• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam Taper, Does This Sound Right?

noflers

Bluelighter
Told the doctor I've consumed 350mg of alprazolam in the last 60 days with of/ on use of benzos for a while before that. By the grace of witch craft, they decided an outpatient taper with diazepam was suitable. Also, I made it clear I didn't want to do inpatient detox/taper.

They averaged my use to 4mg alp per day. But in reality, by the end of it all I was doing 6-8mg per day.

Problem is, they started me on 40mg diazepam per day. That's 1 in the morning and 1 every 4-6 hours. By their standards 10 to 1 is equivalent. But every where I look the equivalent dose is more like 15-20 to 1.

I'm definitely noticing the drop in medication today.

In situations where doctors are brought in to help with dangerous benzo WD, they are going to keep you from having seizures, but def not comfortable. If you low balled the amount that you told him vs what you actually used, now would be the time to discuss that with him.

I'm not comfortable like I was when I was on the alp, but I'm not completely uncomfortable so I think I'll stick it out. I assume they'll drop 5mg after this first 10 day script. Then 10% per week, or 5mg per week decrease. I think I'll survive, but I might ask for some promethazine and maybe gabapentin if it starts ro get too uncomfortable.

i've found it's possible to make huge drops at the beginning of a taper, with both opiates and benzos. especially with short acting benzos like xanax. i've been at 6mgs a day as well, but that's certainly not where i established my base for the taper. that would take forever. it's usually the end that sucks, no matter where you started from. like if they do it by 5mg instead of 10 percent, going from 10mg to 5mg and from 5mg to 0 is gonna hurt. it's gonna hurt no matter what. if you find out that what's gonna happen, i'd squirrel some away so you can go from 10 to 7.5 and from 5 to 2.5mg. i drop off a 2.5mgs and even from there it sucks if you've been using for a while. two months with on/off before hand isn't terrible. especially if you haven't been seriously dependent (like years of daily) on them before. though you let your dose get pretty high before deciding to quit -- happens.

don't drink coffee. don't drink alcohol.

best

Last edited:
No, many months of benzos of all different types before i started with this massive amount of alp.

I could have swore they had 2mg valium, or maybe I'm thinking of morphine.

I'll talk to the doc when it comes time to see if he'll just prescribe the 5's that i can split in half myself.

I am incapable of squirelling them away. Yesterday i had a massive panic attack so i took an additional 20mg's which hardly helped.

The uncomfortable level is increasing daily. Massive mood swings, crying for no reason, headache, tremors, etc.

I'm honestly pissed that they thought 40mg a day was gonna cut it. But I swore i wouldn't ask for more. But i will ask for some promethazine, and gabapentin, maybe clonodine as well. Is there anything else that can help that isn't a benzo?

I want the fuck out of this. I'm a fucking idiot for getting into it. Guess the only thing to be happy about is that the dark web wasn't around when i was on H, I'd surely be dead by now.

I finally feel the withdrawal from the alp is over and I'm fully into the diazepam taper. This week the doctor kept me at 40mg per day. I've been taking only 30mg because I ate extra during the alp withdrawl. And gave some to my very recent ex, whom i still live with and plan to until either one or both of us are stable with our mental health. As corny as it sounds, she is my best friend and i want to make damn sure she's okay.

Anyway, they want me on 40mg, but i feel fine with 30mg. Like they were insistent on starting and saying at 40mg for at least another week, so my body can be fully dependant on diazepam instead of alp. I think I'll compromise and go with 35mg.

Did i mention I've been on bupropion for about three weeks now? Well, I feel like its working wonders. And the doctor wants to stop that.

Normally i take my full days dose at wake up. But i think if i split it into two separate doses, one at wake up and one in the late afternoon, I'll have an easier time sleeping. As it stands I go to sleep around 3am and wake up at about 7am 8 at the latest. Then i dose.

For those that don't know, you build a tolerance to benzos very quickly if you abuse them. You literally just dont get high any more after some time. So dosing is simply to keep me alive at this point.

I also feel like diazepam is the worst when it comes to short term memory. I forget what I'm talking about mid sentence on this shit. Or I'll be asking a question, and when they are answering I have to ask them what they're responding to because i forgot. No other benzo does this. It's melting my brain. Do tou think they would fo dor switching me to clonazepam? I know its not as long lasting, but sgill better than xanax. In the beginning they gave a me a choice between clonaz and diaz. I chose diazepam because of the incredible half life, but don't appreciate the side effects. Dry mf mouth too. I just don't know if they'll switch now that im started with the diazepam.

Also, i disagree with my original statement. Starting at 40mg daily for the taper was fine. I do wish i had 60 daily while i was transitioning out of the alp. But 40 is fine. Hell, 30 even seems doable.

Mods: if there is a better place for this thread please move it. Because I'm now ranting and this isn't really an HR thread anymore. 'Dont do benzos, period, kids'

I'm down to 30mg per day now. Been six days since the drop from 35mg to 30mg.

I really want to take just 20mg tomorrow and see how it goes. 10 in the morning and 10mg in the evening. I normally take it all at once, but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference.

Anyone have thoughts on that? What should I watch out for, in terms of physiologically? Yes I can do a Google search, but I want stories.

^Are you concerned about seizures? I don't think you'll experience any from that sort of reduction...

Dropping by that amount is roughly 30%, a considerable jump tbh. Is there a reason you want to to this? With diazepam, the half life means that withdrawal is generally not felt for a few days so if this is just a one off thing to test the waters, I actually don't think you'll experience too much for one day.

That said, it's probably not the best idea to flirt with benzo withdrawal; it gets notably worse the more often you experience it. I think one gets sensitized to the more subtle effects and you inadvertently emphasise and exageratte them.

I'm not comfortable like I was when I was on the alp, but I'm not completely uncomfortable so I think I'll stick it out. I assume they'll drop 5mg after this first 10 day script. Then 10% per week, or 5mg per week decrease. I think I'll survive, but I might ask for some promethazine and maybe gabapentin if it starts ro get too uncomfortable.

I don't know if you did this, but I should say that I found promethazine to enhance and worsen some of the physical aspects of benzo withdrawal- notably the restlessness, the parathesia and weird, loopy thoughts. Gabapentin or pregabalin otoh are more effective but they have their own addiction risks too.

All the best ❤

I've had gabapentin before for heroin withdrawl. Let's just say, it doesn't do a damn thing. Thanks for the promethazine caution.

I have never experienced benzo withdrawl, so I guess I've got that going for me. The worst I've experienced was the transition from xanax to valium, and tbh it seemed like GI issues were the only problem. But it's also quite likely my diet was causing it. I was able to consume 2500 calories yesterday :) (I don't think I've gone into the intermittent nausea and lack of appetite for two years)

I do realize it will take more than just today to feel the effects. So, with that being said, if I notice tomorrow that I'm having withdrawl symptoms will taking an additional 5mg ease that? Or will the metabolites have dropped too far by then?

And I don't remember if it was a question or what, but I want this taper over with asap because, well I just want off the benzos asap. I want to be able to have some beers with friends. I want to want to go out for some beers with friends.

If I do show withdrawl symptoms, how long should I expect them to last? 2 days, 4 days, 1 week, until my next scheduled reduction?

Op, part of the reason the last bit sucks, is the drops in the beginning. Take a little time here, just be productive. The timing of the dose of xanax, you can find somewhere else, but, that timing figures into your taper. Set bigger drops per week. You brain is used to so much. You cut that off to fit, it may cause complications.

Two years ago I cold turkey'd from 8mg of Alprazolam a day. It took roughly 7-10 days to feel completely normal but I would NOT recommend it as it was the worst week of my life, I genuinely thought I was dying. By day 5 the worst of the symptoms start to disappear and it takes a further 2 days for all the symptoms to subside. This may vary from person to person. Now I'm back on benzos but Clonazepam this time! I'm not gonna cold turkey this time as that shit can cause PTSD! I'm gonna do an 8 week taper on Clonazepam. Hope everything is okay with you! Keep it up!

noflers said:
I do realize it will take more than just today to feel the effects. So, with that being said, if I notice tomorrow that I'm having withdrawl symptoms will taking an additional 5mg ease that? Or will the metabolites have dropped too far by then?

5mg will most likely ease things up to some extent. Ime with diazepam, the withdrawal from reduction can peak anywhere from 2-5 days after cutting...

And I don't remember if it was a question or what, but I want this taper over with asap because, well I just want off the benzos asap. I want to be able to have some beers with friends. I want to want to go out for some beers with friends

Understandable indeed, I fully support the idea. As I said, benzos are depressing and demotivating and there is something shitty about going through life sedated and drugged.

If I do show withdrawl symptoms, how long should I expect them to last? 2 days, 4 days, 1 week, until my next scheduled reduction?

For me, the withdrawal would last for about 7-10 days...which sounds like a long time, and is if you cut too rapidly. If you stick to a slow taper, you should mainly feel some discomfort which shouldn't be too intense. It does seem different to everyone though- my own experience was incredibly difficult even with a slow taper but the extenuating factors for me were epilepsy and poly drug abuse.

Feel free to message or pose any further questions mate :)

Op, part of the reason the last bit sucks, is the drops in the beginning. Take a little time here, just be productive. The timing of the dose of xanax, you can find somewhere else, but, that timing figures into your taper. Set bigger drops per week. You brain is used to so much. You cut that off to fit, it may cause complications.

I'm not sure I'm picking up on this correctly. But are you saying large daily dose drops in the beginning of the taper is what makes the small drops harder at the end? And what exactly are you meaning with the timing?

there is something shitty about going through life sedated and drugged.

Absofuckinglutely. Makes me wanna cry.

I decided taking only 20mg (33% reduction) yesterday wasn't the best idea, so I took 25mg. And i think in another 5-6 days I'll drop it to 20mg daily. That will be the point when my scheduled taper is supposed to be at 25mg.

I was expecting about 30 days of withdrawl when this is done. If it really is only 7-10 days, then i met just cut from 5mg daily to 0, when rhe time comes.

i'm stuck on about 4 x 12 mg bromazepam a day. quiting completely seems impossible after three tries. if you want to lower your benzo tolerance you will need a sufficient substitute.
most medication doesn't work well or at all on me but i'm sure you could find something sedating that helps, i use trazodone and seroquel and alcohol and now and then grapefruit juice.

i will try to get of benzos completely with types of dissociatives. it's worth a try. but i need depakine for my epilepsy which can happen if you quit your benzo dose to quik. i see the vibrations of everything much clearer when i am close to having a seizure, or when i watch a television. so be safe. quitting completely after 12 years like me is impossible without substitutes.

maybe zolpidem, or pregabalin, or even certain anti-psychotics, anything sedating should basicly help replace a calm feeling while you build down your benzo tolerance. there is no such thing as quitting cold turkey when it comes to this. hyperventilation, isolation, panick attacks, the impossibility to search for help, being to scared to speak or eat, etc.

you need a replacement when you try to lower your dose. There is no other way, look and see what alternatives work for you.

I simply mean an adjustment is happening inside your brain. This might be easy for you. i'm just saying taking your time and not going super heavy with the beginning of the taper, might ease some other part of the taper a bit. It's all adjustment. your brain don't care for rapid tapers (at least mine don't), so a slightly gentler taper will help stuff adjust better throughout. you can handle it.

Sounds like you're gonna have a helluva time getting off that. Aeon, so far I've been doing just fine without a "replacement". Once I am down to 10mg daily or maybe even 5, I'll start cutting down by 2.5mg, then 1.25 (I've got a plan) maybe at the very end, a decent muscle relaxer would be good, not gabapentin, or is that a nerve relaxer? Ooh well, i can rude whatever it is it

Zolpidem, as I am a poly addict, I used to shoot that. Talk about instant weird. Delirium etc...

I do have a question about the seizure aspect of the benzo withdrawl. Will I notice the other symptoms like tremors and whatnot before a seizure comes on? Or can a seizure just come out of nowhere even if I feel fine?

It's not the sickness that worries me. I've cold turky'd heroin and every other opiod you can think of. Its the seizures I'm worried about. Maybe I could get the doc to write me a script of one of the lame barbiturates like phenobarbital or something...

Told the doctor I've consumed 350mg of alprazolam in the last 60 days with of/ on use of benzos for a while before that. By the grace of witch craft, they decided an outpatient taper with diazepam was suitable. Also, I made it clear I didn't want to do inpatient detox/taper.

They averaged my use to 4mg alp per day. But in reality, by the end of it all I was doing 6-8mg per day.

Problem is, they started me on 40mg diazepam per day. That's 1 in the morning and 1 every 4-6 hours. By their standards 10 to 1 is equivalent. But every where I look the equivalent dose is more like 15-20 to 1.

I'm definitely noticing the drop in medication today.

I recommend you look up the Ashton Manual from Dr Ashton, the world renowned expert on Xanax and benzo withdrawal. She has made all the calculations for using equivalent doses of Diazepam (a lot easier to get on scripts) to successfully withdraw safely from Alprazolam dependency. It can take months, or weeks, it depends on your own situation and severity of dependency, but I highly recommend reading Ashton Manual and following the steps she established in her clinical practice..it's worked for many many people.

Sounds like you're gonna have a helluva time getting off that. Aeon, so far I've been doing just fine without a "replacement". Once I am down to 10mg daily or maybe even 5, I'll start cutting down by 2.5mg, then 1.25 (I've got a plan) maybe at the very end, a decent muscle relaxer would be good, not gabapentin, or is that a nerve relaxer? Ooh well, i can rude whatever it is it

Zolpidem, as I am a poly addict, I used to shoot that. Talk about instant weird. Delirium etc...

I do have a question about the seizure aspect of the benzo withdrawl. Will I notice the other symptoms like tremors and whatnot before a seizure comes on? Or can a seizure just come out of nowhere even if I feel fine?

I have had 2 or 3 seizures, 1 was grand mal seizure that left me conscious for 4-5 hours and resulted in an emergency stay at hospital because after I came too my short-term memory was gone.

I can tell you from the two occasions I can remember the seizure episodes, that there is no warning really in a physical sense.. mine happened quite suddenly. I can only describe it like this.. I was feeling fine one minute (perhaps just a bit stressed out and very tired) and then suddenly I felt a weakness in my legs, the room seem to be spinning and everything went bright white and then very dark as I collapsed. After that I have no memory it was like sleeping and waking up on the floor with a terrible neck and back ache, and a sore bloodied mouth from where I must have been thrashing around and biting my lip. Was really quite strange on both occasions, after I came too which was several hours in both occasions, it was like I had a blank spot in my memory I could not recall falling and assumed I had fallen asleep on the floor. It was only when I noticed the bruises on my head, arms and sore lip and mouth I realised it was a seizure and fit. It took many months for my short-term memory to be functional again, in fact 2-3 years on, it's still not great. I'm sure the seizure has left me cognitive impaired as I struggle to concentrate on tasks but the neurologist said there was no sign of any physical damage to my brain luckily.

My advice to anyone with benzo dependency (especially to Xanax) is that if you don't take it for 24 hours, and aren't sleeping well and are under a lot of stress, that can be enough to bring on a seizure, you're far more likely to have one. Lack of sleep for days and stress are the key factors which can trigger a seizure in someone addicted to benzo's my neurologist said, also using stimulants or uppers for days and days to counter the effects of benzo brain fog and low motivation. He prescribed me clonazepam for 1 month to restore sleep cycle, and an anti-seizure medication for 6 months. Now I take Mirtazapine (an old anti-depressant good for sleep disorders and anxiety disorders) which helps regulate my sleep cycle.

Last edited:
i'm stuck on about 4 x 12 mg bromazepam a day. quiting completely seems impossible after three tries. if you want to lower your benzo tolerance you will need a sufficient substitute.
most medication doesn't work well or at all on me but i'm sure you could find something sedating that helps, i use trazodone and seroquel and alcohol and now and then grapefruit juice.

i will try to get of benzos completely with types of dissociatives. it's worth a try. but i need depakine for my epilepsy which can happen if you quit your benzo dose to quik. i see the vibrations of everything much clearer when i am close to having a seizure, or when i watch a television. so be safe. quitting completely after 12 years like me is impossible without substitutes.

maybe zolpidem, or pregabalin, or even certain anti-psychotics, anything sedating should basicly help replace a calm feeling while you build down your benzo tolerance. there is no such thing as quitting cold turkey when it comes to this. hyperventilation, isolation, panick attacks, the impossibility to search for help, being to scared to speak or eat, etc.

you need a replacement when you try to lower your dose. There is no other way, look and see what alternatives work for you.

I have found that Mirtazapine is very effective at not only calming you down if you're prone to anxiety but also lessening the withdrawal feelings of benzo drugs and also alcohol cravings (it's even prescribed for treating alcoholism and social anxiety in UK). It is a very heavy sedating novel anti-depressant though which acts on histamine receptors, the sedating effect is supposed to reduce over time or at higher doses, but I have been on it for 4 or 5 months now and it hasn't reduced much for me.