• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alternatives to Fentanyl Extended Release Patches

Nixiam

Bluelighter
So basically I have a mother who is chronically ill with a kidney disorder, and the only painkiller that has worked for her to take away only half of the pain is fent. Without getting into the specifics, sometimes the Pharm companies fuck up shipments, and blame manufacturers blahblahblah. It'd be great if there were other forms of Extended Release Fent, like maybe pill form? I know there is one called Fentanyl Buccal but I doubt its extended. I just feel helpless watching her ductape herself together (literally).

Thank you guys in advance, I can't seem to find anything. Oh, other simar medicine recommendations would be awesome too. <3

My dad uses fentynol patches as well, but sticks them on his shoulders where he sweats a lot less. They're effective, but on oily skin they don't stick well and elderly people sometimes have difficulty in putting them on without wrinkling. Maybe you should offer to do it for her on perhaps her back shoulder?
The patches from Johnson and Johnson stick well, but the off brands do not. J&J might offer a program to get them free. You should check into that. My dad gets his that way and it costs nothing.

They have instant release Fentanyl called Abstral.
They also have lollipops which I believe is instant release too.

Quick release kind of defeats the purpose of the fentynol patch, but for those who may want to use it as a quick release just cut a patch into about a quarter inch strip and swallow it.
Much to my shame that is exactly what I do with used patches and though I no longer look for the buzz (I just control pain) you can get a significant buzz swallowing fentynol patches. If you don't have the tolerance DO NOT EVEN TRY swallowing a full patch unless your goal is to take up residence in a box 6 feet under the ground..

The problem with the buccal or nasal or anything other than transdermal patches is they now really only give out for cancer pain. They have FDA mandated risk evaluation protocols in place and you sort of have to follow them. What else has she tried Nix?

As for pain killers she's tried bout all the opiates. Hydrocodone (not sure which name brand), Oxycontin 40mg, Tylenol 3, Percocet, Percodan, and thats about it. The only other thing I can think of for her to try is Morphine.

Unlike cancer, sadly, she cannot go into remission for this besides a kidney replacement.

Sucks, man. Sorry. Has she been through the whole pain managment thing? I mean there are others but I could list everything and be zero help because of course I have no idea of anything other than you said. But sometimes it is a matter of finding the right combo and thats what doctors get paid for.

Yeah man, the whole search for good pain management drugs is just so when she's out of fent, she doesn't have to feel like death.

I appreciate the input, Kitty. I cried when I saw the change in her today, she put on a patch and in two hours she was back to normal. I'm such a shitty son, but I'm trying to make sure she can be in as little pain as possible.

Our (my mother and I share a doctor) doctor says he may have a new way to cut her pain even more. Right now her pain is manageable, and she is doing much better than some. Our doc is actually a fucking gnius, he was able to time the use of her patches so there wouldn't be a bad time between patches (i.e. second dose).

Idk. If anybody else has an idea about what could help relax ro cut pain in organs like kidneys or maybe even muscles, that'd be great. If not, then I recommend just closing this thread, seeing that not much more can come of it.

-Regards.

Nixiam, is Ketobemidone available where your mother live? For my grandfather it has turned out the be the most effective medication for kidney pain. Ketobemidone can sometimes treat pain that other opioids can not. Unfortunately I don't think it is used much outside of Scandinavia. He have it in tablets and gets it in injections when the pain is severe.

Last edited: