• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam (Xanax) ? Kindling

Ye, maybe I'm a little addicted to it? Maybe. just not addicted to a point when i ruin my life.. Hmmm but thanks alot once again for answering my thread.

I apologize. There is a distinct difference between the two (often simultaneous) concepts of addiction and dependence. Addiction is an intense psychological attraction to and longing for something like sex, gambling or drugs. Dependence means that, in reference solely to drugs, that the body has become accustomed to having certain level of a certain drug present within it and this ongoing presence has actually caused the body to adjust itself to operate normally despite the continued exposure. As you might imagine, when your body is dependent upon something like a powerful psychoactive drug, a sudden withdrawal of this drug is often enough to cause a severe set of physiological and psychological symptoms of a negative nature.

So, in the end, whether you were addicted to the substance or not, you were still dependent upon it, even if if was only to a minor degree, but you are correct, I can't just go around calling people drug addicts. That is something that they and only they can technically come to terms with, although may around them may make frequent accusations and by nearly-objective standards, they may indeed be addicted.

No need to apologize , everyone addicted to something anyway..

Would 11 days cold turkey off of Xanax/Valium be enough to finish withdrawals for the most part? I ran out benzos 12 days ago but came up on 8 mgs of Xanax yesterday and took 1 mg.

I honestly felt like 80-85% better on day 11 but I?m not sure if I was convincing myself that. Am I hindering myself a lot and going backwards in withdrawal by taking that 1 mg? Also what?s the general rule of thumb for the amount of days benzo withdrawals take ? Like opiates it?s 3-7 days for the peak and 7-14 for PAWS but idk much about benzos, thanks

Would 11 days cold turkey off of Xanax/Valium be enough to finish withdrawals for the most part? I ran out benzos 12 days ago but came up on 8 mgs of Xanax yesterday and took 1 mg.

I honestly felt like 80-85% better on day 11 but I?m not sure if I was convincing myself that. Am I hindering myself a lot and going backwards in withdrawal by taking that 1 mg? Also what?s the general rule of thumb for the amount of days benzo withdrawals take ? Like opiates it?s 3-7 days for the peak and 7-14 for PAWS but idk much about benzos, thanks

How many days in a row you pop a xanax or valium? And what amount?
The withdrawals timeline of benzos that i saw on Internet was .. peaks on week 2 and fades untill week 4. Paws 3—6 months.

This is the image that i saw about withdrawals.

https://goo.gl/images/GaFGGc
GaFGGc

For me this didnt happen..it was only 2weeks and its over.
Just dont pop another benzo..let the withdrawals go away..recover some good months.. Its my opinion.

Last edited:
Following this thread because, until last night, I'd never heard of kindling.

Kindling is a BxTCH , i saw horror stories about this in some other forums where people talk about benzo addictions and withdrawals..

That is why i needed to ask some questions about this ..

If you have some questions to ask. I can try answer them with the knowledge i got from everything i have read.

I started my own thread, because of the diarrhea issues I'm having and didn't want to hijack your thread!

So if i wait 2 months or more, can i use benzos for 1 time per month? I really like to have no worries, my head think to much...and xanax does Wonders...

I wont do benzos days in a row like i used to do...

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Honestly, its hard to say. I was dependant on benzos for about three years and tapered slowly . . . Huge withdrawal still.

Anyway, I didn't take benzos for maybe 4 years and experienced pretty intense withdrawal after 1.5weeks on valium. Albeit much shorter but very intense panic amd depression for seveal weeks.

It's not worth it imo.

Last edited:
I'm sure you've probably heard this already, but using benzos sporadically is a bad idea if you were ever physically dependent on them. Every GABAergic I've gotten addicted to, stopped using, and then months down the road decided to take a one off dose to take care of something for some reason, I've ended up back in daily dosing withing a reasonably short ammnt of time. Worst case is the one off dose doesn't give you any rebound/withdrawal symptoms, so using it occasionally is ok. In my experience, I've never been able to manage occasional use of a drug I already had a physical dependency to. It's just easier to talk yourself right back into daily dosing. We are very good at convincing ourselves.

As far as kindling, you might be able to handle more than a few times before squirming. Maybe more. Problem is no one can tell you, and you wont know until you're uncomfortable. And chances are if you do start taking it, you will eventually find that dose or ammount of times that brings back withdrawal symptoms, and once that starts, all bets are off. I'd try to use something different

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Honestly, its hard to say. I was dependant on benzos for about three years and tapered slowly . . . Huge withdrawal still.

Anyway, I didn't take benzos for maybe 4 years and experienced pretty intense withdrawal after 1.5weeks on valium. Albeit much shorter but very intense panic amd depression for seveal weeks.

It's not worth it imo.

But did you use high amounts of valium? Just to know...but your withdrawl after 1.5weeks were obny panic and depression? U didnt have nausea or other symptoms?

In 3years u were using what dose ? Sorry to ask you alot i just want to make my head clear..

Last edited:
I'm sure you've probably heard this already, but using benzos sporadically is a bad idea if you were ever physically dependent on them. Every GABAergic I've gotten addicted to, stopped using, and then months down the road decided to take a one off dose to take care of something for some reason, I've ended up back in daily dosing withing a reasonably short ammnt of time. Worst case is the one off dose doesn't give you any rebound/withdrawal symptoms, so using it occasionally is ok. In my experience, I've never been able to manage occasional use of a drug I already had a physical dependency to. It's just easier to talk yourself right back into daily dosing. We are very good at convincing ourselves.

As far as kindling, you might be able to handle more than a few times before squirming. Maybe more. Problem is no one can tell you, and you wont know until you're uncomfortable. And chances are if you do start taking it, you will eventually find that dose or ammount of times that brings back withdrawal symptoms, and once that starts, all bets are off. I'd try to use something different
I think i can do it occasionally..i wont go with withdrawals again...one time is enough to see that i cant abuse on benzos.

And i only abused it in a short period of time... And didnt get hardcore withdrawals like some unlucky people had.. =/

And what makes me think...is that will I be able to be drunk sometimes? Alcohol works on gaba aswell..

Last edited:
I think i can do it occasionally..i wont go with withdrawals again...one time is enough to see that i cant abuse on benzos.

And i only abused it in a short period of time... And didnt get hardcore withdrawals like some unlucky people had.. =/

And what makes me think...is that will I be able to be drunk sometimes? Alcohol works on gaba aswell..

Alcohol is the same and different. Drinking while detoxing from benzos will set you back, and alcohol dependence is almost the same symptoms. BUT I feel like drinking thakes much longer to catch a dependency than the benzos, And alcool acts on GABA B where most benzos are GABA A agonists. IDK, I may be explaining that wrong. I think you wouldn't have a problem with occasional drinking, but it is possible. Alcohol gives you hangovers and seems to have additional down stream effects that make it different than pharma benzos. But I may be wrong, and if you had a big enough GABAergic habit alcohol could very well bring back withdrawal and work with the kindling effect.

Since you only abused over a short period, any kindling effect should be minimal, but it might not be. And its not that I think the kindling will get you into immediate daily dosing, just that using a drug you were once addicted to and used daily is a bad idea. If the kindling effect is small or not present, I could see that getting rolled into a justification to use more often, and that you have more control, which are both dangerous illusions. If you use Sat and Sun, and then experience no ill effects, then at the end of next weekend you might think "last weekend went fine, and I feel like I need a boost so using on Monday too probably wont hurt either", rinse and repeat until youre doing it daily.

And withdrawal will rarely be sufficient to keep us users out of use. Every withdrawal I've had has gotten more and more miserable and extreme. I've always said FUCK "I never want to do this again so I'll never use again", but then the thoughts that "once" is fine, three times a week but spaced out is fine, every day this week but none next week is fine, every day but starting to taper is fine, then you're back to being fully addicted. I always forget and neglect to worry about new withdrawals because in my head I wont have any at all, because I think I've mastered my mind and body and will be able to stop before withdrawals become a problem.

Happens to me each time

Alcohol is the same and different. Drinking while detoxing from benzos will set you back, and alcohol dependence is almost the same symptoms. BUT I feel like drinking thakes much longer to catch a dependency than the benzos, And alcool acts on GABA B where most benzos are GABA A agonists. IDK, I may be explaining that wrong. I think you wouldn't have a problem with occasional drinking, but it is possible. Alcohol gives you hangovers and seems to have additional down stream effects that make it different than pharma benzos. But I may be wrong, and if you had a big enough GABAergic habit alcohol could very well bring back withdrawal and work with the kindling effect.

Since you only abused over a short period, any kindling effect should be minimal, but it might not be. And its not that I think the kindling will get you into immediate daily dosing, just that using a drug you were once addicted to and used daily is a bad idea. If the kindling effect is small or not present, I could see that getting rolled into a justification to use more often, and that you have more control, which are both dangerous illusions. If you use Sat and Sun, and then experience no ill effects, then at the end of next weekend you might think "last weekend went fine, and I feel like I need a boost so using on Monday too probably wont hurt either", rinse and repeat until youre doing it daily.

And withdrawal will rarely be sufficient to keep us users out of use. Every withdrawal I've had has gotten more and more miserable and extreme. I've always said FUCK "I never want to do this again so I'll never use again", but then the thoughts that "once" is fine, three times a week but spaced out is fine, every day this week but none next week is fine, every day but starting to taper is fine, then you're back to being fully addicted. I always forget and neglect to worry about new withdrawals because in my head I wont have any at all, because I think I've mastered my mind and body and will be able to stop before withdrawals become a problem.

Happens to me each time

I know exactly what you are trying to say... If i try to pop 1mg and i dont feel withdrawals could lead me to using it more often...

This is why i want to talk about this ... To make my mind think straight and learn with people who did the same mistakes.

When i was a lil younger i abused on lsd, speed, mdma, shoorms alcohol and weed. I was in a point where i was capable of doing all of this in 1 day for 7days in a row... The result was huge comedown that i needed to go to hospital.. my axienty came from drug abuse..

I want to learn how to enjoy a "reward" for my work/studies plus axienty with some xanax ... To relax myself..and stop worry about stupid things..
I feel kinda of sad why i didnt read first about how benzos work before i had withdrawals.

Can you tell me how much withdrawals you went with benzos?

Following this thread because, until last night, I'd never heard of kindling.

Kindling in the classic sense refers to seizures and how subsequent ones occur more easily. It was then noted that heavy binge drinkers developed issues with severe hangovers that were more easily triggered with continued drinking.

It has now been used to describe the protracted and severe withdrawals from different types of sedatives, mainly benzos. Take a peek for a rundown ~Kindling~

Repeated benzodiazepine withdrawal episodes may result in similar neuronal kindling as that seen after repeated withdrawal episodes from alcohol, with resultant increased neuro-excitability. The glutamate system is believed to play an important role in this kindling phenomenon with AMPA receptors which are a subtype of glutamate receptors being altered by repeated withdrawals from benzodiazepines. The changes which occur after withdrawal in AMPA receptors in animals have been found in regions of the brain which govern anxiety and seizure threshold; thus kindling may result in increased severity of anxiety and a lowered seizure threshold during repeated withdrawal. Changes in the glutamate system and GABA system may play an important role at different time points during benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.