• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alprazolam (Xanax) Tolerance Build-Up, Dangers, Pitfalls

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
So, I use alprazolam very sparingly. I use it as a tool for the following circumstances:
1. Rarely - as a come-down med from stims (like a night of X or cocaine use) - but I'm not a stimulant DOC man so this is rare (a few times a year, since I don't use E or coke very often)
2. More often as a comfort med to reduce anxiety and insomnia during opioid withdrawals (probably a few times a year)
3. Most often to combat insomnia (0.5-1mg once or twice a week max).

I don't use it recreationally because I find it has little rec value for me personally...it just makes me drowsy/sleepy.

I've always made sure to space out my doses my many days/weeks to avoid tolerance and dependence/withdrawal issues.

Which leaves me to wondering why after using so little, in such small doses, spaced apart so far, my tolerane has skyrocketed. It used to be that 0.5-1mg would put me to sleep.

Now I took 4mg and got the same effect as 1mg should give. To reiterate, I don't use this substance often. WTF is going on here?

> 3. Most often to combat insomnia (0.5-1mg once or twice a week max).

That's all it takes. Alprazolam is nasty stuff.

Thanks modoc, thats all I needed. I was starting to think the bars I was sourcing were counterfeits.

I've been on 2 year-long stints w/ Alprazolam when I was seeing a doctor for my anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. Both times I started out at .25mg, and less than a year after starting, my prescription was for 8mg a day (by the end I was consuming closer to 14mg a day). At the end of each stint, the anxiety and panic attacks were worse than they were before starting Alprazolam. Downregulation and cell desensitization are a bitch. Be careful. I had to do a very long detox in-patient at a hospital to get off it, still suffering from PAWS months after cessation. Worst withdrawal of any drug, period. I advise against continually bumping up dosage as tolerance builds.

Does anyone have any personal experience on how much abstinence will result in renewed tolerance? For example, if it is taking me 4mg to get the same effect that 0.5mg first gave me, can I take three months off (for instance) and be reset to the original tolerance?

Or is the change in the neural architecture permanent?

Anyone, from experience? In the meantime, I'm going to shelve my bars and find some other, non benzo solution to anything that might come up and see what happens in 90 or so days.

Before daily use it took 0,5mg to get decent sleep when I had insomnia but after using daily for a year and having not used for over two years at all it takes about 1mg to get same effect for insomnia at start and after two or three nights it will take 2mg even if I currently use it for maximum of five days and four times a year when cycling through other sleep aids.

It seems like it won't revert to a baseline tolerance at all as it is with opiates too.

Aw man, that's bad news. Thanks for your experience report though, Root.

Yeah, we'll shelve these for a while. I definitely don't want to experience benzo w/d either.

Does anyone have any personal experience on how much abstinence will result in renewed tolerance? For example, if it is taking me 4mg to get the same effect that 0.5mg first gave me, can I take three months off (for instance) and be reset to the original tolerance?

Or is the change in the neural architecture permanent?

Anyone, from experience? In the meantime, I'm going to shelve my bars and find some other, non benzo solution to anything that might come up and see what happens in 90 or so days.

benzo tolerance does reset itself all in due time
taking a break like a few months worth should lower your tolerance
but if you are taking 4mg daily which is a hefty dose you might risk WD if you suddenly stop

I got up to 4mg doses each time I dosed, bit I usually only took it once to maybe three times a week max, always with a few days between at least.

It was easy to do because they are non recreational to me.

dude just don't do what I did. I am tapering now...I am down to 7mg and it is so fucking noticeable. It is like an oppressive force in the room. I have a lot of benzos on hand including some zdrugs. but I gotta be strong. The medicine is no longer working and I only get bad effects when I dont take it.

Xanax withdrawal is terrible. I'm sure heroin withdrawal is worse, but that is a road I am not planning on traveling.

Switch to Valium /diazepam and try a long slow taper. Xanax was fun for me, and I used it stupidly/recreationally. It's faster-acting than Valium, and leaves the body faster, thus the terrible withdrawal.

dude just don't do what I did. I am tapering now...I am down to 7mg and it is so fucking noticeable. It is like an oppressive force in the room. I have a lot of benzos on hand including some zdrugs. but I gotta be strong. The medicine is no longer working and I only get bad effects when I dont take it.

Thanks for the warning, chef. It's been a couple days since I put them aside and I don't feel anything other than the (very minor) paws from my most recent opioid detox. I'm so glad that BL is here for me and got the warnings I needed...

And I hope your tapering efforts work so that you can get back down to a reasonable dose level that doesn't leave you in danger of seizure/death if you suddenly don't have your meds one day...