - wanting that binding grip back, causing a severe withdrawal response. But, that's just how that shit works IME.

Hope that helps. Good luck "getting your life back"!!! :!