• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam (Xanax) ? Kindling

PurpleDANK

Greenlighter
I used 2mg of Xanax daily for 2 weeks. I had 2/3 weeks of withdrawals.
My question is...Can i use 1mg of Alprazolam one time per month? I'm scared about the kindling effect. I did search about it but i want some benzos users to answer my question.

Have a nice day

IMO it would depend how long you've been using total, how much you plan on using once a month and how well you rebound from taking it on sporadic occasions. I know that's a very spotty answer but it's really difficult to place a 'one size fit's all' amount on what it takes to cause the kindling effect in different individuals.

Personally I'm good for two days in a row, once every week and a half or so @ 1mg. While some can be quite sensitive to one mg a month I don't find it to be troubling myself. I would pay close attention to how you feel the following few days after sporadic use to come up with an answer that's right for you though. I've always felt that kindling kind of applied to several days of use min tbh.

Welcome to BL:)

I recently was about 2 months clean of benzos after a 6 month long taper off a high dose of clonazepam.
I was in the same position, wanting to take benzos very sporadically to help with my gabapentin withdrawal.

it took about 2 weeks to muster up the courage to actually try one, first day I took about 2mg lorazepam + 1 mg clonazepam and was just fine after the 3rd day. second time (3-5 days later) I took 1mg lorazepam and 30 mg. temazepam....... still felt out withdrawal wise but had absolutely horrid sleep rebound. 3 days after my last dose and I still wasn't sleeping at all, but no withdrawals. that should have been my warning. third time I took lorazepam a couple days afterwards maybe 3-4mg and woke up immediately sick. play carefully. I'm not sure if my situation was because kindling or if I didn't wait long enough after stopping klonazepam. im guessing the latter, although I was 2 months clean my taper ended at 0.5, which still being a rapid drop can have some PAWS effects for a while . considering this is your first withdrawal with Xanax I wouldn't worry too much, psychosomatic withdrawal is very real. but also make sure to give yourself enough time to recover before attempting...and make SURE you're not gonna Benzo redose while intoxicated........... seriously hahah. best of luck

My last Xanax use as 1month ago, so i only have 2weeks without withdrawals (First 2weeks was withdrawals). So maybe i need to recover more time before i try to pop 1mg of Xanax??

Thanks alot for your answers it helped me alot. Im new here and dunkno how to make mentions haha

My last Xanax use as 1month ago, so i only have 2weeks without withdrawals (First 2weeks was withdrawals). So maybe i need to recover more time before i try to pop 1mg of Xanax??

Thanks alot for your answers it helped me alot. Im new here and dunkno how to make mentions haha

xanax is shorter acting and doesnt build up in your body the same was clonazepam does, but I would definitely wait another month or so at least. I know you wanna take one but if you wake up with withdrawals the chances of you immediately reinstating in daily use are almost for sure and THEN you'll have to worry about kindle.

Random question that pertains to this topic:
I used Valium and Xanax for a few months and decided to quit. I would usually take 2-3 mgs Xanax for the first few months, tapered down to 1 mgs Xanax or 10-15 mgs Valium and kept that for about 2 weeks.
After that I tapered down to 5 mgs Valium for 4-5 days, followed by 4 days of 2.5 mgs Valium daily, followed by 2 days of 0.25 mgs Xanax daily.
After the 2 days of 0.25 mgs Xanax I ran out of benzos and now it?s the start of day 8 without any benzos at all.

Question is, the first 4-5 days were pretty unpleasant. Today is the first day I?m feeling better than I have since the cold turkey started, but still not 100% not even 80%...

Based on my low dosages and the fact that I haven?t taken any in 8 days, how much longer do benzo withdrawals typically last?
When can I expect to start feeling substantially better? Any answer will help thanks

xanax is shorter acting and doesnt build up in your body the same was clonazepam does, but I would definitely wait another month or so at least. I know you wanna take one but if you wake up with withdrawals the chances of you immediately reinstating in daily use are almost for sure and THEN you'll have to worry about kindle.

I don't know where to quote from. The kindling effect, if it exists for OP or whomever, effects some amount of people.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with another benzo habbit atm. Stay clean for a while and see how that goes, IMO.

If you used to have a real habit, them quit, then take any benzo, you risk tickling some truly abusive levels on accident, IMO.

I don't I have proven it to myself and doctors. I still don't take the addiction risk lightly.

Person B on the other hand may go full back to addiction from just the taste or feeling.

I would take a real break before (if you must) trying again.

If you use, pick a working dose and stick with it. raising your dose is worthless. Be wise.

I used 2mg of Xanax daily for 2 weeks. I had 2/3 weeks of withdrawals.
My question is...Can i use 1mg of Alprazolam one time per month? I'm scared about the kindling effect. I did search about it but i want some benzos users to answer my question.

Have a nice day

I'm assuming you shouldn't resume using alprazolam if you went through withdrawal.

If one time per month actually means one single time per month, than the kindling effect in regard to sedative/hypnotic drugs should not come into play. If you can't control this usage or limit it to that once-monthly usage, you are looking at experiencing what the Kindling effect was named for. It's a bitch.

I wont make xanax habbit no more. I will just 1mg in rare ocasions. I wont fall for another withdrawals from benzos. Hell naaaaaw.
Thanks for all your answers.

If one time per month actually means one single time per month, than the kindling effect in regard to sedative/hypnotic drugs should not come into play. If you can't control this usage or limit it to that once-monthly usage, you are looking at experiencing what the Kindling effect was named for. It's a bitch.

I think that is pretty much spot on. Really, kindling refers to repeat bouts of withdrawal, not repeat binges per se. Its not a factor if your usage is reasonable.

OP, from my own experience, if I use benzo's for two weeks, I am in for a world of horrible difficultty, and it doesn't appear to matter if there are two months or two years in between withdrawal expriences. I effectively cannot use benzos, which isn't such a terrible thing anyhow. 2 weeks after your withdrawal is too soon, and even a few small doses is likely to entail some degree of rebound discomfort. The brains primary inhibitory system is incredible sensitive to modification- I truly think benzos are best avoided unless absolutely needed.

I think that is pretty much spot on. Really, kindling refers to repeat bouts of withdrawal, not repeat binges per se. Its not a factor if your usage is reasonable.

OP, from my own experience, if I use benzo's for two weeks, I am in for a world of horrible difficultty, and it doesn't appear to matter if there are two months or two years in between withdrawal expriences. I effectively cannot use benzos, which isn't such a terrible thing anyhow. 2 weeks after your withdrawal is too soon, and even a few small doses is likely to entail some degree of rebound discomfort. The brains primary inhibitory system is incredible sensitive to modification- I truly think benzos are best avoided unless absolutely needed.

So if i wait 2 months or more, can i use benzos for 1 time per month? I really like to have no worries, my head think to much...and xanax does Wonders...

I wont do benzos days in a row like i used to do...

Last edited:
Well the kindling effect won't ever go away and it seems like you might be trying to justify occasional use, for which there really is no justification. I would recommend dropping it now before it leads to more issues. The way you are trying to incorporate it into your life, even only once a month, should be a red flag that you might not be able to control your use. Hope you are doing better and figure out a way forward.

I think it's possible to use it responsibly and not experience withdrawal. Just saying.

Why a red flag if im educating myself about using it without harm myself to much? If the kindling only happens if I abuse on them and get withdrawals from it... if i recover myself for a good time, and pop a xanax in rare ocasions , i think in this way i wont get the kindling effect.

I think it's possible to use it responsibly and not experience withdrawal. Just saying.

That's pretty much what I had to say. So long as the user doesn't re-indulge in any kind of consecutive usage, than they shouldn't experience Kindling-mediated withdrawal. I must say though, if one has been addicted to a substance before, the desire to use "one more time" or "occasionally" or "on the weekends" is a near-universal phenomenon and if there was previously a severe addiction, it's unlikely that the user will have any luck trying to pull this off. But, I agree completely with Captain Heroin "It's Possible".

That's pretty much what I had to say. So long as the user doesn't re-indulge in any kind of consecutive usage, than they shouldn't experience Kindling-mediated withdrawal. I must say though, if one has been addicted to a substance before, the desire to use "one more time" or "occasionally" or "on the weekends" is a near-universal phenomenon and if there was previously a severe addiction, it's unlikely that the user will have any luck trying to pull this off. But, I agree completely with Captain Heroin "It's Possible".
I can't be called addicted to it, i just used in wrong way because i didnt have the information about benzos before. =/

I apologize. There is a distinct difference between the two (often simultaneous) concepts of addiction and dependence. Addiction is an intense psychological attraction to and longing for something like sex, gambling or drugs. Dependence means that, in reference solely to drugs, that the body has become accustomed to having certain level of a certain drug present within it and this ongoing presence has actually caused the body to adjust itself to operate normally despite the continued exposure. As you might imagine, when your body is dependent upon something like a powerful psychoactive drug, a sudden withdrawal of this drug is often enough to cause a severe set of physiological and psychological symptoms of a negative nature.

So, in the end, whether you were addicted to the substance or not, you were still dependent upon it, even if if was only to a minor degree, but you are correct, I can't just go around calling people drug addicts. That is something that they and only they can technically come to terms with, although may around them may make frequent accusations and by nearly-objective standards, they may indeed be addicted.