• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alternatives to benzos for anxiety?

Phase- On reflection, what step are you on? Is this your first time working through the steps? Knowing enough program to more than get by, I wonder if you are on your 4th or 9th? If yes, maybe you need to do these in smaller chunks, or actively work on them ONLY with someone you trust actually there. Working your steps will help in the long run, but people often make it sound so difficult, or our lives were hoenstly bad off, these steps often terrify a person. They are not as bad as people make them sound, I often think that the people that share how horrible/hard they are should just be quit! They are a relief when finished, so don't let it stress you!

The Steps are a guide to not just get off drugs but to help you recognize what your individual issues are and to guide you to work through them. A counsellor can do wonders as they are trained to help clients work through their life issues. People in the program are helpful for identifying with so you don't feel alone in your struggles and joys. The more you work on you the better you will be and the less desirable drugs will be as you learn to live clean. But seriously talk to your doctor about being in recovery and the anxiety you are feeling. Fuck everyone's opinions they are like assholes... everyone has one. Follow your doctor's advice!

Hey Phase0. Probably the best treatment is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). There are plenty of good self help books out there. I would recommend that.

The "z" drugs like zolpidem, zopiclone and zaleplon have very similar effects, maybe even stronger. They are however very addictive like benzos and are often called "benzos in disguise". Zopiclone and zaleplon is probably the most similar to benzos IMO, zolpidem is less addictive (but still addictive) and has a lot of hallucinogenic properties.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. Currently I'm on step 2. I've worked my steps before and I've had sponsees so it's not like I'm new to it but this time I don't wanna half ass my steps. So I ended up not picking up and I made it through the night. Honestly I did take a lot of gabapentin and I feel like it kinda sent me into a manic state when I combined it with ephedrine. Already playing with fire but thankfully my desire to stay cleanand work a program is coming back. Only got 104 days clean so still in early recovery.

But I made an appointment with a psychiatrist soon and see what the doc thinks. Anxiety is still rough but I'm not skipping work or isolating. Thanks guys!

Working out, sex, therapy are your best options. Benzos are a short run band-aid fix to your problems, and most people who use them daily would be better off by getting real help and therapy instead of being a slave to the pills

Coming from someone who takes benzo's for heavy anxiety or insomnia

My GP prescribes beta blockers (propranolol) for physical symptoms of anxiety. Seems to help mental as well because of the lack of physical stuff. Maybe something to look in to.

Hey Phase0. Probably the best treatment is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). There are plenty of good self help books out there. I would recommend that.

Good idea! Also Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is amazing. It uses mindfulness to be more self aware of thoughts and how & why we react to certain triggers which can be anything from a particular smell or how something feels to certain words or situations. It could be useful to identify what situations cause you anxiety and then come up with some ideas to help deal with the stressor by self talk or doing something relaxing or that takes your mind off the stressor. I've found it really helpful dealing with anger issues, as well as counselling.

Propranolol, SSRIs, kratom, phenibut,
Exercise, try talk therapy it's just as effective at treating anxiety as drugs.

My GP prescribes beta blockers (propranolol) for physical symptoms of anxiety. Seems to help mental as well because of the lack of physical stuff. Maybe something to look in to.

For me these pills are good to come down from a stim arch, however they have absolutely nothing on any psychologically induced anxieties. But you get to bed faster and can jump over the brakes slammed, screeching tires, cold sweat orientations towards baseline. Which is comforting. That said, placebo is one helluva drug.

Propranolol, SSRIs, kratom, phenibut,
Exercise, try talk therapy it's just as effective at treating anxiety as drugs.

After my 20's, I for the first time could attest to exercise as actually having effects on most daily, problem-solving processes, in my life. Namely, I could conclude that the daily long dog walk always brought me on a gold platter new vectors and approaches to handle dead-end situations with the ex, bills, IT-hobby builder monster watercooled pc's (one does not 'simply install' a cooling loop on a new rig)

So agree on that. Walking has to activate some hormonal shifts in my organism - Occams Razor, and so.